AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about building a HTPC to mainly do PVR, store dvd's on a HD, and listen to stored MP3's/shoutcast streams.

I want to try different software for Linux and windows, so I'd like to get a capture card that works w/ both.

What are my options?

ati AIW series ( I was thinking 7500 AIW)

a Hauppauge model? something else?

thanks!:D

· Registered
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by setherd
I am thinking about building a HTPC to mainly do PVR, store dvd's on a HD, and listen to stored MP3's/shoutcast streams.

I want to try different software for Linux and windows, so I'd like to get a capture card that works w/ both.

What are my options?

Best analog card: Bt8x8-based cards (Non-PVR hauppauge analogs, for example) are very well supported by DScaler and Linux.

The XCapture (More recent Conexant chip) has higher analog quality but no Linux driver yet.

If you want a card with integrated MPEG encoding, I'm not sure. Hauppauge WinTV-PVR USB versions work in Linux minus the tuner, PCI ones do not. (Well, not completely. You can use them as an analog capture card just like the Bt8x8 cards, but not yet for digital capture, although I saw a reference on the dvdauthor mailing lists to someone who had MPEG encoding on the PCI versions working, but that project hasn't been released yet.)

If you want HD capability, you're screwed. No HD cards work in Linux, and few ever will. (Anything based on a TeraLogic chipset most likely will never work. The DVICO Fusion might eventually work, and it might work right now as an analog card, no one has tried it yet though.)

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by setherd

What are my options?

The FlyVideo 2000/3000 (based on the new Philips SAA713x chip) is supported in both Linux and Windows AFAIK.

There have been reports that it produces a better picture than the Xcapture card (based on the newer Conexant chip). I haven't tried the Xcapture or any other cards based on the newer Conexant CX2388x chip, but the FlyVideo 3000 produces a nice image with Dscaler, even on composite inputs.

I'm finding Windows support under 98SE to be a bit flaky for the FlyVideo 3000 and doesn't meet my capture needs, so am looking into Linux myself.

Ian

· Registered
2,067 Posts
I have tried the FusionHDTV with Linux, but not had any success. It recognizes the bt878 chip, but it does not display analog sources with the Linux TV apps that I tried. (But, I have no previous experience with TV display cards.. maybe someone more knowledgeable in this area can get more out of the card than I did).

"If you want HD capability, you're screwed. No HD cards work in Linux, and few ever will. (Anything based on a TeraLogic chipset most likely will never work. The DVICO Fusion might eventually work, and it might work right now as an analog card, no one has tried it yet though.)"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.