AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thread earlier this year http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229977 asking this question and the input was helpful, I never really did get an answer to what I was looking for.

I am looking to replace my DSP-E492. I don't want a receiver, but simply a processor to take the place of the 492.

Is there anything out there that is comparable to the 492, but upgraded? Thanks.

vmax84

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax84
I had a thread earlier this year http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229977 asking this question and the input was helpful, I never really did get an answer to what I was looking for.

I am looking to replace my DSP-E492. I don't want a receiver, but simply a processor to take the place of the 492.

Is there anything out there that is comparable to the 492, but upgraded? Thanks.

vmax84
Basically NOTHING has changed since you last posted this question. The only difference is that the [current model] Yamaha receiver we would now suggest is the RX-V667/RX-A700 (rather than the RX-V665).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you're saying is that if I want a processor, I have to get a receiver?? There has to be something out there that is a stand alone processor that is an upgrade to my 492.

vmax84

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax84 /forum/post/19651600

So what you're saying is that if I want a processor, I have to get a receiver?? There has to be something out there that is a stand alone processor that is an upgrade to my 492.

vmax84

Sure there is, but how much do you want to spend? You could try the Emotiva UMC1. It appears to be problematic, but they are continuing to work on it. How long until all problems or kinks are worked out is anyones guess. There are some happy owners of it, but it also seems they have had as many sent back as they have had keepers. If you are a tweaker and like to help work out bugs go for that one. If not then go for a Intergra 40.2 or 80.2. Onkyo also has some pre-amps that deserve a look. The new Marantz 7005 seems to be working as advertised and there is a dedicated thread for it. Check it out. Contact ccotenj. He had an Integra 80.2 that he was selling for a very good price. $2K pre-amp for less than 1/2 of that. Good luck and hope you find what you want. Below is the link from this site for that Marantz unit. Its the AV7005.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1266725

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Quote:
Wow, I'm not sure if I wanted to spend THAT much money on a processor!!! (runs down in the basement and hauls up his old Technics SA-DX950). lol

vmax84
How much are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Something in the $500 range.

vmax84
Everyone would like that. I am hearing deals on Denon 4310CI at Best Buy on closeout. for $500. That is a receiver with preouts.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Quote:
What's Audiogon?

vmax84
Its a site that sells new and used equipment. Anything audio from different makers is in there. www.audiogon.com . Find something there from a trusted seller new or used and go for it. Research,research,research before you buy. Kinda like an Ebay for electronics.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have been trying to figure out an affordable alternative to using a receiver as a processor, and I still have not seen one.

Economy of scale...you are paying less so who cares if the amps draw a little power. The chips probably generate more heat than the amps, least that seems to be the case, when we went through a time of very hot receivers, like the RX-V2700, with no indication the amp circuitry changed much.

Some receivers may have low pre out voltage, but it's not clear that this usually causes problems for people. There's direct boxes which could solve that problem for under a $100, which is still cheaper than most processors when combined with a mid range receiver...and you have amps, if needed for zones or whatever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts