AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about done building my surround sound system and I'm reluctant to hang drywall just yet.

I have a 52" HDTV in my family remote, and all the components are in a AV closet about 25' away. My PC is in the next room (home office) with a wireless router for my laptop. All the components are hard wired and controlled with a URC MX-900 remote.

In the future (since I already blew my budget), I'd like to put a digital media receiver in the AV closet so I can use Windows Media Center on the HDTV, and also add a digital TV Tuner card to my PC.

The BIG question?? What cables do I need to put in the walls today so I can hook these up in the future? I have no idea how these are wired...any help would be great!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
A digital media receiver and Windows Media Center are generally an either/or proposition unless your DMR is a Windows Media Center Extender. Can you clarify your intentions for the DMR?

Depending on your answer, you may or may not need to get your PC directly connected to your AVR or TV. Assuming you do, here are some options:

For the HD Video signal:

- run DVI/HDMI over DVI/HDMI cable

- run DVI/HDMI over cat 5 using baluns

- run component video over 3 x coax (if your video card supports component)

- run component video over cat 5 using baluns (if your video card supports component)

For the audio portion:

- run digital audio over HDMI (make sure your audio card supports this)

- run digital audio over 1 x coax

- run digital audio over 1 x optical

- run analog audio over coax (8 separate lines for 7.1)

- run analog over cat 5 using baluns

Hope that helps.

EDIT: looking over your original post, it does seem that you want to use a Windows Media Center Extender. In that case, you just need to get Ethernet to the A/V closet, which you can do over cat 5e (recommended) or wirelessly.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
I suggest every TV have three cat-5 or better yet, cat-6 cables. With dual cat-5 you can get HD video to it and the extra cat-5 can be used for serial control of the set or as back up, in case the others is bad! The cost to run 3 wires vs one is minimal.

In my case, I also ran HDMI plus 5 coax. The latter is back up for HDMI not working

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
EDIT: looking over your original post, it does seem that you want to use a Windows Media Center Extender. In that case, you just need to get Ethernet to the A/V closet, which you can do over cat 5e (recommended) or wirelessly.

That is exactly what I want to do. So with the DMR in the A/V closet, I assume the signal from the DMR goes to the receiver, which goes to the HDTV?

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtooleyman /forum/post/17027612

That is exactly what I want to do. So with the DMR in the A/V closet, I assume the signal from the DMR goes to the receiver, which goes to the HDTV?

Several options. If your AVR is connected to your HDTV through HDMI, your AVR has an available HDMI input, and you get an Extender that has an HDMI out (like the Linksys DMA2100), then simply connect the Extender to your AVR via HDMI and you are done.

You can also connect audio out from the Extender to your AVR and then go HDMI or component out directly from the Extender to your HDTV. This requires an extra video cable running from your AV setup to your HDTV, so may as well avoid this option if you can.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
And as often noted, for future-proofing your house use large plastic conduit or smurf tubing in the walls so can always pull different cable through the walls if desired at a later date.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.