AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone!

 

I'm new here and I'd like to buy a new camcorder. I have the Canon Vixia M52, but there's a lot of grain in the dark, no wide angle, no viewfinder... I've been searching on the web for 1 month now, but it's really hard to find the right one. So I decided to ask directly on this forum :)

 

First, one really important thing for me is the video format. Most of today's camcorders record in AVCHD. I DON'T want AVCHD. It's such a complicated format: on the PC, the file properties say "50 FPS", and when I import the video file in most of my editing programs, it says 25 FPS. I previously bought the Sony CX220, and had many aspect ratio problems in programs like After Effects. I don't want to convert videos each time I want to edit them, it's a waste of time, loss of quality, and even format problems remaining on some programs.

 

I prefer the MP4 (h.264) format, which is perfect.

 

I plan to film at night, and record stars in the sky. My Canon sees stars really well, but the grain is unbearable, and makes the stars impossible to distinguish on the PC (less grain appears on the Canon's LCD than on the PC screen. You first think video looks good, but when you watch on the PC it's just horrible).

 

So, here are the specs I'd like my camcorder to have:

 

- MP4 format

- Large sensor = low grain

- Viewfinder if possible

- Wide angle

- Ability to screw lenses (like fisheye, wide angle, lens hood...)

- Mic input

- 10x optical zoom at least

- Focus ring

- Fast zooming

 

I know, it's probably not evident to find... :/

My budget is 1000 $ max. I spotted the JVC PX-100, which looks nice. Seems you can't add lenses, am I wrong? I also heard about the Panasonic x920, seems awesome, but can I record in MP4?

 

 

Thanks in advance, have a nice day.

 

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
AVCHD is not complicated at all. Sounds like you're having an issue with your editor,


and...

Quote:
AVCHD (Wikipedia):


For video compression, AVCHD uses the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 standard, supporting a variety of standard, high definition, and stereoscopic (3D) video resolutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Overview


You should consider an interchangeable lens camera, DSLR or mirrorless, which have larger image sensors than a camcorder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws  /t/1523924/what-camcorder-should-i-buy#post_24520566


You should consider an interchangeable lens camera, DSLR or mirrorless, which have larger image sensors than a camcorder.

I almost bought a DSLR two months ago, when I discovered the sensor overheating problem, video limitations (7-15 min.), massive file sizes (250-300 mb for 1 minute) and huge prices for zoom lenses.


I'm now hesitating a lot. Should I buy the Canon G30 or the JVC PX100 ? Maybe I'm gonna start a new topic about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCameraman  /t/1523924/what-camcorder-should-i-buy#post_24549082


I almost bought a DSLR two months ago, when I discovered the sensor overheating problem, video limitations (7-15 min.), massive file sizes (250-300 mb for 1 minute) and huge prices for zoom lenses.


I'm now hesitating a lot. Should I buy the Canon G30 or the JVC PX100 ? Maybe I'm gonna start a new topic about that.

I am only familiar with the Canon camcorders with that image sensor size. They are good "low light" for a camcorder, but will be nowhere near that capability a DSLR or mirrorless/micro-four thirds camera like the Panasonic GH3 (no overheating/can shoot .mov files/time limited by card capacity if NTSC/in U.S.).


Maybe someone else has the JVC can offer some thoughts.

The technology is going to be impressive with either camcorder, perhaps it's a matter of brand preference and/or form factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCameraman  /t/1523924/what-camcorder-should-i-buy#post_24519559


I DON'T want AVCHD. It's such a complicated format: on the PC, the file properties say "50 FPS", and when I import the video file in most of my editing programs, it says 25 FPS. I previously bought the Sony CX220, and had many aspect ratio problems in programs like After Effects. I don't want to convert videos each time I want to edit them, it's a waste of time, loss of quality, and even format problems remaining on some programs.
Do not use crappy programs. Know what you deal with, for example traditional interlaced video is 25 frames/s, interlaced, or 50 unique images/s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think after effects is a crappy program. The MP4 format remains the best for my personal use, like motion tracking or even simple video transfer to an iPad (only accepts MP4 h264).


That's why I'd like to know if there are some Canon users or JVC users who could help me.



Thanks a lot to everyone !
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top