AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got a new TV that only has one coaxial cable input.

I have one from CATV and one from DTV antenna. 

So I got a combiner from RadioShack which is VHF and UHF combiner but I get DTV signals good, but most of CATV signal gets snowy pictures.

So I got another combiner CHANNEL PLUS 2512 DC/IR PASSING SPLITTER/COMBINER but this doesn't work with those 2 cables. when I connect DTV antenna only, it seems the signal passes thru fine but as soon as I connect CATV cable, I lose DTV signal.

So I started to tinker with combiner using RadioShack combiner and I find when I connect CATV to UHF input, the picture comes clearly, but DTV doesn't pass thru VHF connector, It must be connected to UHF to work, the CATV gets snowy picture when it's connected to VHF. So it looks like I need UHF/UHF combiner and am wondering if there is such thing?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,436 Posts
DTV = digital television, otherwise known as OTA, over-the-air.

If you mean DirecTV, the use DirecTV or D*.

You can no longer combine DirecTV signals with OTA or Cable as many of the newer Ku/Ka dishes employ a chunk of the same spectrum cable and OTA use.

If you mean DTV as in over-the-air, then OTA and cable use the same spectrum and combining the signals is impossible, something that's been discussed in a zillion threads, here.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon  /t/1520964/what-combiner-do-i-need-catv-and-dtv#post_24438403

DTV = digital television, otherwise known as OTA, over-the-air.

If you mean DirecTV, the use DirecTV or D*.

You can no longer combine DirecTV signals with OTA or Cable as many of the newer Ku/Ka dishes employ a chunk of the same spectrum cable and OTA use.

If you mean DTV as in over-the-air, then OTA and cable use the same spectrum and combining the signals is impossible, something that's been discussed in a zillion threads, here.
I mean OTA so it's impossible?

that's too bad....

·
Super Moderator
18,436 Posts
Best bet is to get a cable box and connect that to the HDMI input of the set and use its internal tuner for OTA.

Depending on your location and provider - and make and model of TV - you may find that scanning just the cable will get you whatever analog channels they carry along with digital locals, thereby making the need for an antenna moot.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/1520964/what-combiner-do-i-need-catv-and-dtv#post_24439230

You cannot combine antenna and cable signals. So you will need an A/B switch or an external box.

or use a lot of filters.

milt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt9  /t/1520964/what-combiner-do-i-need-catv-and-dtv#post_24443766

or use a lot of filters.

milt
Can you elaborate using filers, Please?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Not practical if you have any size of cable subscription. IMO - your best alternative has already been presented - use a cable company supplied tuner (DVR or just digital /HDTV tuner) on either component or HDMI inputs and use the coax connector for your OTA built into the TV. I suppose you could find an OTA DVR and have that into the HDMI / component inputs of the TV as well.

But in no circumstances can you simply "combine" OTA and cable into a single tuner.

While it would be nice if Dr Don's advice about simply connecting cable coax to your TV tuner and scanning would get you cable TV, increasingly cable companies are changing EVERYTHING to digital, thereby requiring a digital cable tuner box even if you have the most modern of TVs.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
A lot of the older TV's like my 2006 Mits DLP has 2 Ant inputs, which is great because I switched inputs right from my TV remote. Too bad they don't make TV's with more than 1 ANT input anymore.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier  /t/1520964/what-combiner-do-i-need-catv-and-dtv#post_24445066

A lot of the older TV's like my 2006 Mits DLP has 2 Ant inputs, which is great because I switched inputs right from my TV remote. Too bad they don't make TV's with more than 1 ANT input anymore.

Those two-input TV sets were just a stopgap until the integrated analog/digital tuners became available. They were only in use for a very short period of time.

In any event, as Scooper pointed out, the QAM tuners will soon be obsolete as the cablecos are increasingly requiring the digital adapters.

·
Registered
17,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todesto  /t/1520964/what-combiner-do-i-need-catv-and-dtv/0_20#post_24443828

Can you elaborate using filers, Please?

I think milt9 was teasing you. You can't combine cable and OTA on the same cable.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon  /t/1520964/what-combiner-do-i-need-catv-and-dtv#post_24438403

A little off topic but there are specific situations where it is possible to diplex OTA signals in a swm install. First way is to diplex the OTA signal back out before the SWM splitter, after which the MRV takes place. This is useful if an apartment has a homerun within the unit and 1 cable connecting the homerun to the building demarc. Another time I installed a genie and client for an elderly couple that requested that they have their antenna signal available rather than whole-home dvr, and I diplexed the antenna signal back out at the tv location instead of the other situation I described. Both the OTA signals and whole-home dvr worked, probably since they wouldn't be used simultaneously. The important thing is that the customer was aware of the potential limitations involved and agreed to any consequences of loss of particular services due to conflicts in the design of the 2 technologies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts