AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiring my house for when the Dish installer comes out next week, I want to route the wires so my installer doesn't have to do it (and save $50 an hour).

I need to know what azimuth the antennas will point so I can get an idea of where I want him to mount the antenna (and where I need to route the RG6 to).

I live in Madison, Alabama 35758 and will be getting america top 60 with locals, the HD pack and VOOM.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT
Try:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...ing_Angles.pdf

I didn't look it up but my guess for you would be an AZ of about 260 and EL about 42 degrees for a Dish 500.
Just out of curiosity, what's the basis for the guess (which was incorrect)?

You also should mention that the Dish 500 will NOT get the Voom channels which are on a different bird at 61.5 degrees.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn2
I need to know what azimuth the antennas will point so I can get an idea of where I want him to mount the antenna (and where I need to route the RG6 to).

I live in Madison, Alabama 35758 and will be getting america top 60 with locals, the HD pack and VOOM.
For the Dish 500: Azimuth Angle 224 Degrees, Elevation Angle 39 Degrees, Skew Angle 124. You will need a second dish for the 61.5 satellite (Voom channels), Azimuth Angle - 142 Degrees, Elevation Angle 42 Degrees.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Just out of curiosity, what's the basis for the guess (which was incorrect)?

You also should mention that the Dish 500 will NOT get the Voom channels which are on a different bird at 61.5 degrees.
The guess was taking my az/el for my location then thinking what the numbers would be for Alabama. Wow on the AZ difference, I didn't think AL was that far west.

About the 61.5 bird, good advice. I didn't know so I figured it was better for someone else to supply that info. Is there a "Super dish" that can get the 61.5 with 110 and 119?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GS,

I'm pretty sure you need a separate antenna to get the 61.5. Even if there is one available, an antenna that could pick up E1,2 and 3 would have to have a very wide beamwidth, so you would give up a lot of antenna gain which would hurt signal strength.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn2
GS,

I'm pretty sure you need a separate antenna to get the 61.5. Even if there is one available, an antenna that could pick up E1,2 and 3 would have to have a very wide beamwidth, so you would give up a lot of antenna gain which would hurt signal strength.
Thanks auburn2.

I guess there is no other way than to have your roof like like air traffic control. LOL

But seriously, it looks like setting up a single LNB dish would be a piece of cake compared to super dish or dish 500 seeing how you don't have to worry about skew.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Look up the skew and elevation angles. Then, set the dish up exactly to those marks.

If the post is perfectly plumb (and, that is the key), you should be able to drop the dish onto the post, tighten the bolts until it still barely can turn (this can affect the elevation if they are loose), and then scan the azimuth slowwwwwly. They will usually come in. You can fine-tune elevation and azimuth after getting things close.

But remember, skew is affected by any out-of-plumb-ness of the mounting post. Get that right, and the rest is pretty easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.