AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VGA will be cheaper. www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID533663&partno=00648&search= MONITOR&rsite=www.pccables.com&rcode= has cheap but good VGA cabling. They guarantee not to have ghosting. I bought their 15 footer ($13.50) and it works perfectly without any visible image degradation compared to the cheap 6 footer that came with my projector. Their cable has the magnets at the 2 ends to further shield from interference. It's also coax shielded so no interference. They have a 50 footer SVGA male to male cable for $30. They shipped my cable by ground and it came within 1 week. I'm very satisfied with their cable. Of course component allows you to vary the aspect and control color saturation while VGA is RGB so you'd have to change colors with your PC. You'd need a VGA switcher too since you want to input 2 sources into your projector. A good one can run $100-200. www.bettercables.com will be pricey and their cables are very good also. I'm just not sure if it's worth the price difference though.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Do a search for the long thread about RGBHV over shielded cat5 - if you're willing to solder a few ends you can get a better and cheaper cable from that than you can buy on the net, and the cable is more flexible (in every sense of the word).

------------------

Darren Rogers

God Bless America,

Land that I love.

Stand beside her, and guide her

Thru the night with a light from above.

From the mountains, to the prairies,

To the oceans, white with foam

God bless America, My home sweet home.

NEC VT540 & HTPC in my stealth theather

·
Registered
139 Posts
I will track down the thread. But it is hard for me to imagine that I could get the same quality of video signal through cat5.

If it is fact then that is great. I have cat 5 run all over the house.

George M

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt that you have shielded CAT5 all over your house as it's expensive. Unshielded CAT5 was inadequate. It was MrWiggles who first did this modification: www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006683.html

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
139 Posts
I need to run cables about 40' to my projector. It will be fed from satellite and computer.

What is the better cable to use from a computer --- component or vga?

Thanks

George M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.