AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I asked a very specific question about this in the speaker forum, but was curious about the more general question underlying it. I am looking to get a center channel that would match my new towers. I have the opportunity to get a speaker from the line that is a step up from the the line my towers are in. My question was if this speaker would be timbre-matched. I didn't get much answer in the other forum, but am waiting to hear back from an engineer at the company.

So here's my question to you. Other than getting speakers from the same line, is there any way to see if the speakers are timbre-matched? For example, Audioholics had measurements of both the towers that I have and the speaker I was looking at for a center channel. The measurements appear to be very close to one another (both very flat). Comparing the equivalent bookshelf in my towers' line to the bookshelf in the line above, they have very similar specs. Both have the same crossover points (and slopes), and the same -3db extension point. One major difference is in the cone materials. One has aluminum woofers and tweeters, the other has a graphite woofer and a silk tweeter. Additionally, one is sealed, and the other is ported.

So, back to my question, what determines whether a speaker is timbre-matched to another one? How does one quantify timbre-matching? What measurements are relevant? Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see how that would be. In the case of the Audioholics review, it also includes measurements at 15 and 30 degrees, and the measurements are all similar. Does that give any more of an indication, or is there more to it than simple FR measurements? If so, what measurements do you use to verify timbre-matching?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
timbre can also be purely "subjective" based on your perception of "tone". Frequency response is certainly part of it, but the subtle differences a cloth dome vs. a metal dome on a tweeter can make are also part of the equation.

If you can't actually listen to the speaker mix, then at least try to match the tweeters in make, size, type, and composition.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspected that there may be some sort of subjective element to what would constitute a timbre-match--even with three identical speakers, I suppose their locations within the room will still effect their subjective timbre. Obviously speakers of differing design will likely have some tonal differences, and the same seems true when using completely different drivers. To play devil's advocate though, there must be some metrics that could quantify the level of timbre-matching. I'd believe that FR is not the only one, but what other metrics might come into play? Distortion? Some sort of damping? I just don't know what elements would cause us to subjectively hear a difference. Those differences must be able to measured, right? I just don't know what those measurements would be. Any ideas?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've actually done that in my situation and got an answer. I'm really just asking more of a hypothetical now. I'm just curious how one determines whether a speaker is timbre-matched, especially since that is a term that is thrown about quite a bit.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick /forum/post/17038417

I've actually done that in my situation and got an answer. I'm really just asking more of a hypothetical now. I'm just curious how one determines whether a speaker is timbre-matched, especially since that is a term that is thrown about quite a bit.

what did the manufacturer say... i am interested...

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick /forum/post/17038417

Well, the only way to be certain is to put them side-by-side and compare the tonal balance on voices and music. Of course, moving one to another position in the room will affect that balance to a degree, but mostly in the bass. EQ also helps.

How can one tell without actually having the speaker? One has to rely on the comments of others, including the manufacturer.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I'm just curious how one determines whether a speaker is timbre-matched, especially since that is a term that is thrown about quite a bit.

Without listening and measuring each one. You have to know if they have the same drivers, same build material, same volume, same crossovers.

Timbre matching is thrown around a lot, its the audiophile way of saying they are very particular

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys--I was kind of on the same page as all of you. I guess my thought was that timbre-matching meant that the sound of each speaker was fairly similar--but I also realize that a true timbre "match" is highly unlikely, given all the variables that can affect the sound. I guess my thought was that the term timbre-matched is thrown around fairly loosely without really defining what it meant. Thank you all for your input--I appreciate you helping me work through this question.

hdtv47lg70, I asked RBH Sound about using one of their MC Series speakers with a pair of their TK Series towers. They seemed to indicate that the two speakers wouldn't sound identical, but that they would be pretty close to each other. Basically, they seemed to say that though they weren't a perfect match, it might be worth it to step up to the higher quality MC Series speaker (especially given that I was able to get it for the same price as the TK). Hope that makes sense. They didn't define timbre-matching for me, but did help me solve the problem that prompted the question.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick /forum/post/17042598

Thanks guys--I was kind of on the same page as all of you. I guess my thought was that timbre-matching meant that the sound of each speaker was fairly similar--but I also realize that a true timbre "match" is highly unlikely, given all the variables that can affect the sound. I guess my thought was that the term timbre-matched is thrown around fairly loosely without really defining what it meant. Thank you all for your input--I appreciate you helping me work through this question.

hdtv47lg70, I asked RBH Sound about using one of their MC Series speakers with a pair of their TK Series towers. They seemed to indicate that the two speakers wouldn't sound identical, but that they would be pretty close to each other. Basically, they seemed to say that though they weren't a perfect match, it might be worth it to step up to the higher quality MC Series speaker (especially given that I was able to get it for the same price as the TK). Hope that makes sense. They didn't define timbre-matching for me, but did help me solve the problem that prompted the question.

good to know.. let us know how you like them!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts