AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often read that plasmas should not be tilted, but why is that? What damage occurs? When I buy a plasma, will I be able to tell if it had been damaged from being tilted?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The potential for damage to a plasma is mainly related to its being laid flat and handled roughly during shipment, which could conceivably break the heavy and relatively fragile glass screen, especially if it is a large set. Plasma shipping cartons often have a "tilt meter" attached to them, but this is really to determine if the plasma has been laid flat, not if it has been tilted a little during handling.

You can easily spot damage if the plasma has been handled too roughly during shipment. The glass may have a large crack through its center, or be broken into several pieces. Either of these conditions can seriously interfere with your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When my display showed up, it was obviously handled poorly by the shipping company. The tilt meter actually showed that the panel was on its side at one point in time. I called the retailer that I bought it from and told him about the rough condition of the box. He said that I could accept it (making sure I noted it on BOL and took pictures) and if there were any problems that they would handle it or just refuse it. I decided to give it a shot and see if there was any damage. After taking it out of the box and firing it up, there didn't seem to be any problems. They do a real good job packing these from the factory (packed for the idiots that handle them I guess). This is definitely not something that you want to go through. Dealing with shipping companies on a regular basis, this is probably pretty common.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar question.

Besides the damage that could happen from shipping the unit laid down..
Technically will it harm the unit such as a cause of dead pixels or void the warranty in any way?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Franky_M

Besides the damage that could happen from shipping the unit laid down..

Technically will it harm the unit such as a cause of dead pixels or void the warranty in any way?
Panasonic states in the user manual to lay the plasma flat on the floor when installing the table stand. So laying it flat isn't a problem, it's just not a good idea for shipping.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimSD
Panasonic states in the user manual to lay the plasma flat on the floor when installing the table stand. So laying it flat isn't a problem, it's just not a good idea for shipping.
You've answered a question I have without me asking.

Thanks, I was wondering how to install the stand without tilting it. I assume if you tilt the panel SLOWLY down until it's horizontal, onto a large table or carpet, is OK, right?

·
Registered
500 Posts
My local driver took the Panny off its pallet and laid it flat in the back of his truck. DFW airport to my house, 40 miles. I accepted it anyhow. November 2003, no problems to date.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTV888
You've answered a question I have without me asking.

Thanks, I was wondering how to install the stand without tilting it. I assume if you tilt the panel SLOWLY down until it's horizontal, onto a large table or carpet, is OK, right?
Laid down the plasma onto a bed would be a better idea IMO. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.