AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my wife and I finally contracted with a builder to design and construct our new home. It should be finished around August of this year. We decided to put a 15x12x10 media room on the main floor because our current basement theater doesn't get enough use. I'd been looking at DIYSG options for years, especially the 88 Specials for a couple reasons. 1) They're front ported, so I can shove them against a wall. 2) They're short, so I could place them under a screen/TV if need be. 3) The 15" waveguide that everyone raves about. 4) They're very efficient, so they'd be able to hit reference on AVR power. 5) I doubt most people would agree with this one, but I actually like the look.

Lo and behold, they end up on closeout. If I don't buy the kits they'll be gone forever! So what do I do... I buy nine of them, of course. Because what's better than having the same speaker across your whole bed layer? And then the angled Volt-8 kits go on closeout, which I'd thought for a while would be perfect for the ceiling. So I go and buy six of those. At that point I figure that when the house is complete I'll have everything ready for 9.x.6 goodness.

Well, I finally finished the build. The Volt-8s came first since they shipped with the complete flatpacks. I have to say, that made the job very easy. Wood glue, brads, and a few clamps, and the job was done. I was also very happy to work with the PCBs. That made soldering up crossovers so much easier than my last project where I had to lay it out myself.

It took a while before I decided to tackle the 88 Specials. There weren't any flatpacks left by the time I ordered those, so I ended up buying some baltic birch ply for the added strength. I used MDF for each of my previous projects, and I have to say that's my preference. The BB is definitely better for dust, but the MDF just cuts cleaner without the tear-out. I also tried PL Premium for the first time because I wanted the extra setup time and void filling. It definitely did the job, but I wish I'd done a better job cleaning off the extra before it hardened. I had a lot of tough sanding to take care of that wouldn't have been a problem with better planning.

I routed "terminal cups" into each of the speakers (including the Volts) just because I like the look.

I painted the enclosures with Exohyde. I've used Duratex before, and this worked very similarly. I was really pleased with the coverage. A one gallon can got two coats on each of the 88 Specials (plus some in a couple cases) and one coat (over black spray primer) on each of the Volts. And there was still some left in the can when it was all said and done. You do have to make sure you keep stirring the paint while working with it otherwise the tint tends to bleed. That being said, it was great to work with.

Overall I'm very pleased with the build. Above is the final result sitting in my current theater (with that Exohyde can for size reference - and that screen is 10 feet wide). Each of the speakers tested good, but I don't have a good space right now to set them up and really listen to them.

It was when I started placing them all together for this picture that I realized these speakers were absolutely insane for the room they're going to go in. Why on earth did I choose something so large for such a small room? It's going to be wall to wall speakers! I'm sure they'll hit reference with AVR power, but when was the last time I actually listened at reference? Was I subconsciously going for some SPL per cubic foot championship? o_O Can you believe at one time I thought I could mount the surrounds to the wall with swivel mounts? Not on your life with what these things weigh.

Okay, rant over. Someone please tell me that this is going to sound awesome, and I'm sure I'll feel alright again.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Wow, man! That will be quite a setup.....for a 16x30 room! I am trying to imagine how you will fit all those in a 15x12 room. The sound will be very "dense", to say the least. Nice job on all the builds. If I could venture a guess, what is your plan for subwoofers in that room, 8 or 10 ported 21 inch NSW's? :)

·
Registered
29,511 Posts
I don't get the comments about the speakers being a tight fit for the room. Your front wall and back wall are separated by 15 feet. LCR speakers go on the front wall, Rear speakers are go on the back wall. Only 2 pairs of speakers need to go on the side walls: Sides and Wides. If you spread them evenly apart, it's 5 feet between each of those pairs. That's plenty of separation. Same with the height speakers: 3 pairs and 15 feet to place them along. Each pair will be well separated from the others.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Okay, my interest level is in speaker design and builds. The Dolby end of things is somewhat lacking in my world.

Im familiar with, and as is my case the 7 channel base layer and 4 atmos upper layer, so where do the two extra 88s and extra volts come in?

I have a space similar to those dimensions, maybe a little larger with low ceilings and the amount of SPL I have in that room is ridiculous, having extra headroom, is wonderful in all respects. The multiple drivers there will give you great coverage with lots of headroom, and as you said efficient enough at 99db for your AVR.

Well done!!!!! Applause!! Those 88s are great boxes. I like them better than a HT tbh and the Volt v2s you just cant beat for the money.

Gets my big thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Epic pic of the pile of speakers! I love it!
Oh, and yes! It will sound awesome!

·
Registered
29,511 Posts
Im familiar with, and as is my case the 7 channel base layer and 4 atmos upper layer, so where do the two extra 88s and extra volts come in?
The two extra 88s would be Front Wides, placed between the Fronts and Sides.

The extra pair of Volts would go between the two height pairs you already have (which can be spread apart further, front to back).

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
I was wondering how you were progressing ,
the silence says it all- beautiful "work' as we all know you had almost too much fun
and for good measure
"Can you believe at one time I thought I could mount the surrounds to the wall with swivel mounts? Not on your life with what these things weigh. "
Oh ye of little faith. . .
so from Monoprice, I couldn't find the ones I got a few years ago, the 3411's
but , as you used BB, I entered a weight of 75 pounds in their (very much improved) search
mine came it at 55 using sanderply
anyway, these look like viable candidates
from the specs, while the reach is only 20", for your room size
and a bed layer of 7 15" SEOS horns
sweet
also
I used a 9" strip of hangman French cleat to attach each speaker. (an 18" cut in 2) 9very low profile)
it took some measuring to work wrt top / bottom balance point and placement of the hangman on the cab
as i did want some downward (kinda butnot so easily ) adjustable angle wrt MLP - but doable
after 3+ years- no sagging at all
of course you can drill the VESA plate to attach- bolt on the other half, as needed
now there may not be a stud right where you want it for wall attachment at 90 degrees or slightly ahead,
( i just plain got lucky)
having mine pointed slightly back at me may be creating a better sonic tie in with the LCR)( it depends . . .)
but to enhance placement options even more,
a load plate ( about 18' x 10") of 1/2" oak mounted across the stub bay could give a few extra inches of more optimal placement wiggle room.
you got the 'green' 8"ers.
I used a eyeglass spray cleaner bottle and black RIT dye on this older ( purple) V1 that is my CC. easily masked off
2 light coats, worked in gently with a soft (make-up) brush, a full day drying between coats.
( a tip probably from @bitmap42 and his FUD buster post or @Cam Man from a few years ago)

with those banana plugs on the back, some right angle plugs may help wrt clearances for hanging the the surrounds
which is why I went with the neutrix (sp?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
p.s.
In late summer of 2014, with the advent of ATMOS,
it was the very same @sdurani - major props, dude
who sat in my LR to see / audition my sub the Submaximus V2, all 38 cu. ft. of it
and then proceeded to spend about another 2 hours or so directing me to mark where my ATMOS speakers should be
that pic before upping the ante to Volt 6's and then upping that to a SCATMOS array
ty @Scott Simonian
"running with the BIG Dogs"

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, man! That will be quite a setup.....for a 16x30 room! I am trying to imagine how you will fit all those in a 15x12 room. The sound will be very "dense", to say the least. Nice job on all the builds. If I could venture a guess, what is your plan for subwoofers in that room, 8 or 10 ported 21 inch NSW's? :)
Dense may be a good word for the sound field. There shouldn't be a bad seat (I'm only planning for two, anyway). As for the subwoofer, I'm all over the place on that. I currently have four of the old Stereo Integrity 18s in 16 cuft sonotubes. I may consider re-purposing those into something smaller. Though I'm sure a couple 12s would work fine in the room.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't get the comments about the speakers being a tight fit for the room. Your front wall and back wall are separated by 15 feet. LCR speakers go on the front wall, Rear speakers are go on the back wall. Only 2 pairs of speakers need to go on the side walls: Sides and Wides. If you spread them evenly apart, it's 5 feet between each of those pairs. That's plenty of separation. Same with the height speakers: 3 pairs and 15 feet to place them along. Each pair will be well separated from the others.
You're obviously right about everything fitting. I actually mocked up everything in Visio (and later in SketchUp). It'll all fit, but the room certainly won't win any interior design awards.

As for those distances, my wife is now going back to the idea of turning everything so the screen is on the 15 foot wall. I don't know how great 6 Atmos speakers would be when you've got only 12 feet front to back. I may need to see if I can talk her out of that one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Asarose,

I was looking at the wall mounts like you linked. They may work, but at this point I'll probably wait until we're at least close to moving in to see how it will all fit. I will likely nail in some bracing before the drywall goes up, however.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the green. I like your idea for the spray bottle and RIT dye. I was actually thinking of making some grills out of 1/4" hardboard and Parts Express grill cloth. We'll see if I get around to it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should also say thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. The room should end up being pretty impressive (at least sonically) when it's all said and done. Now to start thinking about subs and room treatments...

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
For an 8' ceiling, that SCATMOS array is a 7' square,
that's 45 degrees ahead of the mlp and 45 degrees to the rear
and inline with the L/R -BC is worked out that way
per Sanjay

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
"I will likely nail in some bracing before the drywall goes up, however. "
IF you are relatively sure of the general location,
plan ahead and put a few pieces of 2 x12 between the the studs,
use 4 pierces and give yourself a big ass square for screws to go WHERE YOU WANT THEM
that would be an anchor surface , under the drywall of 32" x 24"
using marker for the drivers- sure you don't have to mask- but I liked being able to brush a bit of dye around with the brush for my own notion of more control of uniformity

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Those are some big speakers to get in the right positions, especially for the front wides as they will need to be installed at an angle unless those waveguides have a 180degree dispersion pattern.

Good luck fitting all those big speakers in your room, I had to use a shoehorn myself with way smaller speakers in a similar sized room.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love the Looks off these !! I've always wanted the 88's ,if you deside they are too much for the room hit me Up!! I'd love to have 2 or 3!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts