AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a new HD TV, 1080p and all. Now I need to hook it up to my computer. My first thought was an hdmi cable, I was actually willing to get a new graphics card and a 25 foot hdmi cable to do this. However then I read that it turns out hdmi cables are silly and not actually better then old analog cables.

So now I'm thinking RGB is the best way to go apparently these are capable of resolutions that are higher then any tv on the market, including 1080.

To get down to the nitty of it then, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4650 with two (what apears to be) dvi-i plugs, and the circular plug, ( dun actually know what this is called, usually use to hook up tvs)

Oh, I also saw that using a DVI to Female BNC breakout adapter, together with a full-sized set of RGBHV cables is a good way to go. Problem is, I dun really know what any of that means.

What's the best way to hook it up to the tv.

(Hope this makes sense, little bit tired and a little bit scatterbrained.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the ATI Radeon 4850 and use a 25' hdmi cable from monoprice (was only $7). The card came with an adapter from dvi to hdmi and I get video and sound with just one cable.

The only problem I had was getting the image to fill the tv screen since vista uses 8% scaling by default. A forum member informed to go into the scaling options in catalyst control center and slide to 0%. Works like a charm now.

I have not used the s-video looking adapter (for the circular plug, looks like s-video with extra pins) that converts to component since this would require 5 cables to tv (3 for video, 2 for sound).

The hdmi for me was the easiest and picture is great for dvd's, hulu, etc.,

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the hdmi cable has trouble passing the signal, you will get sparklies on your tv. I found this out when I bought a cheap cable at best buy in the clearance bin.

A recommendation in these forums is to buy a cable with ferrite cores built in. They are basically two bumps near the ends of the cable that help prevent interference. All my cables are from monoprice and have not had any picture problems with them. I don't have blu-ray or 1080p sources on my computer, but regular dvd and movies on hulu look great on the 25' cable.

In the "Home Theater Computers" section, renethx has a great section on how to get audio over the dvi-hdmi connection. Search for "ATI Radeon HD 4600 & 4800 series support 7.1 channel HDMI audio!" which includes pictures on how to set up.

The bnc and rgbhv may work just as well, but I have not tried them. Hopefully another forum member can give his/her experiences with other types of cables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts