AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
HDMI and DVI-D are the best connections for video because they are digital and therefore no digital-to-analog conversions (as long as the source is digital and your TV is digital ie. LCD, plasma, etc.)

HDMI is better than DVI-D because it also carries the audio.

HDMI is better than optical and coax digital audio connections because it can carry the new sound formats (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc.) as long as it has already been decoded.

HDMI 1.3a can carry the new sound formats undecoded so your receiver can do the work (if it supports the new sound formats).

So....Use HDMI if you have it. Next best thing would be DVI-D for the video and Optical or Coax for the audio.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx123 /forum/post/0

ok I see that some channels are dolby digital... what connection can I use to take advantage of this?

Use the coax spdif or, if you have it, the optical (toslink) to your amp/receiver for audio.

I have time Warner Cable, which used to be Comcast, and the DVI out on by box works fine, but I've heard that the cable company hasn't enabled DVI on the boxes in all areas. So you might want to make sure you can return the adapter, just in case.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j_johnson /forum/post/0

HDMI and DVI-D are the best connections for video because they are digital and therefore no digital-to-analog conversions (as long as the source is digital and your TV is digital ie. LCD, plasma, etc.)

Please do not make sweeping statements like this in the future.

Due to a number of implementation factors, your advice is not always correct.

To know which type of connectivity will work the best in your specific application, try them all (in your case component video & DVI) and see which looks and works the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a comcast HD digital cable box and am having a different problem connecting to my HDTV.

Because the comcast box only has a dvi-d output and my hdtv only has hdmi, I purchased a cable that allows me to adapt one to the other.

However, when I go to the hdmi source on the hdtv (an LG LCD), what I see is a flash of an image of what is playing on the channel on the cable box, then it goes to a screen of colored snow, and then the image from the channel flashes again, then back to the snow and so on. There is no sound, but from reading the previous messages, it looks like I need to establish a different audio connection because hdi-d is only video and it looks like an optical cable is what I need.

I contacted comcast and they thought it might be a faulty dvi-d output so I exchanged the box. That didn't solve it.

I can connect the box to the tv with component cables (blue, green, red), but I'm not sure whether this allows me to see hd channels in true hd and/or this is the optimal connection. I also don't know whether when using this connection, I should still use the hdmi/dvi-d cable as well or if that is merely redundant.

Can anyone offer any advice? Any leads would be enormously appreciated.

Best,

Rich

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnew /forum/post/0

I can connect the box to the tv with component cables (blue, green, red), but I'm not sure whether this allows me to see hd channels in true hd and/or this is the optimal connection. I also don't know whether when using this connection, I should still use the hdmi/dvi-d cable as well or if that is merely redundant.

Component video is fully HD compatable. If the HDMI/DVI connection is not working use component for now, and keep on Comcast to resolve the issue, if you desire. In most cases HDMI/DVI & component video are very close in image quality.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the Motorola DCT6208 (Charter Communications, Michigan) and am in a similar "testing" phase...

I just got my plasma (Panasonic 50PX60U) about a week ago and had component running from the box. I had been waiting on a DVI-D to HDMI cable (18 AWG 15ft) I ordered from Monoprice to arrive, which it did today. I thought for sure this would be better, not so...

The HD still looks good, but is noticeably softer on the DVI-D to HDMI... and the SD went from very acceptable to annoyingly bad. My wife can even tell, even though she thinks I'm WAY to picky.

This is all very confusing to me, I was always under the impression that a digital signal is either ON or OFF and did not vary in quality... obviously this is not the case. I'm not going to lose any sleep or ponder for hours. In my situation, with my equipment, the component looks better... period. So that is what I will run with.

I would love for someone smarter than me to explain why this would be happening. The cable was a great price (under 5 bucks), and appears every bit as good as one you would find in the box stores... but is it???

BTW... my BEST HD picture is from my DB4 in the attic, but it is a very close fight with the component hookup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.