AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my panasonic TM900 a few years ago. Loved it. Used it extensively. Bought a whole bunch of accessories for it including extras batteries, wide angle lens etc.... Then in January the camcorder died on me. It would turn on but then get an error message. I had bought one of those extended warranties and part of the deal is that if they haven't repaired your camera within 60 days they give you a store credit for the amount you paid. Day 61 is today. i really wish they would have been able to repair the camcorder. Of course the store no longer carries any Panasonic camcorders. So I don't necessarily have to use my store credit for a new camcorder I could use it on a different purchase. But I really need a camcorder soon so I have some decisions to make!! So my choices are...

1. Find a used TM900 at a decent price. Not easy to find, plus I am a little paranoid that the problem I have would happen with a used camera eventually. But I really did like the TM900 so I would consider this. especially since i spent a lot of money on accessories.

2. Buy a newer Panasonic camcorder, and be able to use some of the accessories i already own.

HCV720 -- batteries won't be compatible, but the lenses are interchangeable.

HCX920 -- the batteries I have would work but I don't think I could use the 46mm lenses I have because the HCX920 uses 49mm.

3. Buy a different brand camcorder altogether. Any recommendations on high end prosumer HD camcorders that works well in low light situations and has a 3.5" viewer?

Opinions? Advice?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi agileborderterriers - sorry to hear about your loss. I still have a 2 year old TM900 and it's a great camera.

Thankfully, mine still works - but I have been thinking about replacing it with a new larger sensor camcorder, the Sony CX900 , in order to get a little more control over depth of field.

That said, if you want an upgrade for your TM900 for half the cost of the CX900 , and you want to be able to use your 46mm lens accessories on a 49mm lens, you might want to try the $730 X920 and an inexpensive 49mm to 46mm step-down ring .

That way, you can continue to use the same batteries and accessories you used on your TM900 .

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

·
Registered
853 Posts
LoL, I have a TM700 with the wide angle adapter and extra extended batteries. Mine still works, but I'm upgrading to the Sony AX100 for better low light image quality (much larger sensor, better dynamic range, twice the resolution). Bill's suggestion of an X920 is good, it's a small but clear improvement on the TM900.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts