AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hear all the time "it is a myth, you should be fine as long as you don't abuse your TV", but what exactly quantifies abuse?

Lets say my 12G panel is over 100hrs and I watch 2 hours of HD content a day, followed by 3-4 hours of gaming a night. That's 2/3rds gaming content, but from what I seem to read on the forums that amount of gaming will not harm (nothing more than IR) the set. Is that the case?

We have an instance of a V10 owner with very persistent IR from 13-15 hours of gaming, but was it the extended duration of gaming that was the problem or was it the total hours of gaming with relatively little "other" material? In other words, do the phosphors "survive" better if they have even a 10% break in their duty cycle of static game-HUD exposure?

I'm tepidly trying to decide if plasma is the right tech for me... I highly value BluRay and HD performance (black levels, motion resolution, etc) but I have roommates that adore call of duty and play it pretty much nightly. It seems like even the master burn-in/IR thread is a bit unclear on what is "abuse" so I'm wondering if there a consensus on what is the single greatest factor in causing burning (or preventing it). With that said I think it is also pertinent to recognize that this is a forum and people with problems flock here, and that the vast majority of people using these panels on a regular basis do not have problems so "abuse" must be a fairly extreme case.

Feel free to opine

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
All you need to do is vary your content. If you play nothing but Madden with the scoreboard and such on the screen, then eventually those pixels will wear. If you play a variety of games or watch a variety of content then it's fine.

Back in the day even direct-view CRTs would burn-in from displaying the exact same game every day (arcade machines). Any phosphor technology is going to be affected by that kind of use.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yeah, basically it just has to be varied.

I have a Kuro 5020 and have lately been playing a great deal of Fallout 3 via PS3. As I understand it this game's HUD is notorious for image retention issues, but I haven't had any problems with it even playing maybe three or four hours every night some weeks. Granted, I did go to the game options and change the HUD color and opacity in order to lessen any effect it might have. Obviously, those options are available on a game-by-game basis.

If I were grade school aged again and had time to sit on the weekends and play games for like ten hours straight then I think it might be a concern, but nowadays I never have gaming sessions like that and it's broken up by a good amount of full-screen HD content as well.

The only time I'm a bit worried is if I'm playing an older PS2 game that doesn't fill the entire screen (either because it's 4:3 or because the PS3's scaling of PS2 games doesn't completely fill the screen). I can't imagine that's any more damaging than watching alot of 4:3 televised content though.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
What you'll likely hear in this forum is that if you have long term ir, you must be abusing the set.

Breaking in the panel seems to help with reducing ir and it's ultimate duration. Brand is also important. Samsung seems to be more ir prone than Panasonic.

To me, the biggest danger is if you have kids using the set for games. Kids have a tendency to wonder off leaving the set running with the game paused. This I would consider abuse, and would likely cause some ir that would take some time to disappear.

The jury is out as to whether ir today becomes burn-in tomorrow. The current crop of sets all have features built in to help reduce ir, and thus prevent the burn-in of old. How well this works will only be known for sure over time, as sets with these features get some age on the panels.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Since phosphors have a logarithmic decay curve the first 100-300 hours will be the worst time for subjecting the screen to hours upon hours of video game use. Nobody ever talked about this that much with CRT's because CRT's are not driven quite as hard, though it still applies and is a very real problem, especially if the CRT has short persistence phosphors.

Once "broken-in" a plasma or CRT is very hard to burn-in. I have had my latest plasma, which DOESN'T have an image orbiter, for a year now and about 8 months into owning it I left a DVD menu on the screen from probably midnight 'till 9-10am and had IR for about 1-2 minutes (even double checked it with my "image cleaner" function which allows for a 127 IRE white signal to be displayed to check for any IR or burn-in).

I really don't worry about it that much anymore and haven't had any problems. I would say that gaming for 4-6 hours at a time would be reasonable to avoid any IR issues, regardless, if you are playing more than 6 hours at a time I would probably recommend getting out of the house or just doing something else anyway

Seriously, for me, gaming that long usually makes me feel depressed, though maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar concern as the OP as i'm receiving a panny g10 soon so I was wondering if anyone might have a little more to add from how I present mine.

Currently I own a lcd that i use for everything from gaming to pc usage and i'm going to replace it with the g10. Now I don't plan to use it as extensively as a pc monitor as i do my lcd so i'm not too concerned with that but I've always been a gamer and can have a tendency to play games for many many hours. So, ultimately I would like to know if I were to break in my plasma for at least 300-1000 hours before use could i pretty much Game on it to my hearts content? Keep in mind that i would never be caught dead leaving my tv on when not used (its an old habit) so it wouldn't be abused in that way but i put many hours into completion to mostly RPGs. So if i played Disgaea 3 which has many text menus for 200 hours (5-10 hour segments) after 1000 hours of break in would i get IR or worse?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, let me add that the Disgaea 3 example is an extreme and so is 1000 hours of break in before use (although i'd have no problem doing it if it would guarantee worry free gaming) and that i "normally" don't game that much, but i also probably won't turn on my tv for much else other than gaming and movies. i don't have any sort of cable/tv service. just ota stuff for news etc but i don't watch it much. I just want the lowest maintence solution in break in time so i can USE (not abuse) my tv only for what i need it for.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakrapot /forum/post/17169970

I have a similar concern as the OP as i'm receiving a panny g10 soon so I was wondering if anyone might have a little more to add from how I present mine.

Currently I own a lcd that i use for everything from gaming to pc usage and i'm going to replace it with the g10. Now I don't plan to use it as extensively as a pc monitor as i do my lcd so i'm not too concerned with that but I've always been a gamer and can have a tendency to play games for many many hours. So, ultimately I would like to know if I were to break in my plasma for at least 300-1000 hours before use could i pretty much Game on it to my hearts content? Keep in mind that i would never be caught dead leaving my tv on when not used (its an old habit) so it wouldn't be abused in that way but i put many hours into completion to mostly RPGs. So if i played Disgaea 3 which has many text menus for 200 hours (5-10 hour segments) after 1000 hours of break in would i get IR or worse?

Bottom line is you need to check a all black screen for signs of serious image retention after long gaming sessions. It depends on how IR resistant the pasnasonic will be after many hours of gaming. If it's very IR resistant any stuck images should wash away very quickly. Some cheap plasmas like vizio can take hours to wash away stuck images like logos. It's only abuse when you know you have IR that will take hours to wash away and you keep gaming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So basically with a panny plasma, even if i broke it in for 20000 hours, i could never have 100% peace of mind that i could game on it with absolutely no worry...seems like a hassle but I'll do just about anything to get away from motion blur. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakrapot /forum/post/17170780

So basically with a panny plasma, even if i broke it in for 20000 hours, i could never have 100% peace of mind that i could game on it with absolutely no worry...seems like a hassle but I'll do just about anything to get away from motion blur. Thanks.

don't play the same game for 30 hours straight, but you can game on it and not worry. you just need to vary your content.

i just got Dirt 2 on Thursday and i must have at least a good 20 hours into it already. the speedometer/tachometer would leave a hint of IR for a few minutes, but it still went away. am i worried... nope, i am going to keep playing it and all my other games.

there is a guy here with a great line in his signature. id goes something like "the only way to break your fear of plasma is to own one". couldn't be any truer.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Simple answer to the op is that if there is any burn-in, that constitues gaming abuse by the manufacturer. Pretty self serving on their part, but they make the warranty rules and interpret them, figuring that going to court is going to cost you more than living with their decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts