AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CPU that I pulled from my ex490 Mediasmart server. Can I make a SFF htpc?

Is it worth buying an LGA 775 m/b and maybe a graphics card?

I've heard that Celerons were sometimes used for HTPCs.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The hard part with LGA775 and SFF will be finding a decent mini-ITX motherboard with a PCI-e x16 slot.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
IMO, no. Single core 2.2GHz is too weak, LGA775 is obsolete.

BTW new Celeron G540 2.5GHz 2-core, $52, and G530 2.4GHz 2-core, $42, are available on September 4. Integrated graphics is very good (if it is the same as Pentium) and a cheap H61 mb is easy to find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's what I thought. It's hard to see hardware go to waste.

Looking on newegg, it would cost the same to put together a system with newer components.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20857472

IMO, no. Single core 2.2GHz is too weak, LGA775 is obsolete.

I have a Q9400 system on which the Mobo seems to be progressively failing. I assume that, while obsolete, that's still plenty fast to be worth buying a new LGA775 motherboard, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20858291

I have a Q9400 system on which the Mobo seems to be progressively failing. I assume that, while obsolete, that's still plenty fast to be worth buying a new LGA775 motherboard, isn't it?

Depends on the use-case. If you can get a $50 motherboard, sure why not. If you have to spend more than $100 for a mobo, I'd be more inclined to go with H61 + Pentium G620 if you don't need the power of a quad-core. Should lower power consumption, too (perhaps by more than half at idle).

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had to replace a 775 motherboard to use as a computer for one of the kids. The pickings are getting real slim. I ended up with a cheap Gigabyte G41 board. I would not have picked this board, but I really couldn't find anything better. Just keep this in mind when your thinking about buying new 775 stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.