AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What color electrical outlets and switches has everyone used? I am just about to order my Spacer System and I cannot decide on a color. The walls will be split between blue and gray. I haven't decided which shade or which color will be on the bottom portion of the wall yet. I am leaning toward just getting white outlets and switches but I don't want them to stand out too much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
85 Posts
Paint them the color of your fabric/walls. Sand the plates with 220 grit and have a local hardware shop paint match and simply paint them. Just a idea.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Gary - In my experience the best choice is white. You can either keep them white or paint them to exactly match your wall color.

Most of the color choices the manufacturers offer will never exactly match your walls. Reed.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I rolled my plates the same color as the wall that they are on:

Front wall is flat black, so the plates on that well get painted flat black.

Sides and rear walls are a flat olive green, so the plates on that wall get painted flat olive green.

At first I painted all of my plates flat black but changed my mind and figured the plates would look better as the same color as the walls they were on.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'm staying white,w/grey fabric-but I will paint my returns black to match my ceiling,

tommy

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you're using a fabric wall covering you can wrap the cover plates in the same fabric.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The bottom half of my walls are black fabric, so I chose black outlet covers and brown outlets (Home Depot didn't have black) and it looks great. I have a black switch cover with white switches so that I can see them when the lights are off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I used Leviton gray -- was able to get everything except the scene control panel in this color from Worthington Distribution. I think it's a good compromise between plain white (which would contrast too much with the walls) and the hassle of sanding/painting the wall plates, switches, recepticles, etc.

Note: the Leviton X-10 compatible switches have LED's on them so that you can see them in the dark.

·
Registered
322 Posts
We have had a coulpe of customers who put the dark swithes in then replaced with white so they can see them in the dark. I would follow tactical's idea of white switches with dark trim plates. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.