AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got Belden 1694A for video runs, but what should I use for line level audio runs? Is line level 75Ohm or 50Ohm or ?? The runs are for Subwoofer, Line level out of computer to amp located on the other side of the house etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I say run with the 1694A. That's what I'm using (well, the Canare L5-CFB anyway) for my line level audio runs.

I think if you check over in the audio forums its been suggested many a time to just go ahead and use good coax.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK cool

so is line level at 75 Ohms then ?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
That's my understanding. If you want, check the Audio Theory, Setup and Chat forum. I'm pretty sure I read quite a few comments there saying line level is 75 Ohms.

Even if its not, tons and tons of people are using RG6 coax for subwoofer interconnect and audio component interconnect. So you wouldn't be alone. :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Audio is so low in frequency, the characterisitic impedance of the cable doesn't matter. It just needs to be well-shielded and low-loss. Your RG-6 is fine.

Input impedances on receivers and other audio equipment are > 100K ohms. It doesn't matter that this doesn't terminate the cable impedance, as the cable lengths are far, far less than the wavelength of even the highest audio frequency.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.