AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what internal deinterlacer the Panny 300u uses to turn interlaced signals into progressive?

Surely it's not a Faroudja DCDiâ„¢, or they would be heavily touting that.

Anyone have a clue, or know how I could find out?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't know what deinterlacer it has except that I have horrible combing problems when it comes to video/animation stuff. My next purchase is definitely going to be a progressive scan DVD player.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really, interesting. I don't use the 300u's deinterlacer (my Sony Progressive SEEMS to do a good job) but I was just curious which one the 300u used, and also see if it would eliminate some verticale banding I am seeing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think you are better off staying with the Sony's deinterlacer. It's probably better. I see a minor amount of vertical banding on my Pj too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? That's great! Well, it's not great ... but I'm glad SOMEONE else has noticed this. I only found one small thread on the issue, and it was with HS10 owners.

Have you attempted to eliminate yet? Defocus, power conditioning, different component cables or DVD player? Any of those, or any improvements?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
143 Posts
The vertical banding is very minor for me. Some people notice it much worse then others. I notice the scanlines more then the vertical banding. I do defocus a little to help with that and the scanlines. I don't think I will ever be able to get rid of it completely. It's just a disadvantage when it comes to LCD projectors...or so I hear. I don't think power conditioning will help. I did just get brand new component cables from bluejean cables, but I can't tell you if it helped or not since I only used my other ones for about a week. I have hooked up a composite cable and can still see the vertical bands. As for a DVD player, that is my next purchase. Mostly because of the darn combing.

If your vertical bands are really bad you may need to exchange the PJ.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've all but eliminated scanline artifact with the combination of: a) Flicker tweak (minimal help), b) Slight defocus (major), c) Seating distance.

However, I can NOT get rid of the verticle lines. I can spot them quite easily in very bright scenes, but if I forget about them and just try and enjoy the movie, they don't appeat too often. Star Wars: EP2's opening sequence that is very bright white is a killer demo of these clearly visible lines.

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any updates on this issue anyone?

·
Registered
587 Posts
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it didn't even have one. I'm going to buy an external de-interlacer for my ATSC sources, mainly for watching sports. I have the Denon 1600 and that's fine for DVD.

Need to find someone who has the service manual to find out what chip set it uses.

~ Jay

·
Registered
143 Posts
As an LCD PJ it HAS to have a deinterlacer. LCD can't display interlace signals. All I know is that it isn't very good. It does ok for movies, but it combs all the time on non-movie material. I am also thinking about getting an external deinterlacer for everything else besides DVD.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I with that the Home Theater & HiFI guys would do the kind of review they do for progressive DVD players, only for projectors. They do a pretty good job of guessing the deinterlacer for the players.

I am also curious what de-interlacer my 1HD has.

Take a look at the review and background stuff. It makes you realize that you will want to buy the right progressive scan player.

Home Theater & HiFi Progressive DVD player shootout

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me too.

Yeah, they're progressive scan article is good IF you have not bought a prog. DVD player yet *OR* you have bought the right one. Otherwise, you'll wish you'd never read it, because then you start noticing things you did not before. ;)

I wish they would review my DVD player, but I don't think they're going to add any more since they already did a ton of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.