AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.....


I am purchasing my cabling from my AV closet to the PJ in the next few days. My HT installer is allowing me to do this to save a couple of dollars and put them elsewhere.


My big question is this. I am running an INFOCUS 7210 as my projector. IIRC there is a DVI connection at that end. My installer suggested using a DVI/HDMI combo for this. The DVI end will NOT fit through my conduit...RATZ. Do you think that I would be better off running an HDMI cable for the 30' run and then terminating it with a DVI/HDMI adapter at the projector end?


My thoughts are if I upgrade the PJ in the future it would just be as simple as removing the adapter if necessary.


Thoughts?????



Regards,


Mike
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,051 Posts
Exactly, run the hdmi cable and then use the dvi adapter and it should work perfectly. When you upgrade to your new projector someday, dvi wont even be in the picture as HDMi seems to be the standard now
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,215 Posts
I agree with Daniel, run the HDMI cable, but, there is the possiblity that you might get sparklies at that length. Because when you use a HDMI-to-DVI adapter, you are at the mercy of the DVI spec and not the improved HDMI specs.


Make sure the installer is willing to test the DVI cable and make sure it works perfectly with your equipment. Also, the source equipment plays as much a part in it working as the cable. If the source's DVI transmitter is strong, it should work, but if the DVD player or Sat receiver's DVI output is weak, then it may not work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttboy
Hi all.....


I am purchasing my cabling from my AV closet to the PJ in the next few days. My HT installer is allowing me to do this to save a couple of dollars and put them elsewhere.


My big question is this. I am running an INFOCUS 7210 as my projector. IIRC there is a DVI connection at that end. My installer suggested using a DVI/HDMI combo for this. The DVI end will NOT fit through my conduit...RATZ. Do you think that I would be better off running an HDMI cable for the 30' run and then terminating it with a DVI/HDMI adapter at the projector end?


My thoughts are if I upgrade the PJ in the future it would just be as simple as removing the adapter if necessary.


Thoughts?????



Regards,


Mike


The connector end on the IF is M1, not a DVI. You will need a M1/DVI or M1/HDMI adaptor,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sass
The connector end on the IF is M1, not a DVI. You will need a M1/DVI or M1/HDMI adaptor,


Hmmm....Not sure what an M1 is except for a rifle...LOL....


Rick....do they make adapters for HDMI to M1? Is it a type of DVI connector?


I went to the Infocus site...it does state that it is a DVI (M1) connector....is the difference to allow 2 way communication or something? Still trying to dig up info on the M1 connection...


Regards


Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,161 Posts
Your installer should know what the infocus FP needs....tell him what you have now decided to do and he'll take care of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rboster......I was told by my HT installer that I required a HDMI to DVI cable. He also stated that I could go the HDMI cable with a DVI adapter.


The reason I am asking in this forum is that I want to be well educated and knowledgeable on the subject...hence the reason for this post. I just wanted some clarification.


Do you know what it needs?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttboy
Hmmm....Not sure what an M1 is except for a rifle...LOL....


Rick....do they make adapters for HDMI to M1? Is it a type of DVI connector?


I went to the Infocus site...it does state that it is a DVI (M1) connector....is the difference to allow 2 way communication or something? Still trying to dig up info on the M1 connection...


Regards


Mike
Look here http://store.infocus.com/escalate/st...name=&tab=desc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rick!


EDIT:


I just ordered the M1 adapter from infocus...thanks for all the help everyone!


Regards,


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top