AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a solid black room, black walls, black ceiling, black carpet, and black picture frames. Is black seating too much blacketty black? Thought about crimson red but we're doing that on the walls and my wife is afraid that would be too much red. The problem I'm running in to with a true dark black is that my wife wants fabric, and hardly anybody offers it in black, everything is off-black except for two, "Belsire Black" from Klaussner, and SeatCraft's black microfiber on their Catalina line. Palliser has a Monarch Phantom that is almost black, but it doesn't feel very nice, and a couple others like their Moonlight Black is shiny if you hold it in a certain way and we are afraid of it. Unless I do one of the others, I will have to get a different color. Not sure what to do, any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Everything black? It is too depressing....

I would not recommend doing the chairs in BLACK. You want them to be a focal point, so I would do RED, COGNAC or GRAY...

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
imo, I'd add color elsewhere in the room long before the seats.

I'm not an interior designer, but I tend to disagree with making the chairs the focus in a theatre. I'd think that honour would go to the screen

·
Registered
3,429 Posts

Quote:
I'm not an interior designer, but I tend to disagree with making the chairs the focus in a theatre. I'd think that honour would go to the screen

What exactly does it mean? Are you offering to have the screen of a different color but white or gray ?

The room does not have just one focal point. There are always a few of those. If everything in the room has the same color, it is depressing and boring. Without compromising the video and audio quality the room needs to have at least a few colors, which should complement each other...

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh  /t/1526290/what-color-seats-for-a-black-room#post_24580324

Everything black? It is too depressing....

I would not recommend doing the chairs in BLACK. You want them to be a focal point, so I would do RED, COGNAC or GRAY...

I would love a crimson red. It hasn't been depressing so far but we do have white trim on the doors and windows and baseboards, it makes it look somewhat classy and helps outline the room when the lighting is very low. Some of the highlights will be antique brown too, like the picture frame, plus I plan on putting a sword collection on display. It's a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, trying to go for a halfway evil but fun look. All the grays I have found look more modern than I would like. Moonlight Black by Palliser might work, it is basically black but certain angles make it look gray and silver and shiny and as a whole it matches my carpet real well. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find true black carpet that is fairly thick so matching it isn't necessarily a bad thing. The pattern and texture of the material contributes to its look too so I've been having a hard time with that aspect. Just because something is some shade of gray doesn't mean it is going to look good in a pirate room. All I can seem to be able to figure out in said pirate room is crimson red or black, just worried about overkill either way. I have looked for browns but all of them seem to be like the grays, trying to look modern. An antique leather might look nice but fabric just might be weird, and my wife is VERY stuck on fabric, she hates cold leather.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh  /t/1526290/what-color-seats-for-a-black-room#post_24580769

What exactly does it mean? Are you offering to have the screen of a different color but white or gray ?

The room does not have just one focal point. There are always a few of those. If everything in the room has the same color, it is depressing and boring. Without compromising the video and audio quality the room needs to have at least a few colors, which should complement each other...

it means the screen should be the focal point.

there's nothing wrong with having color in the room, but if you have black EVERYWHERE and then a large red anything, that's going to stand out. having the walls painted red would actually be more subtle and draw your eye away from the screen less than having red chairs in the middle of a black cave.

and that doesn't mean seats should never have color. I just think they should blend in with the color of the room, not contrast with it. I feel like the walls, ceiling, carpet, chairs etc all need to work together, and the screen is the only thing that should stand out.

here's some examples of colorful rooms that don't make the seats stand out.

and I don't necessary like how bold these are personally, but even these seats seem to blend in with the room nicely

I would say crimson seats would work if you have enough crimson in the rest of the theatre to match. but having seats that match the carpet is usually a safe bet as well. ultimately it's a personal choice, now get to work: http://technabob.com/blog/2011/06/06/pirate-theme-home-theater/

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My biggest disappointment since my wife is stuck on fabric is that the fabric offerings are always really thin or not a true black or gray shade. I got some new swatches yesterday for example from Klaussner, very disappointed. The only true black was so thin you could see through it. One called "charcoal" had a weird green tint, which seemed to be the same material as Palliser's "Superb" fabric in pewter, which looks dark gray on the screen but has a weird blue tint. How on earth do you match such things? Makes no sense that most all the common leathers are true black, while most fabrics are everything but.

What kills me is that La-Z-Boy has a very nice black fabric, which is significantly cheaper than their base model leathers, yet if you go with Pallisers and want fabric, you have to pay significantly more than their base model leathers, yet you get an inferior fabric that doesn't match worth a hoot. It really sucks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
corndoggy:

If you have not seen it already, make sure you check out Palliser's Monarch Phantom. It's about as close to a "true black' as you will get. Also, pricing on fabric seats should be lower than leather seats, unless you are comparing to a model that someone is stocking in leather.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLerch  /t/1526290/what-color-seats-for-a-black-room#post_24584432

pricing on fabric seats should be lower than leather seats, unless you are comparing to a model that someone is stocking in leather.

That last part is the kicker, and of course, seemingly the norm. If pricing a normal grade of typical black leather, I can get a better price than the fabrics because you guys get truckload discounts on the leather while the fabric is a custom build, so the price goes up even while quality is probably going down. The end result is that fabric costs more than typical black leather. Higher end leathers or actually anything else which also requires a custom build, sure, the first part of that statement is correct.

Actual example... 4-seat Palliser Pacifico with power and fabric on your site is $3,080.
http://www.stargatecinema.com/palliser-pacifico-home-theater-seat-model-41920.html

Same thing in standard black leather? $2,719.
http://www.stargatecinema.com/palliser-pacifico-home-theater-seat-model-41920-quick-ship-with-power-recline.html

Multiple companies do this in both black and brown leather, and bonded leather is even cheaper than this example.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, you are exactly right, and that's why I included that (the part about stocking) in my statement. Also, both of those links are links to closeouts with very limited stock. And obviously it's much easier for a factory to build 150 chairs of the same model in one production run than it is to build three or four chairs in a custom fabric. The manufacturer most likely gets better pricing on bulk purchases of the leather. It's all economy of scale. I would not say that the quality goes down on custom chairs, though. I have not found that to be the case with Palliser at all.

But I believe you quoted $940 per chair (maybe another thread?) for fabric which, depending on the model and options, seems high for fabric. Some models start at three hundred dollars less than that in manual recline, then go up from there in power and for other options.

I'm not here to create an argument. I just wanted to mention a few things. Which ever way you go I wish you luck. There's lots of good info on this forum. Also, if you decide to expand your search to dark grays there are lots of nice options out there not just from Palliser but other manufacturers (some of which we do not carry). You may be able to even find something in stock somewhere locally or online. But Black is just not a popular color in fabric. Most people looking for Black end up with leather, as you have seen. Good luck with your search and purchase.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLerch  /t/1526290/what-color-seats-for-a-black-room#post_24586967

I would not say that the quality goes down on custom chairs, though. I have not found that to be the case with Palliser at all.

I don't doubt that but that's not what I meant. I'm worried about the quality in terms of longevity between leather and a thin fabric, not custom vs. non-custom which is probably negligible. Some of the fabrics I have seen from both Palliser and Klaussner are extremely thin and seemingly low grade compared to what is available at even a low end La-Z-Boy store. That makes me nervous. Although I do not like their chairs hardly at all, La-Z-Boy has a beautiful and seemingly strong true black or crimson red fabric that I love and would be perfect, it is thick, patterned, and as black as black can be. I haven't seen any fabric elsewhere that rivals it. Paying extra for a fabric that probably can't hang with even La-Z-Boy makes me have reservations. I am attaching a picture of it. If their seating wasn't so sloppy, wide, and expensive ($1,000 a seat with no lights, at supposedly 180-200" wide for four independent seats) I would just go with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLerch  /t/1526290/what-color-seats-for-a-black-room#post_24586967

But I believe you quoted $940 per chair (maybe another thread?) for fabric which, depending on the model and options, seems high for fabric.

Regarding the other thread, $940 was what I was quoted for Playbacks with fabric, tray tables, power, and LED/underbelly lighting, which should be MAP pricing. The tray tables and lights alone add $140 per chair. But yeah it's still kind of high.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Gotcha. I have not sat in a LaZBoy chair in a while. I'll have to check them out at the store up the road for my own knowledge.

And yes, the Palliser pricing should be at MSRP unless someone decides to charge more than that.

I hope you find what you are looking for, priced reasonably.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLerch  /t/1526290/what-color-seats-for-a-black-room#post_24587553

Gotcha. I have not sat in a LaZBoy chair in a while. I'll have to check them out at the store up the road for my own knowledge.

They're pretty awful in my opinion.
The quality of the actual chair can't hang with Palliser at all. The foam is very squishy so there's no support, the armrests on their theater styles do not match as the center ones are lower and shorter which feels awkward, and they are just entirely too big. They do have tons of pretty nice fabrics though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts