AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2142 Posts

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I pretty much stayed quiet and let the guys tell me what they though. What they said they heard...the goldmunds came in last place because they were quite a bit lighter in the low end than the other two. The MIT's got a couple shots at it because we tried them in their 3 different resistance settings. The middle setting was kinda shrill but oddly the high setting and the low setting sounded pretty similar to one another. The low/high setting was very good, sounded smooth and realistic but seemed to accenuate the upper midrange. Ultimately they chose the Cardas. It sounded a lot like the low setting on the MIT's but without the upper midrange boost, they described it as "Just sounding right". I did all the cable switching so they stayed seated and the volumes were level matched. I heard the same things they were describing so it was a lot of fun. I believe the models involved were the MIT shotgun S1's which are discontinued, not sure about the goldmunds model as I am unfamiliar with the line, and the Cardas were the Clear Reflection. It was a lot of fun to play with, kept us entertained for an hour or so :)

I noticed that you have the new Avenger. Congrats ... really ....... congrats. I have a Classic Signature w/ 3d arm with Koetsu Rosewood Signature.

I'm still pissin around with tubes in the phono stage. I haven't really gotten to cables yet. One thing at a time.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Bryston 4B ST. Picking it up on Monday and adding it to my two channel system. Spent quite a bit of time listening to it today (2 channel naturally, to stay on topic for the thread.) No extraneous noises and even comes with a test sheet, showing that its rating of 250 wpc at 8Ω is very conservative. It's actually kicking out over 300 wpc. THD is negligible. Distortion tests were apparently done at maximum output and at 4 different frequencies. Last time I saw such small numbers was in school physics class.

Looks like a healthy addition to my system.

Oh, man, sorry, I know I'm a day late but, I just found the amps for you :D;)

Who needs a furnace when you have these?

That's right ..... Eighty Four output tubes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I noticed that you have the new Avenger. Congrats ... really ....... congrats. I have a Classic Signature w/ 3d arm with Koetsu Rosewood Signature.

I'm still pissin around with tubes in the phono stage. I haven't really gotten to cables yet. One thing at a time.
What phono stage are you using?

BTW, I love the Classic Signature with the Koetsu Rosewood pairing. That might be my next cart. I want to check out the Avenger sometime soon, too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Fosgate Signature v2.

If I go above $20k on a table the Kronus would merit a careful look. I love the looks of that thing.
I'll probably be looking at a new turntable next year when I move my current setup out of my bedroom and into a dedicated room and keep the TNT for a second system.

I love the look of the Kronus, too, but I think I'm starting to get practical as I get older - I just keep thinking about what a PITA it would be to keep clean. :)

Maybe something simple and elegant like the AMG Viella 12 with an exotic wood skirt to match the Koetsu Rosewood cart....

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I'll probably be looking at a new turntable next year when I move my current setup out of my bedroom and into a dedicated room and keep the TNT for a second system.

I love the look of the Kronus, too, but I think I'm starting to get practical as I get older - I just keep thinking about what a PITA it would be to keep clean. :)

Maybe something simple and elegant like the AMG Viella 12 with an exotic wood skirt to match the Koetsu Rosewood cart....

The intent of the Classic Signature was to be the last turntable for life. I still have much to do with amps speakers, cables, etc.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The intent of the Classic Signature was to be the last turntable for life. I still have much to do with amps speakers, cables, etc.
Whenever I bring a new component home, my wife always points out that the previous one was supposed to be the "last." I always tell her, "It was the last one, this is the next one." ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Whenever I bring a new component home, my wife always points out that the previous one was supposed to be the "last." I always tell her, "It was the last one, this is the next one." ;)
Hmm. That sounds disturbingly familiar. Nice comeback though. I'll have to try it when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Went through a bunch of best produced and best imaging lists, listening to what I had on hand, thankfully quite a bit. Helped that I was alone in the house, so I was able to crank it at will. Mostly hi-res Flac ripped from vinyl>Squeezebox Touch>Anthem MRX 500>Salk Supercharged Soundtowers + Vandersteen sub

=

·
Registered
783 Posts
Went through a bunch of best produced and best imaging lists, listening to what I had on hand, thankfully quite a bit. Helped that I was alone in the house, so I was able to crank it at will. Mostly hi-res Flac ripped from vinyl>Squeezebox Touch>Anthem MRX 500>Salk Supercharged Soundtowers + Vandersteen sub

=
I use spotify, listen to songs if i like it i go buy the .flac from bandcamp.com Since flac sounds better than spotify & it's local media for my Denon NAP, then im happy..

·
Registered
625 Posts
OK. The Bryston is hooked up in my cave.

Had to have a rethink as to how I was going to use it. Discovered that the zone 2 pre outs on the Yamaha do not give variable output, so it's either flat out or silence. Luckily, a few seconds of flat out did not damage my speakers. Those Martin Logans are built tough, it seems. Although I can vary the volume on the PC, I figured I value my hearing too much to entrust it to an errant mouse click. I'd rather have a hardware solution.

So the 7.2 and 2.0 systems are completely separate, using my Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus as a preamp, being fed by an optical digital signal from my PC. I have never had need for balanced cables and don't possess any, so I've hooked the DACMagic and the Bryston together with an unbalanced cable I happened to have laying around.

First thing to note is that bad recordings sound terrible. I never realized just HOW terrible. Unfortunately, I have some recordings that I will not be hearing much of in future. That became apparent in very short order. But I'm certainly hearing detail I never heard before, such as a flautist drawing breath on Bolero (Reference Recordings RR-92CD). This has been one of my go-to albums for a while so to hear detail of which I had previously been unaware is quite impressive.

I played Rick Wakeman's "Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" earlier. There is some deep bass on Merlin the Magician that I wanted to check out. The kick in the chest from the Martin Logan's 8" woofers, being properly driven, was pretty spectacular. Again, this is a recording I've been listening to for years; at least 25 of them. I was relieved to note that the recording is extremely good, with no noise that I could hear.

It appears that everything I've read is true. The ML electrostats DO benefit from decent amplification. At lower volumes, the sound seems fuller, and the urge to turn up the volume to crazy levels is diminished somewhat.

At some point, I'll switch out my electrostats and check out the Motion 40s and Motion 20s just for the hell of it.

Reactions: Theothergreg

·
Registered
783 Posts
OK. The Bryston is hooked up in my cave.

Had to have a rethink as to how I was going to use it. Discovered that the zone 2 pre outs on the Yamaha do not give variable output, so it's either flat out or silence. Luckily, a few seconds of flat out did not damage my speakers. Those Martin Logans are built tough, it seems. Although I can vary the volume on the PC, I figured I value my hearing too much to entrust it to an errant mouse click. I'd rather have a hardware solution.

So the 7.2 and 2.0 systems are completely separate, using my Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus as a preamp, being fed by an optical digital signal from my PC. I have never had need for balanced cables and don't possess any, so I've hooked the DACMagic and the Bryston together with an unbalanced cable I happened to have laying around.

First thing to note is that bad recordings sound terrible. I never realized just HOW terrible. Unfortunately, I have some recordings that I will not be hearing much of in future. That became apparent in very short order. But I'm certainly hearing detail I never heard before, such as a flautist drawing breath on Bolero (Reference Recordings RR-92CD). This has been one of my go-to albums for a while so to hear detail of which I had previously been unaware is quite impressive.

I played Rick Wakeman's "Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" earlier. There is some deep bass on Merlin the Magician that I wanted to check out. The kick in the chest from the Martin Logan's 8" woofers, being properly driven, was pretty spectacular. Again, this is a recording I've been listening to for years; at least 25 of them. I was relieved to note that the recording is extremely good, with no noise that I could hear.

It appears that everything I've read is true. The ML electrostats DO benefit from decent amplification. At lower volumes, the sound seems fuller, and the urge to turn up the volume to crazy levels is diminished somewhat.

At some point, I'll switch out my electrostats and check out the Motion 40s and Motion 20s just for the hell of it.
what model of bryston ? Any pics ?

·
Registered
625 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Nice score, those are nice amps :) Gota love Class A/B Have you ever heard a class a amp yet ?

I think there are some mod's for the 4B amp to improve it..
Yes. I was listening to a BC Acoustique a while back. I had intended to buy one, but this one came up by chance so I decided to grab it. Saved quite a bit of cash too.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, today I visited the Crutchfield retail store in Charlottesville, VA. I always wanted to check it out. I never managed to because it is a 3 hour drive from home but today I was in Charlottesville for a doctor's appointment at the University of Virginia Medical Center and I thought I would stop by and see what all they had. I was shocked to see only four 2-channel units on display and those units were all hooked up to the same pair of Cambridge Audio SX-60 bookshelf speakers laying sideways on the floor under the table. They had a Onkyo TX-8160 Receiver, Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier, Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amplifier and a NAD C 316BEE. Even if I were interested in one of these units the demoing situation was abysmal. I left after less than 10 minutes in the store. It was a big letdown after looking forward to going for years.

So, in short, I had a bad day shopping for my next receiver and CD player upgrade. :(

Reactions: bmcn

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well, today I visited the Crutchfield retail store in Charlottesville, VA. I always wanted to check it out. I never managed to because it is a 3 hour drive from home but today I was in Charlottesville for a doctor's appointment at the University of Virginia Medical Center and I thought I would stop by and see what all they had. I was shocked to see only four 2-channel units on display and those units were all hooked up to the same pair of Cambridge Audio SX-60 bookshelf speakers laying sideways on the floor under the table. They had a Onkyo TX-8160 Receiver, Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier, Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amplifier and a NAD C 316BEE. Even if I were interested in one of these units the demoing situation was abysmal. I left after less than 10 minutes in the store. It was a big letdown after looking forward to going for years.

So, in short, I had a bad day shopping for my next receiver and CD player upgrade. :(
Next time I'm in the local hifi store , I'll take some photographs. They'll make you feel better, I promise. Wall to wall 2 channel.

·
Registered
625 Posts
@Pacodutaco

Here's one to be going on with. The equipment in use was the BC Acoustique I just mentioned. 80 wpc Class A.

We were listening to Rush - Hemispheres on vinyl. Good times.

Attachments

Reactions: funky54
21 - 40 of 2142 Posts