AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering buying a PS3 solely for the Blu-ray player and ability to download movies via Netflix.

Is there a defintive list somewhere that covers everything that the PS3 is capable of doing?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18130864

If Blu-Ray and Netflix are all you want the system for, why do you care about everything else it does?

p.s. wikipedia is as good a place to start as any other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Well, to clarify-those were my original intents.

However, id like to be able to stream movies from my desktop wireless through it (and music if possible).

So, am interested in literally everything/anything it can do.

Tried Wikipedia-wasnt ample info there.

I feel like someone has to have put together a list somewhere....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/18130981

Didn't you see the commercial? "It Only Does Everything". Sorry, couldn't resist
. Of course it streams, both music and video.

i knew someone was gonna hit me with that eventually

Does it stream bitperfect? (is that even possible wirelessly?)

Any other interesting, obscure things it can?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It can cure cancer! ...no seriously. Try Life with Playstation

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel /forum/post/18130904

However, id like to be able to stream movies from my desktop wireless through it (and music if possible).

So, am interested in literally everything/anything it can do.

Tried Wikipedia-wasnt ample info there.

I feel like someone has to have put together a list somewhere....
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
not sure what bitperfect is. but out of the box you can connect to a windows pc and stream most music and video files. for the files that the ps3 cannot play natively, there are programs to convert them, or the easier thing to do is get PS3 Media Server, it does all the converting on the fly while streaming.

and an FYI streaming from a wireless pc to a wireless ps3 wont work, there just isnt enough bandwidth. music maybe, but movies probably not. at least either the pc or ps3 should be wired.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You can stream movies and tv shows from your computer - I mostly use it for that. You can also stream music from your computer. I've read that apparently you can rip CDs with it, I've never tried though.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel /forum/post/18130904

If that's what you're hoping for, you're in luck. Most folks around here use their PS3s to stream movies/tv shows/music. Easy to do. There's a bit more it can do, but as others have already said, it all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I for one am disappointed in both the PS3 and the XB360 when it comes to media streaming/playback. If your content is supported, it works great. If your content is not supported then you either need to repackage or transcode. Most of the 100% effective streaming solutions use transcoding.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/18132378

If that's what you're hoping for, you're in luck. Most folks around here use their PS3s to stream movies/tv shows/music. Easy to do. There's a bit more it can do, but as others have already said, it all depends on what you want.

Great.

I guess my question now is, if I have a lossless file on iTunes and I stream it to my PS3, will it still be lossless quality when it gets there?

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam856 /forum/post/18131839

I use mine for games, Blu-ray movies, Netflix, pandora and streaming all my music/movies from my PC....then folds a WU before shut down. It's the center of my entertainment area

The PS3 is the center of my rack too and I use it for all it's capabilities to some extent. Recently though I've been looking at ways to get the ps3 off my rack by the TV due to noise. I'm going to try putting it in the closet I think. When I got it (40 gb PS3) it was dead quiet but it's just gotten louder and louder recently to where it's distracting during quient scenes in movies. I've vaccumed it regularly and everything. For me that's the only issue with the hardware. I'm sure it doesn't bother some but potential owners should know that it could get loud.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel /forum/post/18133959

Great.

I guess my question now is, if I have a lossless file on iTunes and I stream it to my PS3, will it still be lossless quality when it gets there?

I'll say a tentative "yes." It should be able to handle most major audio formats via media server/TVersity. You'll need to double check the audio settings and make sure the media server programs aren't doing anything weird transcoding-wise. But should be just fine.

Someone around here probably has a more technical answer if you want one.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 /forum/post/18133957

I for one am disappointed in both the PS3 and the XB360 when it comes to media streaming/playback. If your content is supported, it works great. If your content is not supported then you either need to repackage or transcode. Most of the 100% effective streaming solutions use transcoding.

It can be annoying sometimes, especially with AVIs, which are supported sometimes and not supported others. While file format support is poor, the viewing interface is great. I used to have an old (awful) toshiba laptop hooked up to my TV via VGA and it would often stutter, crash 30 minutes into an hourlong show (and not start back up), or not zoom properly.

With the PS3 slim, I get to browse, pause and play with the remote that came with my TV (which has HDMI-CEC). The worst thing I've had happen with the PS3 is the fan gets a little loud after a while, which only I notice.

I can imagine something like the WDTV is better as far as file format, but that's one more box on my shelf (with one more plug and remote), and it doesn't play DVDs or BD.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/18131738

and an FYI streaming from a wireless pc to a wireless ps3 wont work, there just isnt enough bandwidth. music maybe, but movies probably not. at least either the pc or ps3 should be wired.

i do this on a mac using PS3 media server, but is that streaming in the same sense that you're talking about? not sure if media server actually streams it over in the true sense of the word. but these are mostly divx avis and not a full rip of a movie with 5.1 sound and all. is that where the bandwidth would choke?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
but these are mostly divx avis and not a full rip of a movie with 5.1 sound and all. is that where the bandwidth would choke?

you can stream compressed movies, like your divx files, from wifi to wifi just fine. i also have had some luck streaming dvd's, but once you get into HD files, there is not enough bandwidth in a wifi network to do that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.