AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help reverse engineering my sonosub. It was originally powered by a 500watt BASH plate amp that just quit a few weeks ago. So in my search for a new amp i discover REW and DSP, and wonder... have I been missing something?

I now have a iNUKE NU3000DSP and a UMIK-1 on the way. I've connected the sub to one channel of the iNuke and ran YAPO on my Yamaha CX-A5000 with the gain knob at half way like I did with the BASH amp, and the YAPO set the sub at +5, with the BASH it was 0. The sub also sounded a little off during setup, more of a higher pitched thud than the BASH. But sounds pretty much the same during movies and music.

The reason for needing your help is....

I'm not sure how much power I can run to it?

Can I run the amp in bridged mode?

Is there a filter I should be turning on so I don't get the higher pitch thud during YAPO?

2X Adire Audio 15" Tempest Drivers(one up one down)
TempestWhitePaper.PDF 278k .PDF file

2X 22 1/4" long X 6 1/4" internal diameter ports(one up one down PVC)

MDF top/bottom plates diameter is 31 1/2" with a 1/2" over hang, the drivers are flush mounted to another 1 1/2" of MDF under that inside sonotube

Top plate to bottom plate is 47 1/2" with another 5 1/4" space between the bottom plate and 1 1/2" MDF that it sits on

The sub is completely filled with polyfill

How is it wired? Your guess is as good as mine... I remember being very confused at the time and actually speaking to someone from Adire as I wired it...

I did borrow a multi meter and measured across the + and - speaker terminals on the bottom of the sub

I did not get anything like I was expecting........ 7ohms? I wasn't sure if I would get anything... but 7ohms? Really confused now!

I believe I used silicone to seal the drivers and I'm hoping I don't have to take them out to figure this out,

Really Hoping there's someone a lot smarter than me that can help

Garth

Attachments

·
Registered
4,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ody  /t/1524895/what-did-i-build-10-to-12-years-ago#post_24545486

The reason for needing your help is....

I'm not sure how much power I can run to it?

Can I run the amp in bridged mode?

2X Adire Audio 15" Tempest Drivers(one up one down)
TempestWhitePaper.PDF 278k .PDF file

How is it wired? Your guess is as good as mine... I remember being very confused at the time and actually speaking to someone from Adire as I wired it...

I did borrow a multi meter and measured across the + and - speaker terminals on the bottom of the sub

I did not get anything like I was expecting........ 7ohms? I wasn't sure if I would get anything... but 7ohms? Really confused now!

]

I'm not familiar with these at all, but this seems pretty straight forward.

From here: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/subwoofers/adire-audio/tempest/prd_125237_2741crx.aspx

It lists:
Adire Audio Tempest Subwoofers

Product Description

DIY 15" long excusion subwoofer. Dual voice coil, 750 watts power handling, Fs 18.8Hz

Since you have 2 subs, it should be 750x2= 1500 watts power handling.

From your white paper:
3.2 Why dual voice coils?

After asking about the T/S parameters, the next most common question is “why dual voice coils?” Most

high-end subwoofers have a single voice coil; so why dual?

Simply put, dual voice coils dramatically increase the flexibility of the driver. Most obviously, the total

impedance of the driver can be changed. As each voice coils is nominally 8W, one can run a single voice

coil and have a nominal 8 ohm woofer. But wiring the voice coils in parallel will yield a nominal 4W

woofer. And wiring the voice coils in series will yield a nominal 16W woofer.

You have two subs, so you have a combination of series parallel wiring internally. IE: Each sub could be series for the two voice coils and then the two subs are paralleled together. Either one of these series parallel combinations will give you an 8 ohm load, but that will read approximately 7 ohms when using a multimeter.

Bridged mono, the iNuke 3000 should produce between 1500-1800 watts into the ohm load that your sub has. You can limit the power that the amp produces in the DSP settings if you are worried about blowing the subs.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts