AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a projector (8350 Epson), and will be projecting on a wall, giving me 124" or so. I want to paint the wall where it is being projected a slight grey, with a black border, and the rest of the walls a darker steel blue.

My question for you guys is, what is the best way to go about doing this. I will sand the crap out of the projection wall to smooth it as much as possible, but was looking for advice on the color of gray i should use. I do have some ambient light in the room, but have it controled with black out curtains.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
The PJ looks like it's at least 14' + back, (...cause I can't see it...)

While you might be able to mask off your Windows well enough with curtains, it's gonna be the Ceiling and Walls (especially the right 'side" )that will produce "reflected ambient light" from the screen's own output.

To offset that, a "darker" Gray surface and placing the 8350 within 10% of it's closest Throw distance is highly advisable.

Or....gasp... Reduce the screen size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20778333

The PJ looks like it's at least 14' + back, (...cause I can't see it...)

While you might be able to mask off your Windows well enough with curtains, it's gonna be the Ceiling and Walls (especially the right 'side" )that will produce "reflected ambient light" from the screen's own output.

To offset that, a "darker" Gray surface and placing the 8350 within 10% of it's closest Throw distance is highly advisable.

Or....gasp... Reduce the screen size.

Haha, the screen size will be a bit smaller, and as I mentioned, the projector will be about half the distance when mounted on the ceiling. The walls will be a darker blue steel.

So, a darker gray surface, what paint or color exactly?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
Well awlrite.

In truth, under those circumstances, with most primay viewing being under strictly controled lighting (...and if your going to address the Ceiling color as well...) the only thing really needed would be a good reflective light gray to help boost the preceived Black levels. The 8350 is a great unit, but the Blacks still are not "Interstellar" in depth.

What with all that other painting going to happen, hopefully you can consider spraying your screen. And if so, Silver Fire v2.1 2.0 would be a good choice if your planned for levels of ambient light are managed well. (...location, type, directionality...)

If instead you'll have to deal with less than optimal conditions "at times", SF v2.1 4.0 will handle anything short of a spotlight directed at the screen.

Now just be certain any colors used fo4r the room surfaces are "Flat" in nature and you'll be good to go. But keep the screen size as big as possible for the chosen throw. As long as the Room itself is optimized for projection, screen size will then be simply based upon personal prefference....and common sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.