Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of questions...

I'm building a house and including the possibility of a front projector in my home theatre room. This would be my first front projector so I'm going to be buying one of the models discussed here in the poor man's forum. I have an opportunity to prewire through the ceiling if I act quickly, as I got permission from the builder to do some of my own wiring.

So, what sort of wiring should I run? My initial thoughts were to run 4 shielded coaxial cables for component and composite and some sort of wire for an S-Video cable. How many of you are using a VGA connector instead?

What should I use to make an S-Video cable? Shielded 4 conductor of some kind? Or is it just 2 conductors and a ground?

The rear wall is about 21 feet from the likely screen position (pull down in front of RPTV). I put an electrical outlet in the ceiling 2 feet from the rear wall and a few inches off center. What is a reasonable throw distance for say, a 92" screen?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Most here use VGA or RGBHV (a close cousin) from their scaler or HTPC. A close second would be component. I think you should try to stay away from lower-end connections like s-video and composite.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd run a 2" pvc pipe from your likely equipment area to your likely projector location. My thought is that as equipment and cables change, and you become addicted to this great hobby ":)", you may change your mind on how to connect it all. The pipe will allow you to upgrade, change, experiment and just play. I might suggest a nylon rope, (thru the pipe and secured at each end) a bit over 2x the length of the pipe to help pull cables thru. Tape on the new cable at the mid-point and pull it thru. The drawback to this is that you'll have a wad of rope at one end or the other that you may want to hide some way. Good move to have power in the ceiling - don't run power and signal in the same pipe. Enjoy the process!! This is a great place to pick up on ideas that work.

·
Registered
728 Posts
hey welcome to the nuthouse Scott

I ran 3 gold ended, 50' RCA cables from my Pannasonic RP-56 to Sanyo XW-15 (~$1600 street these days, cables ~$20 each from www.avs-inc.com ).

The "Blue" & "Red" cables are always connected to the DVD player, the "Yellow" I switch bewtween DVD and VCR.

For big screen TV madness (Tyson/Lewis party anyone?) only yellow is plugged into the XW15 (one of the few bad things about the XW15 if it won't recognize a composite cable (Y only) if the R&B are in, so I pull these out for TV), then for DVD I use the $20 RCA switchbox to get the Y signal from the Panny. Sounds complicated, its not.

I have no desire to use a HTPC, ever. If any of the latest projector du jours have at least the video processing skills of the XW15 I say don't bother either. Great great great stuff from 3 component cables, and very nice picture with most cable TV channels. The poor ones are no better on my direct view TV, so its all the [monopolistic, blood sucking] Comcast's fault.

hey it won't hurt to run more than you need oc course - nows the time! Don't forget speaker wire, intercom wire, phone lines, and most importantly lines from the kegs to your bar.

:)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I can find locally for a long VGA cable is 50foot male to female extention. Should I run this or keep looking for a male to male cable? I have to have it done by Tuesday, so mail order is not an option.

Oh, and if I do run this VGA, would I want the female end at projector side or source side? I'm thinking source as I may have to use a converter going in to it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could also run 2 25 foot VGAs, one extention and one standard. I can't run conduit because there is a vent the blocks anything other than a small cable from crossing one section of the ceiling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

I am also a newbie remodelling an HT room. I wanted to follow with a bunch of questions also.

I am looking into the HP XB31 or any others in that range that are DLP (recommendations anyone?)

In terms of video component switching, how important is the bandwidth rating on a receiver? I've been looking into receivers, however I see all these different ratings on the compoenent switching, from 25-100 mHZ. What do you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have 4 1 1/2" PVC pipes to the ceiling. Also have a switched power outlet on the ceiling. The switch is located beside AV equipment and there's an plug for external power sources (UPS or Power conditioner). The switch is for projectors that might not have a hard power on/off and for those that do not shut down fan during standby mode.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the dry wall went up yesterday so my window of opportunity is closed.

What I put in is:

VGA cable (1)

S-Video Cable (1)

unterminated RG-6 coaxial (7)

I'll figure out how to terminate the coax when I have a projector to install.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.