AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just back from Circuit City in Anderson, SC after purchasing my 34XBR2. I'm disappointed that I have to toss my DirecTV receiver and purchase an expensive HD version. What are you using and what do you recommend?

Any advice for a new owner would be appreciated as well. Delivery is scheduled for Wednesday.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm using an RCA DTC-100. You could do a search on that here and find a lot of threads and comments here.

It's certainly the best value in an all-in-one STB. You can get one with the oval dish that's required to get the DTV HD channels for about $550-600 from several on-line dealers.

It gets Direct TV, plus OTA HD and SD via two VHF/UHF antenna inputs. I Use all three inputs - DTV, UHF HD signals from the stations here and my old analog cable for a few local stations I can't get any other way.

Its only significant drawback is that it doesn't have component outputs. All HD signals go out a VGA output. (It also has S-video and composite outputs for SD) RCA and several other people sell VGA-to-Component adaptors if your set doen't have a VGA plug.

Picture quality on HD is outstanding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use a Mitsubishi SRHD5. It comes with component outputs so there is no need to use adapters. I'm currently having some trouble with it but hope to solve that problem soon. No problem with DirecTV though....Just some simple' local digital channel mapping problems.

------------------

William

Go Bucs

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the RCA is a good one and has withstood the test of time. The Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic are all newer and each offers some different bells and whistles features in addition to higher expense. Personally, I haven't purchased an HD-STB just yet and right now I'm glad I haven't. I'm waiting to see if Dish Network really will buy out RCA. I'd hate to make an investment any further into Direct TV on such shaky ground. We should know reasonably soon how this will unfold. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

COBRA

. . . Unleash the Hounds of Hell . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Mitsubishi SR-HD 500 system (SR-HD5 receiver)the end of April. I had lip sync problems, along with other glitches and then lost almost all of my subscribed channels one day. There was a screen message "Channel Not Available". After many hours, I called DirecTV and they said their service was not down and did some re-sets of my unit. Some channels came back, but some did not. They said it was a problem with the unit.

I exchanged it for a Sony SAT-HD100 and had that until a few days ago. I loved the looks of the unit, the remote is great and the guide is great. The only problem is that the picture sucked. Many channels were very shimmery, or pixilated, with a lack of detail (HD was good). I thought it may be my new Mitsubishi 46807 TV, but a tech checked it out and blamed the Sony. I took it back and decided to try the Mitsubishi SR-HD5 again, hoping that I had a lemon the first time. I miss the remote and the guide, but the picture is fantastic and that is what counts. It is much better than the Sony, even in HD (where Sony had some artifacts). Formatting to the screen is much better on the Mits and it uses grey bars if necessary, unlike Sony with the black bars. I hope the problems of the first unit don't reappear.

[This message has been edited by DrewBoy (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cobra:
I'm waiting to see if Dish Network really will buy out RCA.

Your going to be waiting a long time. Dish is trying to buy Directv not RCA. RCA is owned by Thompson

------------------

Directv Subscriber (oval dish)

RCA UTV, Hughes 2 E25 and 1 Hughes E11

Wishlist:

Sony T60

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
You can look up posts on these HD STB's 'till the cows come home:

1) RCA DTC-100

2) Panasonic HDS20

3) Sony HD-100

4) Hughes/Mits/Tosh whatever their model numbers are

The DTC-100 won't work with your Sony TV w/out a transcoder (you need component in). You also need to determine whether you want to have 2 or 3 inputs (to support analog as well as digital) for the future; only the HD-100 has 3 inputs.

I've been happy w/the HD-100 (my only complaint is no non-satellite program guide info) and I use all three inputs (analog cable/OTA/satellite); plus, it's the only STB with a front-panel display (which still amazes me).

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you check the latest The Perfect Vision magazine they have the best, most comprehensive print review to date on HD receivers for DTV. I have a DTC-100 and TU-HDS20, I returned the lousy SAT-HD100. None of them are prefect but the Panasonic blows the sony away. I just wish the Panny remote and guide filters were better. If I had it to do all over again I would have gone Panny for both.

------------------

TN55x81-TUHDS20-AVR210-SD6200 Down...DTC-100, TSL3295HF, VSX-D710, AD-800

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.