AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The installer comes tomorrow...I requested a 6 room setup (have a big house). Currently have cable coming through attic for upstairs rooms and basement for first level and basement rooms.

My question is, what can I expect from the Directv install? Do they take the path of least resistance and just try to drill into each floor seperately, or will he follow some routing current cable has? My fear is that he will just take the easiest path possible. The dish is going to have to go on the roof...I have already confirme that with a site survey by another local guy.

Forecast for tomorrow here in CT - cold (about 15-20 degrees), windy, chance of snow flurries. Wanna bet I go another week at least without satellite??

Thanks for any experiences...

Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
It all depends on the installer. D* installers are all independent contractors. Hell, my neighbor and I both had installation appoints for the same day, 2 hours apart (we both moved into new construction at the same time). We both had different installers. Not to mention the fact that my installer didn't even show up that day, he showed up the next day.

The installers get paid a flat rate by D* for the installation, so they will do it the quickest easiest way possible so they can go on to the next one. Most likely the cable from the dish on the roof will run down the side of the house and into your basement. From the basement they will take the path of least resistance to each room in your house. With luck your installer might even have an 8 port multiswitch to install, but I wouldn't count on it. My experience with D* installers are they are not very skilled, they are not very motivated, and they don't really care about astetics.

Oh, did I mention the fact that my installer had forgotten to charge the batteries for their cordless drills and had to use mine?

If you really want the cable runs in your house to be decent, run them yourself, or hire a reputable firm that does low voltage wiring to do it for you. The only thing I let the installers do was stick the dish on the roof, run the cable down the side of the house, into the basement, then to my distribution panel. I would never have let these bozos close to a sheetrocked wall, or a carpeted floor. The D* installers are probably the people that the local cable company fired because they did such a crappy job :)

This ofcourse was my first time I let D* do the install for me, and I only did it because I was in the middle of moving, and I don't have a 50' extension lader to reach up 3 stories, nor do I want to align the dish up that high. I had previously installed D* on 3 different homes (not all mine) but all were on the side of homes.

Ofcourse, this is just my experience. And to be fair, this was an install that was contracted out directly by DirecTV Movers Connection that was installing previously owned equipment. Experiences might, and most likely are very different for someone who purchased a system from a local satellite shop, and the satellite shop is doing the install, as they have a vested intrest in making you happy, you just bought alot of hardware from them, plus they still get their cash from D* for the install. The independent installers have no interest other then getting their $100 or so and going home to watch TV afterwards.

Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
The installer I had from D* left me with such crappy conections I had to pay an independent contracter $100 to reconnect everything again. In retrospect it is obvious to me guy from D* didn't give a damn. He also would't return calls.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My parents did the $399 deal from DirecTV in November. They called me twice while the installer was there. I installed their previous SD D* setup about 5 years ago. The installer did not understand the setup I had with Diplexers so I did not have to run new wire at the time since they were keeping their basic cable. Overall they did a nice job with the dish. They installed it near the roofline on the side of the house and ran the wires neatly along the edge so they are hardly noticable. They then just attached to the existing wiring from my install which routes everthing into the basement to the central TV wiring hub for all of the house.

But wait....my parents complained that the picture was not "incredible" as they expected on their Pioneer Elite Widescreen HDTV. I didn't think much of it until I went to visit over the holidays to find they had attached the D* HD receiver to their TV using only the RCA patch cables. They did not use the HD Component Cables!

At the same time they also installed for them a D* TIVO DVR. They put the TIVO under their center channel speaker. This caused the TIVO to overheat and they lost one of the two tuners in December before I arrived. D* did send them out a new one but told them they would charge them if someone needed to come out and install it!

My parents are not the most technical people in the world so I usually take care of this stuff for them but I live 3 hour away. Needless to say D* got an earfull from me.

They are coming to my house on Monday to install a new Trible LNB dish and HD Receiver. I can't wait to see how it goes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! With 15 degree temps and wind chills to -10 I have a feeling I am going to get a rush job tomorrow...if he comes at all.

Diplexers...hmmm...I'd like to keep current cable just in case sat goes out...I'll have to search forum here on that subject. I assume that would make it somewhat easier for Directv installer then?

Chris

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, worst fears came true this morning...got a call from install company..."truck will not be able to roll into your area this morning...please call Directv to reschedule."

Blah!! You wait 2-3 weeks and then get pushed off. I expected as much really. Irony is today was actually a good day on east coast to get the install done. No wind...no snow...just cold.

Rescheduled for Tuesday...but snow in forecast starting tomorrow night into Tuesday. Why do I think I won't have this thing in until the Yanks open up in April? Frustrating...

Chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm moving into a high rise in Boston on Feb 3rd and the building will not allow me to have any drilling whatsoever done. They say I can have DTV but I'll have to use flatwire or something. Somehow I doubt the DTV installer is going to have any available, so I'm guessing I'll have him use traditional cable which I'll have to replace with flatwire. At least that's what I'm thinking about doing...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh boy...this is not going well. After last saturday's cancel by the install company because the "truck broke down", the tech arrived yesterday morning. But wouldn't you know it, he came with a Basic dish, not the triple LNB needed for my setup, did not have an 8-way multi-switch as was requested, and only had a 20 foot ladder which would not have reached to my roof peak anyway!

Taking one more shot...Friday morning. If that one craps out then I think the writing is on the wall...Directv and HDTV just won't be in my future!!

Frustrating...

C

·
Registered
213 Posts
I share your frustration. I actually talked with a supervisor of the company that is doing my second attempt and he promises me the guy coming on Feb 6th is good. He also said he can get onto my roof, which the last guy said he wouldn't do. Since Monday I have also found:

* The installer just left my old dish laying the bushes next to the new dish.

* The installer wanted to run the cable into my basement by drilling thru my poured concrete walls. Half way thru his cordless drill died and I had to loan him my electic drill. He then gave up and and said he would fill in the hole. He used the grouning block to try and hide the fact that he did not fill in the hole.

* Overall the job was very sloppy. The next guy is going to find me looking over his shoulder the entire time.

These guys just want to get it and get out. If you want it done right you better make sure you are there watching!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oilcandan
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm moving into a high rise in Boston on Feb 3rd and the building will not allow me to have any drilling whatsoever done. They say I can have DTV but I'll have to use flatwire or something. Somehow I doubt the DTV installer is going to have any available, so I'm guessing I'll have him use traditional cable which I'll have to replace with flatwire. At least that's what I'm thinking about doing...
Do your entire install yourself before he arrives, then just have him setup the dish and install the box. If you're going to have to redo it, you might as well just do it right the first time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey...an update! Yet another Directv installer came today...would not do install due to snow on roof. Told me to call back and reschedule for sometime in spring!!

I am 0-4 now. My next step is to get someone here who can put my current cable on a diplexer and run new sat wires if required so all the Directv installer has to do is hook it up to satellite when he installs that.

There is no way I want these guys drilling new holes into my rooms and running wires all around house as opposed to diplexing and taking advantage of current cabling. 3 out of the 4 that came made it obvious they want to get in and out. Only 1 guy seemed very good and knew what I wanted/should do. Of course I requested him as the tech for this morning but they sent someone else!

Thanks for all the warnings guys...you were right!

No Superbowl in HD this year for me : (

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.