AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

I have a Denon 4800 ( A10, European ). audible distorsion on dvds in multichannel mode has some how increased since the last 2 months.

I don't push it too hard ( rarely go over -12dB on the vol knob )and the channels are all at 0 or under. I use high sensitive speakers.

I wonder if some "issues" I had with the HTPC sound card (spdif and way too long cable ) could have "caused" something. I also had some increase in the background noise, especially on the surrounds.

well, if anyone has a clue... thanks

· Registered
321 Posts
Another possibility is if your electrical power has become "dirty" and you have not added effective power conditioning as part of your system you might be experiencing distortion now that wasn't there before. The utility company may have changed equipment, maybe faces greater loads than it had to supply before with a deleterious effect on the current delivered to your home, etcetera...

Burke

· Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys

argh! yeah, heard that blown tweeters could also in return damage the amp.

I reset my Denon processor. I also check inside and noticed 2 condensators above the amplifiers central channel were connected by a plastic or so substance. a friend told me this sometimes is done in factory to protect some components from transport.

I cut it to separate the two.

everything seems fine now but I need further testing.

of course, the likelyhood of changes in the electrical system in the building is a possibility. and neibhoors have lots of computers beneath my place.

I use an electrical anti-parasite and anti-thunder device to protect the amp and player, for what it's worth.

the mysteries of the electricity....

you know what is the bottom line for me ? use pro amps with clips indicators, clip limiters, plenty of headroom, very strong speakers and a clean power source :D argh!

· Registered
1,168 Posts
"I use an electrical anti-parasite and anti-thunder device to protect the amp and player, for what it's worth."

You use a WHAAAT?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.