AVS Forum banner

261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Thanks for checking.

Yeah, Heos played full resolution when I had the free trial last year, but not having My Music made it a poor implementation because it required searching for each music selection. Hard to believe how badly Amazon and D/M dropped the ball on this.

I've been using Qubuz via Bubbleupnp to Heos for a few months. This works ok for the most part, but is not as slick as using a native music streaming app. Also, the Qobuz library is lacking compared to AM and Spotify, at least for the music I want.

I wish Spotify would offer a lossless tier that worked with their Connect feature, but Spotify has no plans to offer lossless.

-
Same here, although I don't use Qobuz thru Bubbleup/HEOS. Prefer Qobuz over Tidal and Amazon but the Qobuz app is terrible.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I was able to dl amazon music app on my MacBook air 2011 that sits in the corner unused. I then plugged it into HDMI input of my Yamaha RX-V679 and used VNC remote app to control MacBook via iPhone displayed on LG 86" TV.

I get up to 24/192 per amazon app and Yamaha input info. I don't know if its being downsampled and upsampled in between. The receiver will not do any further sound processing on 24/192, so I'm limited to 2ch stereo.

If I set input to 24/96 I can still do 7ch stereo (again this may be corrupting the format somewhere in the loop. It seems to me that the 24 bit makes a bigger difference spatially than the sampling rate above 48. Id be happy with 24bit/48 (or even 44.1)

then again it could all be in my head

Streaming one track via airplay amazon music reports device capability of /currently playing at 24/44.1 -- yamaha reports 24/48. streaming another via airplay, amazon says 24/192, device capability 24/44.1 - playing at 16/44.1

Its all over the place.
I can't imagine that using the "7 channel stereo" option on your Yamaha would do anything to the music's signal. All it does is feed the left channel to all the preamps for the left hand side of the room and send the right channel to all the preamps for the right side of the room. No fancy "digital signal processing" at all.

By the way, while I've used that mode for years myself, now that I have a Yamaha-based 7.2.4 Atmos/DTX setup, I've discovered that its version of the DTS Neural:X upmixer sounds nice on music, whether stereo or 5.1 - give it a try. That's now my default setting for everything except for true Atmos or DTS:X material.

PS Very little commercially-released music uses more than a tiny amount of even 16 bit's dynamic range - 24 bit is mainly of value to recording engineers - it lets them run the mikes hot to avoid background hiss and hum, without the risk of overload in the initial capture phase. In the mixdown they tend to put all the tracks in the middle volume range for release, except for small group classical, folk, and jazz recordings, where they'll allow themselves to let it get quiet on occasion.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Regarding lossless streaming services on Heos, I've now tried them all, except Tidal.

Amazon Music HD:
- Still no "My Music" as far as I know - a deal breaker for me.

Qobuz:
- No native Heos support and gaps in library.

Deezer HiFi:
- Will not stream 16/44.1 FLAC ("HiFi" in their terms) to Heos. The stream is limited to 320 kbps MP3 on Heos.

So, basically, all 3 have poor to no integration with Heos.

Tidal costs more than all of the above, and I'm not sure how well it integrates with Heos, but might give it a trial too.

-

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Regarding lossless streaming services on Heos, I've now tried them all, except Tidal.

Amazon Music HD:
- Still no "My Music" as far as I know - a deal breaker for me.

Qobuz:
- No native Heos support and gaps in library.

Deezer HiFi:
- Will not stream 16/44.1 FLAC ("HiFi" in their terms) to Heos. The stream is limited to 320 kbps MP3 on Heos.

So, basically, all 3 have poor to no integration with Heos.

Tidal costs more than all of the above, and I'm not sure how well it integrates with Heos, but might give it a trial too.

-
I use Qobuz with Roon. With my Trinnov acting as a full Roon endpoint. However, Roon playing through my Marantz uses Heos via AirPlay. Seems to work ok, but the total solution is more $$. SJ

·
Registered
968 Posts
I use Qobuz with Roon. With my Trinnov acting as a full Roon endpoint. However, Roon playing through my Marantz uses Heos via AirPlay. Seems to work ok, but the total solution is more $$. SJ
Yeah, I've been using another Qobuz workaround with Heos - using Heos as a renderer for the Qobuz stream via BubbleUPnP. It works well, but you have to use the BubbleUPnP app to select/control music rather than the native Qobuz app.

Unfortunately, I find the Qobuz library to be a bit lacking.

I think I'm going to give Tidal HiFi a spin with the 30 day trial.

It should work within Heos and Sonos, should work with Chromecast Audio via casting from the native app, and I believe will work with renderers like Blu-ray players via BubbleUPnP, which would cover all of my streaming scenarios. :)

-

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Yeah, I've been using another Qobuz workaround with Heos - using Heos as a renderer for the Qobuz stream via BubbleUPnP. It works well, but you have to use the BubbleUPnP app to select/control music rather than the native Qobuz app.

Unfortunately, I find the Qobuz library to be a bit lacking.

I think I'm going to give Tidal HiFi a spin with the 30 day trial.

It should work within Heos and Sonos, should work with Chromecast Audio via casting from the native app, and I believe will work with renderers like Blu-ray players via BubbleUPnP, which would cover all of my streaming scenarios. :)

-
If I recall, Tidal Hifi works well with HEOS. But MQA is going to be limited via HEOS.

I've been on Qobuz for 6 months. When I started, their customer support told me that HEOS support was on the way with an ETA of 6 months. I need to follow up for an update

What do you find lacking in their library? Occasionally I won't find something but for the most part it has what I look for.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If I recall, Tidal Hifi works well with HEOS. But MQA is going to be limited via HEOS.

I've been on Qobuz for 6 months. When I started, their customer support told me that HEOS support was on the way with an ETA of 6 months. I need to follow up for an update

What do you find lacking in their library? Occasionally I won't find something but for the most part it has what I look for.
Yeah, I really don't care about MQA, so 16/44.1 FLAC is fine for me.

Regarding the Qobuz library, lack of Lyle Lovett and Bob Seger are a couple examples.

-

·
Registered
968 Posts
I started a Tidal HiFi trial yesterday, and Tidal is implemented well within Heos.

I also tested with a Chromecast Audio in a different system, and that worked well too.

In both scenarios, app control and 16/44.1 FLAC playback was super stable - no app freezes or playback skips.

-

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Same here, although I don't use Qobuz thru Bubbleup/HEOS. Prefer Qobuz over Tidal and Amazon but the Qobuz app is terrible.

Back before I got Roon I totally agreed with this and found the Qobuz app to be pretty terrible. I've had Roon for about a year now, and as such have had very little reason to use that app until just yesterday (had my server powered off for most of the day while I did some upgrading/remodeling). I was pretty impressed by how well it worked for me yesterday over Google Cast. Basically glitchless. Maybe that's unique to Google Cast integration, and HEOS and UPnP don't work as well? But I had all kinds of problems with it a year ago, and shared your opinion on it up until yesterday...

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Back before I got Roon I totally agreed with this and found the Qobuz app to be pretty terrible. I've had Roon for about a year now, and as such have had very little reason to use that app until just yesterday (had my server powered off for most of the day while I did some upgrading/remodeling). I was pretty impressed by how well it worked for me yesterday over Google Cast. Basically glitchless. Maybe that's unique to Google Cast integration, and HEOS and UPnP don't work as well? But I had all kinds of problems with it a year ago, and shared your opinion on it up until yesterday...
What bit rate/sampling rate can be achieved via Google Cast?

Regarding the app, I was referring more to lack of continuous play, artist or song based radio, ability to shuffle without having to create a queue first.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
What bit rate/sampling rate can be achieved via Google Cast?

Regarding the app, I was referring more to lack of continuous play, artist or song based radio, ability to shuffle without having to create a queue first.

In theory and on the spec sheet, anything up to and including 24/96 is supposed to be supported.

In practice, I've had trouble (in terms of reliability and stability) with anything above 24/48, at least wirelessly to chromecast audios. And it's (mostly) not my local network, because 24/192 generally works-without-error wirelessly to a raspberry pi via Roon Advanced Audio Transport.

That's actually the main reason why I finally broke down and paid the $$$ for Roon. When I'm using Google Cast (which is my whole-home-audio solution, as I only have RAAT working on 2 zones and a headphone rig), Roon downsamples all 24/88.2 and 24/176.4 to 24/44.1 and all 24/96 and 24/192 to 24/48... and thus plays back without glitch or stutter to all of my CCA's.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
In theory and on the spec sheet, anything up to and including 24/96 is supposed to be supported.

In practice, I've had trouble (in terms of reliability and stability) with anything above 24/48, at least wirelessly to chromecast audios. And it's (mostly) not my local network, because 24/192 generally works-without-error wirelessly to a raspberry pi via Roon Advanced Audio Transport.

That's actually the main reason why I finally broke down and paid the $$$ for Roon. When I'm using Google Cast (which is my whole-home-audio solution, as I only have RAAT working on 2 zones and a headphone rig), Roon downsamples all 24/88.2 and 24/176.4 to 24/44.1 and all 24/96 and 24/192 to 24/48... and thus plays back without glitch or stutter to all of my CCA's.
I hear great things about Roon but can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money for what it delivers.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I hear great things about Roon but can't wrap my head around spending that kind of money for what it delivers.
Yes it is pricey, but for me, the selling point was its ease of installation and a rather small learning curve. I had the trial version up and running within 15 minutes.

Then the "rabbit hole" affect takes over. What I mean by that is the "liner notes" for each album. It's gets really bad when you have Tidal or Qobuz involved.

You find out that a particular artist played on a song you're playing, then you click on said artist, and find out he or she contributed to this album or that song, it gets maddening, but in a good way. :)

Reactions: SJHT and psuKinger

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

I think a lot of it comes down to how complicated your intranet/internet music listening is (how many seperate listening rooms/rigs/"zones" you have, and how varied/diverse they are), how much of a *power user* you are (if you value things like parametric EQ curves rather than hard discrete steps applied blunt force to a numeric range; how much you value transparency of your entire signal chain and to see what's being delivered along the way, etc), and just how much you like to geek out over meta-data and fun bells-and-whistles.

If you got a large list of "zones" you use for whole-home-audio playback, Roon really does that *right* in a way nothing else I personally tried did...

Yes it is pricey, but for me, the selling point was its ease of installation and a rather small learning curve. I had the trial version up and running within 15 minutes.

Then the "rabbit" hole affect takes over. What I mean by that is the "liner notes" for each album. It's gets really bad when you have Tidal or Qobuz involved.

You find out that a particular artist played on a song you're playing, then you click on said artist, and find out he or she contributed to this album or that song, it gets maddening, but in a good way. :)

+1 to this. The linkable clickable metadata let's you sort on CRAZY stuff. You start to find out things about yourself and your listening habits like how might have a favorite MASTERING engineer (for example: I like what Ted Jensen does. When he's involved, records sound better, to me at least, than when he's not. I generally prefer the albums he did for Disturbed and Norah Jones alike, more than the albums he didn't... fascinating, IMO).

Reactions: groove93
261 - 274 of 274 Posts