AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, more newbish questions here.. getting ready to put in a cable order at monoprice and wanting to make sure I get it all in one go or at least as much as possible but having not done a real HT setup previously I'm not sure what I need to make sure to acquire or what cables come with the components. This will be in a 11 x 14 den area with a fireplace in the front of the room.. will get pictures and better dimensions up when I have a chance for exact measurements. As everyone can probably tell by the speaker list I'm trying for a 7.1 setup.

Components list:

Klipsch RB61 (front)

Klipsch RC52 ctr

Klipsch RB51 rear (wall mounted)

Klipsch RS42 sides (wall mounted)

Veldyne DLS3750R sub

Denon AVR2307CI reciever

Epson ProCinema1080 projector

For now I just have a standard $50 region free DVD player and I already have component cables for that but just the RCA audio cables.

I'm planning on running HDMI from the receiver to the projector so that one is taken care of, questions being what speaker cables do I need, I'm thinking 100' of 14AWG should be good for this setup, doing the longer cable runs through the attic and making sure to get the correct cable for the in-wall install. Is there any special cable for the sub? Should I acquire a digital audio cable to last me until I order an upconverting DVD player that has HDMI? They didn't seem to be that expensive. Anything else I should look out for?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
14 gauge wire is fine for your speaker connections. Be sure to measure each run and take into account any obstacles that you'll need to go around. I'd suggest having an extra 3 feet on each end (to reach the connectors on the equipment an/or speakers). IMO you'll need more than 100' for the 7 speakers (measure and make sure). Remember, you can always chop off an extra foot or so but you can't add more after you cut it! Ensure that the cable is plenum rated (i.e. fire code allows you to run it inside the walls). Part's Express and Home Depot are two likely sources for this cable.

Your subwoofer will require an RCA terminated coax cable. In the store these could be called anything including sub cable, digital cable, audio cable, and video cable. For your short runs (behind the equipment rack) the red/white/yellow RCA coax cables the come with your equipment are fine for audio. For video and your subwoofer runs you may want to ensure that you're getting a properly terminated coax with plenty of shielding. You could use one of the cheap RCAs for video pending your HDMI-capable DVD player or you could buy a component video cable (which you wouldn't use after HDMI). For all cables (including the sub cable that you'll need to buy) I really like Blue Jeans Cable (internet direct) but there are a lot of other custom cable resources. A 15 ft subwoofer cable will run you under $20 and will be made with the best possible components (Canare RCAPs and Belden cable). This is the stuff that broadcast studios use and is built for performance (not shiny displays at Best Buy).

A "digital audio cable" can be either optical or coax. I'd just use one strand of a red/white/yellow RCA (on the coax input/outputs) until you upgrade to HDMI.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Yep! Enjoy the new gear!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.