AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I just bought a TCP58S1 and have it set up. Although the picture looks good I was expecting better, Blu Ray looks grainy and my HDTV signal does not look much better then my Hitachi CRT rear projection I just got rid of. Are there any settings I can change to make it look better? PLEASE HELP

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C Da Rolla /forum/post/18284245

Hi There, I just bought a TCP58S1 and have it set up. Although the picture looks good I was expecting better, Blu Ray looks grainy and my HDTV signal does not look much better then my Hitachi CRT rear projection I just got rid of. Are there any settings I can change to make it look better? PLEASE HELP

CRT RPTVs do look very good. Some movies are grainy by design and the TV may be accurately displaying what the producer intended. Have you tried watching an animated Pixar movie? And since HD on cable TV is often overly compressed, the large and more accurate S1 could just be revealing the flaws in the signal.

How close are your eyes to the screen?

What picture mode and settings are you using for Cable?

What picture mode and settings are you using for Blu-Ray?

Who is your cable provider? And do you have a current/new HD cable box?

Can you connect an antenna and compare the local HD programming to the same channel through your cable box? OTA is always better, sometimes WAY better.

Fill in the blanks so we can see what's going on (this is the G10 menu so some settings don't apply to an S1):

Source/Input ___________________ (like Comcast via Component, or Blu-Ray via HDMI)

Picture Mode: _____

Contrast: _____

Bright: _____

Color: _____

Tint: _____

Sharp: _____

Color Temp: _____

Color Mgmt: _____

x.v. Color: _____

CATS: _____

Video NR: _____

Zoom Adjust: _____

3D Y/C Filter: _____

Color Matrix: _____

Block NR: _____

Mosquito NR: _____

Black Level: _____

3:2 Pulldown: _____

24p Direct In: _____

HD Size:_____

H Size: _____

Here's a link to my G10's settings - maybe try these and see if they look good to you. I've used this as a starting point on a couple of 50S1s that i set up for friends and family:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4428

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
You might be seeing reality. Depending on quality of your HD feed, the RPCRT might have even looked better if it concealed some flaws. And film grain is film grain. A lot of people seem surprised by this...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts