AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know OLED can compete/surpass the picture quality of Plasma these days but what about LED? Do they still look highly digital/washed out blacks and favor people with heavily lighted rooms?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I know OLED can compete/surpass the picture quality of Plasma these days but what about LED? Do they still look highly digital/washed out blacks and favor people with heavily lighted rooms?
2019 TCL Series 8, and Vizio PX series look pretty close. I actually think the TCL looks better than my backup Panasonic Plasma ST60. The OLED for sure does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2019 TCL Series 8, and Vizio PX series look pretty close. I actually think the TCL looks better than my backup Panasonic Plasma ST60. The OLED for sure does.
Oh nice. You think this year we will see picture quality go up across the line of tv brands or are LED and OLED at their high points?

Sony, Samsung, and LG havent made a LED as good as a plasma then? Ive been meaning to go check Best Buy out but with covid my store only has curbed side check out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I personally prefer a quality lcd over plasma. For me, the off angle viewing is the biggest weakness for LCD.

I gave my plasmas away as they weren’t being used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I read about bad viewing angles of leds but dont some have different panels that dont hinder viewing angles? I sit direcly in front of my tv in a dark to dimmly lit room.

I was looking at OLED vs LED to replace my plasma. I was hoping they both passed plasma picture quality by now. Ive read OLED has but not LED. I'm referring to deep blacks, high color gama, a natural/organic picture, high motion quality. No need to increase brightness...unless its for 4k? I think you need more brightness for 4k material?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Viewing angle on my TCL is fine. I really dont watch TV from the side, but even at a 45 degree angle on a side couch, it looks fine.
The only improvement this year is more manufacturers are coming out with the mini-LED sets TCL introducted (the one I have), and TCL is coming out with something called ODZero where there are lots more LEDS and they are right on the LCD panel (or Quantum dot panel, I forget which one is first), so they will be thinner like OLED, but most are 8K which I would have to see to determine if upscaling actually improves the source material, which is all 720p, 1080i/p or 4K right now.
The biggest improvement this year will not be in the picture, but in the ports. They are working on HDMI 2.1 ports, to allow [email protected] variable refresh rate gaming. If you dont plan on buying a PS5, XBX, or one of the new computer graphics cards, that point is moot for now.

If you are going for LCD, look for Mini-LED with as many full array local dimming (FALD) zones as you can find. The Vizio PX (not mini-LED but just as bright) I believe has 480. My TCL has either 900 or 1000. Samsung, while popular, does not have Dolby Vision, which will be a problem if you watch a lot of movies. Sony has some good looking TVs also. If you wait about 6 months, you should find all sorts of new 2021 TVs with good pictures, but if you want one now, I havent seen anything worth waiting for unless you plan to spend $3K+ for an 85"

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I personally prefer a quality lcd over plasma. For me, the off angle viewing is the biggest weakness for LCD.
I put a LCD in the living room and got a 55" OLED for the bedroom, even tho the 55" plasma still worked good and had very limited hours, because in the bedroom I tend to watch the news before bed, and I swear in 30 minutes on CNN, the logo would be burning into the screen enough where going to commercial, I could still see the logo. Then would have to run the screen refresher for two hours during the day to fix it, and then it would do the same thing all over again. I got tired of it, so I bought an OLED on sale, with a two month return window to see if it would have the same problem, and I really gave it a logo workout, and the screen is still perfect. So I have the plasma in a plastic bag in case I need a backup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Davenlr Thank you. I was planning on buying an OLED but wanted to wait until the technology was fully developed and had hdmi 2.1 at full compatibility. I will be purchasing a PS5 within the next two years. I was thinking about buying a LED like the TCL 625/635 55 inch to fill in the two year gap until I do decide to buy a $1500/$2000 tv. But you only recommend the TCL 8 or Vizio?

How long have you had the OLED? No burn in? I was told my Plasma would not get it because its technology was up to par but unfortunately I have burn in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you have the thing in torch mode? Do you like a lot of brightness?

I did get some slight burn-in (ESPN Logo when my brother left the TV on for 2 straight days) in my old 2010 Panny plasma but you could only see it when there was a pure, white background, which was never.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I did get some slight burn-in (ESPN Logo when my brother left the TV on for 2 straight days) in my old 2010 Panny plasma but you could only see it when there was a pure, white background, which was never.
@LeeDiggler I had it based on D-Nice settings from this forum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would take a series 8 over a VT60 but if a person wants to spend that kind of cash wouldn't it make more sense to buy a OLED? I think you can get some OLED sets for around the same price.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
@Davenlr Thank you. I was planning on buying an OLED but wanted to wait until the technology was fully developed and had hdmi 2.1 at full compatibility. I will be purchasing a PS5 within the next two years. I was thinking about buying a LED like the TCL 625/635 55 inch to fill in the two year gap until I do decide to buy a $1500/$2000 tv. But you only recommend the TCL 8 or Vizio?

How long have you had the OLED? No burn in? I was told my Plasma would not get it because its technology was up to par but unfortunately I have burn in.
No, I was just saying those are the only two I am familiar with the picture quality of. If you are only planning on getting one for two years, the TCL 6 series, or Vizio P series, the hisense and several others have good reviews. Check www.rtings.com for their reviews. They are quite in depth.

Reactions: cagotexas872

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

No, actually, I had it rather dimmed down in a dark bedroom. I think I just had a panel susceptible to it

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Not a bit of image retention so far, and its been about 150 hours of ESPN, CNN, and MSNBC logos, with occasional movies.
The new OLEDs added a white sub-pixel to take the bright white wear off the R B and G pixels. Seems to be working, as most logos are bright white.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I would take a series 8 over a VT60 but if a person wants to spend that kind of cash wouldn't it make more sense to buy a OLED? I think you can get some OLED sets for around the same price.
I got my 75" TCL for $1500 on a deal of the day, regular price now is about $1899 for 75" and $1124 for 65" if you can find one still in stock at Best Buy. An OLED starts about $3700 for a 77" LG CX if you are a BB elite member.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, I was just saying those are the only two I am familiar with the picture quality of. If you are only planning on getting one for two years, the TCL 6 series, or Vizio P series, the hisense and several others have good reviews. Check www.rtings.com for their reviews. They are quite in depth.
Another thing to consider would be what content he will he be viewing. If it's strictly 1080p I would definitely go with the vt60 over any 4k LCD.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Another thing to consider would be what content he will he be viewing. If it's strictly 1080p I would definitely go with the vt60 over any 4k LCD.
You can still buy VT60's or he already has one? Missed that. Yes, if you arent planning on watching any 4K content, a 1080p plasma could look better.
My 55" OLED looks better to me than the ST60 plasma tho. Not sure exactly what it is because I cant run them side by side, but the OLED just looks better with 1080i content.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I put a LCD in the living room and got a 55" OLED for the bedroom, even tho the 55" plasma still worked good and had very limited hours, because in the bedroom I tend to watch the news before bed, and I swear in 30 minutes on CNN, the logo would be burning into the screen enough where going to commercial, I could still see the logo. Then would have to run the screen refresher for two hours during the day to fix it, and then it would do the same thing all over again. I got tired of it, so I bought an OLED on sale, with a two month return window to see if it would have the same problem, and I really gave it a logo workout, and the screen is still perfect. So I have the plasma in a plastic bag in case I need a backup.
You should have thrown out CNN and kept the plasma ! 😀 Seriously though, as a fellow plasma guy (Panasonic...love it and you'll have to pry my cold, dead fingers off of it), a trick that I started utilizing a couple of years ago was to put it on "ZOOM" when watching one of the "big ugly 3 letters icon" news channels. That pulls the letters icon down below the screen, as well as with most (but not all) of the scrolling bars. Z E R O burn-in, and zero temporary retention.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You can still buy VT60's or he already has one? Missed that. Yes, if you arent planning on watching any 4K content, a 1080p plasma could look better.
My 55" OLED looks better to me than the ST60 plasma tho. Not sure exactly what it is because I cant run them side by side, but the OLED just looks better with 1080i content.

Better blacks, brighter colors, brighter screen in general...BUT lousier motion. Overall, I will challenge your conclusion on 1080i material. Especially sports. My plasma kills OLED on motion. And hair always LOOKS like hair. Turf grass in stadiums looks like individual blades, NOT a greasy smear. We need better "food" to feed these superb OLED 4K. C'mon networks- invest in 4K cameras; broadcast 21st century-looking material for our 21st century panels. An OLED with 4K UHD Blu-ray material is a "spiritual experience !"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts