AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I having been slowly getting used to the fact that I have to replace my Replays and I have been running SageTV on my PC and recording OTA HD mp4 and watching them via SMB share on my Boxee and via DLNA server on my TV via PlayOn.

I am thinking of ditching the Boxee b/c it can't do a bunch of things I need it to do correctly. I am thinking maybe a HD300 would be an answer.

What I need it to do is:
  • recognize my ripped dvds(VOBs) in their video_ts folders and play them with menu support
  • thumbnail and play my AVIs shot from my canon camera that are shared via SMB
  • play MP3 with playlist support and the option of playing all albums by an artist (shared via SMB)
  • play my recorded sageTV mp4s that are on the same PC with everything else

I would also love DLNA support and the ability to connect to PlayOn but this is also built into my TV so not a deal breaker.

I would like Netflix streaming and maybe Hulu+ but it is not a deal breaker as this (although lo-res) is also available through PlayOn.

I have read all of the HD300 specs but I can't figure out what sort of online connections it has and what internet apps or sources it can play.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am also curious about this. I have tried out both boxee and sage on my laptop to get a feel for them but have not done extensive testing. Seems like Sage does not get the love Dune, Boxee, netgear and pch's get. Why is this? The little bit I used Sage it seemed good with my movies. Also from whT I've read it plays back virtually very format but I'm not sure on this. I know its suppose to bitstream hd audio. What I want is something that will

1 play all bd rips flawless

2 bitsream hd audio

3. Get as close to mediabrowser/xbmc as a streamer can in regards to GUI

fanart, ect.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz /forum/post/19520087

I am also curious about this. I have tried out both boxee and sage on my laptop to get a feel for them but have not done extensive testing. Seems like Sage does not get the love Dune, Boxee, netgear and pch's get. Why is this? The little bit I used Sage it seemed good with my movies. Also from whT I've read it plays back virtually very format but I'm not sure on this. I know its suppose to bitstream hd audio. What I want is something that will

1 play all bd rips flawless

2 bitsream hd audio

3. Get as close to mediabrowser/xbmc as a streamer can in regards to GUI

fanart, ect.

1. Yes, but just main movie (so no full BD Menus)

2. Yes

3. You will need to run the HD300 in extender moder to get anywhere near mediabrowser/xbmc. Even in extender mode there aren't a lot of choices to spruce up the UI. Right now I use teh Sage MyMovies plugin ( see my writeup here ). There is also another Jukebox type replacement called Phoenix which is supposed to be coming out in the near future

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousFoxide /forum/post/19520025

So I having been slowly getting used to the fact that I have to replace my Replays and I have been running SageTV on my PC and recording OTA HD mp4 and watching them via SMB share on my Boxee and via DLNA server on my TV via PlayOn.

I am thinking of ditching the Boxee b/c it can't do a bunch of things I need it to do correctly. I am thinking maybe a HD300 would be an answer.

What I need it to do is:
  • recognize my ripped dvds(VOBs) in their video_ts folders and play them with menu support
  • thumbnail and play my AVIs shot from my canon camera that are shared via SMB
  • play MP3 with playlist support and the option of playing all albums by an artist (shared via SMB)
  • play my recorded sageTV mp4s that are on the same PC with everything else

I would also love DLNA support and the ability to connect to PlayOn but this is also built into my TV so not a deal breaker.

I would like Netflix streaming and maybe Hulu+ but it is not a deal breaker as this (although lo-res) is also available through PlayOn.

I have read all of the HD300 specs but I can't figure out what sort of online connections it has and what internet apps or sources it can play.

1. Yes to ripped DVDs with menu support (you only get menu support with DVDs but not BluRays)

2. Yes to AVI

3. I have never tested out playlilst support but I can play album by artists

4. Yes, mp4 support works without issue

5. DLNA support is there, as well as PlayOn (there is even a plugin in extender mode to integrate Playon more closely with SageTV)

6. Currently no Netflix or Hulu+ native support (only option being Playon).

You can see my review of the HD300 here - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...d-theater-300/

If you do go with t eh HD300 I highly recommend going with the extender mode over the standalone mode for a much more refined UI/experience

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've been searching as well for something that is easier to use than my HTPC. I am currently using Mediabrowser inside of WMC. I would like something that just works. I am tired of the little hiccups that always occur with the HTPC. All of my music and videos are on a Windows home server. Movies were ripped using tsmuxer and then image burn to create ISO's. Probably half are Bluray's. My hope is to get an extender for the living room to replace the HTPC for movie playback and then get an additional extender for the bedroom so that I can access my content from there as well. I really don't want another HTPC for there since you constantly have to do maintenance on them. Just want something easy. Reading thru the various threads, I think I am down to Dune and Sage. I am leaning towards Sage for the PVR function as well. I have a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR that I am currently using to just get selected programs off my Dish DVR. Is the Sage HD300 reliable? For the owners out there, does it play Bluray ISO's reliably? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts