AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the new Samsung sets announced at CES have a variety of improvements, I find myself not knowing what determines standard definition picture quality for a DLP set. I've seen where, at least to my eyes, that DLP sets don't appear to do as well displaying a SD picture as a crt or crt based rp set, especially if the signal is poor quality. I know that DTV uses compression (in some of it's channels more than others) that results in blockiness, but I still don't understand what it is about DLP sets that make that blockiness more apparent than with other technologies. I suspect that there's something about other display technologies that masks the problem, probably at the expense of picture quality, but I think I'd pick a "not quite so true to life" image that hides some of the warts of SD over absolute picture quality, if indeed that's the issue. Can someone educate me as to what's really going on, and if the improvements in the new Sammy sets will improve or exacerbate the issue?

Thanks

(There's still waay to much SD content I'd be watching for me to feel really comfortable with less than stellar SD imaging)

·
Registered
372 Posts
DLPs are a display device. They DISPLAY the signal presented to them. If the signal is bad, the PQ will be bad. If the signal is good, PQ is good (at least as good as the signal is capable of). Most of the posts complaining of poor PQ with SD on the samsung DLPs are along the lines of, "I upgraded from my 27 inch CRT to my 56 inch DLP and SD looks terrible!" Well, guess what. You take a bad signal and increase it's size by a few hundred percent and that will happen.

I have a 46 DLP and a good comcast Digital signal with good signal strength (boosted by a disptribution amplifier installed by comcast) and my SD PQ is good. MY HDTV PQ of course is unbelievable. But I have yet to have anyone tell me that my SD PQ is poor.

Garbage in = garbage out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
First off, I don't think SD has been 'stellar' on any set larger than the 40" Sony Wega tube that I saw, so maybe we're on a different page to start with. But I don't think my DLP looks much different than CRT RPTVs that I've seen for SD programming, maybe a bit sharper but a bit blockier (once I had setup custom settings for SD).

As to why this may be, a CRT uses a scanning beam to produce the picture and the scan rate (vertical and horizontal) of that beam can be varied, where a DLP (or LCD) is a fixed pixel display, so the signal needs to be digitized and scaled up (in the case of SD) to the number of pixels on the screen. Where compression comes into play, or the signal isn't perfect, then the set must make a guess as to how each pixel should be factored into the scaling, and sometimes imperfect sources lead to imperfect results. Note that a DLP set scaling a 1080i signal to 1280x720 looks great, since there is more and better information to work with.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that there are vast differences in the quality of SD programming. Don't lump it all in together. Take a look at something like Monday Night Football and it will look amazing.Then watch (or try to watch) an old Gilligan's Island rerun and you'll see the fast differences.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
One of the main things I'm worried about is how will my LDs look on a new set. I saw the 50" Samsung HLN507W for the first time yesterday and it looks like it has some good potential. I'd probably go for the larger 56" HLN567W for my room. I'm currently comparing this against a 51" Hitachi 51S500/700 or a 55" Mitsubishi WS-55813 CRT RPTV. I've owned a 45" 4x3 Mits RPTV for over 16 years so I'm used to watching SD at this size. I'll be more sensitive to differences in the display technology since all these displays have roughly the same vertical height. Its probably going to be tough for me to audition these sets with a LD player and I'm not going to try and finagle an in-home audition of each these displays. I'm relying on threads like this to give me an idea of what to expect from SD material when upgrading to a WS HDTV. Has anyone tested this (going from 4x3 SD to WS HDTV and viewing LD material)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.