AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a pair of used Infinity SM122's to start off my new 5.1 setup. I have been reading about matching tibmre's and so I am not sure what center channel I should be looking for to compliment the SM122's. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't think Infinity ever made a center with the polycell tweeter. I know there was an SM center, look on Epay for that.

I had SM115's back in the day and I ran a Yamaha NS-AC300 with it. They all had tweeter level pots so I could get the tone pretty close, using stereo music to get it where I felt it was best and then pink noise cycling across the front three ant tweaking the Yam to match.

Wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the center need to be the polycell material? Is it then not worth pursuing this setup if I cant get polycell tweeters for the center? Do I also need to match the surrounds to the fronts? Perhaps I should be looking at a set of speakers that are easier to match with the rest of the system. Anyone have the model number of center speaker of the SM line?

Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Does the center need to be the polycell material?

No. There is no "need" in this hobby.

Is it then not worth pursuing this setup if I cant get polycell tweeters for the center?

If getting something means a mis-matched center, I say you'd better LOVE the mains, or simply be willing to live with a compromise. It may be a small compromise in practice.

Do I also need to match the surrounds to the fronts?

No.

Perhaps I should be looking at a set of speakers that are easier to match with the rest of the system. Anyone have the model number of center speaker of the SM line?

SM Video, I think it was.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i have an sm video center with my sm 122. I dont think they have made them for about ten years. then my 2yr old twins with thier fingers destroyed the mains. now i have sapphire st2 mains to match my sm center, and st1 for my surruond.

All sapphires have polycell tweeters so your in luck because you could obtain thier center channel easier than coming across the sm videi center

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have a pair of Infinity RS5b's as as my main speakers....these were the real oak veneer speakers from the 80's with polypropolene woofer, polydome midrange, and EMIT tweeter. I have a much newer Infinity center channel speaker....the model number escapes me.....they use metal type drivers...CMMD.

This center channel actually blends very well with the RS5b's. I'm sure it's not ideal, but I've heard no complaints from anyone.

Of course, I'm finally getting upgradeitis and am thinking of selling my RS5b's and replacing them with Axiom M60ti's or if I can get a great deal on a used pair of Thiel 1.6's........ :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you buy the SM122s yet? I have a pair that I need to get rid of. I'm picking up new speakers today and I don't have room to store these beasts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.