AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the term "buy" loosely because I just got a great deal on a used Yamaha RX-V675 through my local Craig's List and the guy threw in some Polk Audio speakers. I've never owned Polks before. He didn't have model numbers when I contacted him, so I didn't know what I was getting until I took them home, but this is what I ended up with - two RT55i, a CS245i center and a PSW350 sub. The speakers look to be in very good shape. Decent speakers? Good enough to start an HT for a smallish room? I can find some matching rears on ebay, presumably, if I decide to use these. I won't really have a chance to listen to them for a while, had to stick them in storage for now.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The speakers are older but I remember them being well liked. I actually remember these speakers because at the time I wanted a pair. Ultimately I never made the purchase, but for a small room they will get the job done. I've never been a big fan of Polk subs nor do they seem to have much of a fan base around here. If you're looking for a good budget sub check out the subwoofer board for their budget list. There are a lot of great choices out there for not too much money.

As a side question (and possibly a weird one if you're not) are you an LA Kings fan?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speakers are older but I remember them being well liked. I actually remember these speakers because at the time I wanted a pair. Ultimately I never made the purchase, but for a small room they will get the job done. I've never been a big fan of Polk subs nor do they seem to have much of a fan base around here. If you're looking for a good budget sub check out the subwoofer board for their budget list. There are a lot of great choices out there for not too much money.

As a side question (and possibly a weird one if you're not) are you an LA Kings fan?
Thanks, Allen. I'm sure this one won't go too low and I will probably get a decent sub like a Hsu or a Velodyne at some point; although this is going to be going into an apartment so I'm not sure just how much thump the neighbors would really want. In any case, this one was literally free.

And yeah, same screen name, same person. This forum is clearly lacking a serious discussion on the topic of "what to do about Brown?" We're just the guys to remedy this problem. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the RT25i and RT15i along with the same center. They were good in the sense that they never did anything offensive. Not the most detailed speaker in the world, but pretty enjoyable overall.

I have long since moved on from them, but sometimes I miss the laid back sound they had for music. I've heard other Polks that didn't offer the same sound signature.

You should be able to snag some RT15i, RT25i, or RT35i for a decent price on ebay. Supposedly the whole line is voiced to match.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi, Santi,

Don't know the price you paid for your haul, but I suspect you were not robbed, and probably will be relatively satisfied. I own a lot of Polk speakers, and find great value in their above-entry level speakers. In fact, I would be thrilled to own a pair of the RT55i and the CS245i at any kind of good price. The Yamaha AVR you purchased is very well reviewed/talked about.

So, be happy. Rejoice, in fact. I'll bet you have a heckuva deal!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Santi, more specifically, the RT55i speakers are (from what I have read and surmise about similar Polk woofers/tweeters/design) large "bookself" speakers that will deliver excellent AND substantial sound to your ears. They are large for bookshelf speakers, and they put out a LOT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Santi,

Don't know the price you paid for your haul, but I suspect you were not robbed, and probably will be relatively satisfied. I own a lot of Polk speakers, and find great value in their above-entry level speakers. In fact, I would be thrilled to own a pair of the RT55i and the CS245i at any kind of good price. The Yamaha AVR you purchased is very well reviewed/talked about.

So, be happy. Rejoice, in fact. I'll bet you have a heckuva deal!!!
I paid the princely sum of $100 for the whole shebang, so if this setup makes any noise at all, I'm getting my money's worth. I'm glad to hear the 55's are well-regarded. They can do some duty in a bedroom music system when I buy something more reasonable for HT purposes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts