AVS Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2141 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
How about some specifics regarding the sonics? Could be helpful to anyone in the market for a new integrated amp.
I don’t know the vocabulary so bear with me.

Smooth but doesn’t miss any detail
Very detailed but not choppy
Never harsh, not laid back, not bright.
Doesn’t need to recover just keeps going
Clean but not sanitized
Excellently balanced between fluid and technical
great at all levels.
Can listen as long as I want.
All genres work - Beethoven’s 5th really cranks out great. So does trance, pop, metal.

Will the neighbors call the police? No. But it is magically all there and extremely satisfying.

It’s the one Goldilocks would pick!

·
Audio Engineer
2,335 Posts
Did this over the weekend. Traded my superb Line Magnetic LM805IA SET integrated in on a Line Magnetic LM512CA preamp and LM503PA monoblocks.

My (cocaine) dealer made me an offer that was firmly in the 'automatic yes' category. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Audio Engineer
2,335 Posts
I'm moving across the country (again) in two weeks, but here's how the set looks in its birthday suit:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I added a small computer (NUC in a fanless case) to our home network to serve as a Roon Core. After not finding Roon worth the money years ago, it or I -- or both -- changed enough so that I'm sold now. I'm having a great time exploring new music with Roon and Qobuz.

I could add a photo, but it's just a small black box. :)

·
Audio Engineer
2,335 Posts
I added a small computer (NUC in a fanless case) to our home network to serve as a Roon Core. After not finding Roon worth the money years ago, it or I -- or both -- changed enough so that I'm sold now. I'm having a great time exploring new music with Roon and Qobuz.

I could add a photo, but it's just a small black box. :)
1.8 is really a pleasure to use and actually seems to fulfill the original promise of Roon.

I, too, eschewed Roon way back when... only to have adopted it in like fashion just two months ago.

Did you go core i5 or i7?

Reactions: Mike in NC

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did you go core i5 or i7?
Having used small computers since 1979, I've never wished I had less power, less RAM, or less storage. I over-specified this unit considerably, with an i7, 16 Gb RAM, and a 500 Gb M.2 SSD.

Installing ROCK was easy, just following instructions. Moving my Roon library from another PC did not go well, but that was a minor hitch.

It works so well I forget it's there -- the best sort of technology.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
First of my additional GIK panels arrived for ceiling treatment, it will be a benefit for both my 2/ch and multi/ch I'll post some before and after if all goes well!

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I have the Focal Aria bookshelves.
And a friend has and loves the Celestee.

But...

I liked the stage of the open HD650 so much more even though the sound of the Celeste was way better, so Focal Clear MG’s are on their way. I want to also try HD800S and HEDDphone.

I've listened to the Focal Clear, Utopia, etc. and still ended up going with HD800S over them. The HD800S sounded the most "speaker like" due to their sound stage. I am not the biggest fan of headphones but the HD800S seem to work for me.

Reactions: I.T. Guy

·
Audio Engineer
2,335 Posts
Having used small computers since 1979, I've never wished I had less power, less RAM, or less storage. I over-specified this unit considerably, with an i7, 16 Gb RAM, and a 500 Gb M.2 SSD.

Installing ROCK was easy, just following instructions. Moving my Roon library from another PC did not go well, but that was a minor hitch.

It works so well I forget it's there -- the best sort of technology.
I totally agree with you. I have never once said (except in jest) that "this computer is WAY TOO FAST!"

But I have often said it was too slow.

My i7 Nucleus is spec'd nearly identically. I can upsample anything I want to DSD512 or 705/768khz 32 bit PCM with impunity.

Nice options to have.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've listened to the Focal Clear, Utopia, etc. and still ended up going with HD800S over them. The HD800S sounded the most "speaker like" due to their sound stage. I am not the biggest fan of headphones but the HD800S seem to work for me.
I just got the MG’s in and will probably be moving them along. The Celestee is better and it’s not that they are different and closed. The MG is just a bit dull for me compared. I’ve only given them an hour so we will see over time but my first reaction is they are great sound but even the 650 stage was better. So I can’t wait to try 800 but have to sell one of these first.

·
Registered
409 Posts
2121 - 2140 of 2141 Posts