AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am a current subscriber to Dish Network and I have the model 6000 receiver with the 8VSB tuner. I already enjoy OTA HDTV. My problem is that I do not have the second dish to get the Dish Network HDTV.

My question is, What dish do I need and where can I buy one as a stand-alone. I would suspect that I simply need to install it to start getting my Dish HDTV since I already have an account with them and I have an HBO subsciption as well.

Thanks.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
830 Posts
To give you the best possible advice, we need to know:

1. How many receivers do have

2. Is your existing Dish a Dish500, and if so, does it have 2 seperate LNBs or a "Twin" LNB.

You will need a Dish 300 and a multiswitch (or several multiswitches), but I can't give specifics without knowing the details of your setup.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Dagman,

This isn't necessarily true. He can only use SW21 switches if his original dish is a Dish 300, or his original dish is a Dish 500 with a twin LNB. If his original dish is a Dish 500 with two regular LNBs and a SW21, he would need to replace them with a twin, or buy a fancier switch like the SW64.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarahlea:
I have the same question as Torre. What is the difference between a twin LNB and two separate LNB's?
On a system with only a Dish 500, the twin is functionally equivilent to two dual lnbs and two SW21s. However, the twin is different in that it can be cascaded with SW21s and another dish to look at a third location.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I stand corrected. I'm relatively new to this game and I'm not very familiar with the older equipment. Thanks for correcting my error.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Dish 150?? with twin LNB. It feeds 1 "normal" receiver and the 6000 receiver.

I need the second dish to get the HDTV programing. I sense a problem, however, I only have two RG6 cables going from my receiver (in basement) to the roof (4 story house). One cable is connected to the OTA antenna and the other is connected to the current dish. If I need a third cable to connect to another dish, I am screwed. I do not care about picking up any signal other than HDTV on this receiver but I may need to have it connected to the "regular" dish simply to allow comunication with Dish Network.

I hope I am wrong and I can use it with just the 1 dish connected. I know that OTA will not work unless it is connected to the dish.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

[This message has been edited by Torre (edited 05-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Torre (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mark,

You don't need any additional cables if you put the SW21 on the roof.

Cut the wire going from your 6000 to the "twin", and connect the end from the 6000 to the input of an SW21. Connect one output the the SW21 to the wire you cut going to the twin, and the other wire to an LNB on a new Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 or 148.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Torre - if you can receive channels 101 and 989, then you probably have a "Dish500" (it will look cockeyed with a "fat head"). Since you said there are 2 RG6 cables only, we're assuming that you have the TWIN.

To get the Dish HD offerings, you need a 2nd dish pointed at the 61.5 slot. You can mount this 2nd dish up on the roof close to your Dish500. Take an output from the LNB on the Dish300 (the one pointed at 61.5) and put a SW21 on it. Have another cable go to the Dish500 (the connection that goes to your 6000). Use another short RG6 cable from the LNB to the other input on the SW21. Then run your original long cable into the output on the SW21. (At least this is what the final setup will be). For aiming purposes of the 61.5 dish, use a barrel connector in place of the SW21, then put the SW21 back in place. Run a Check Switch on your 6000, and you should be ready to go.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I dunno . . . maybe I don't know what I'm talking about . . . Ben, won't he need 2 RG6 cables from the roof to the receives since 1 receiver may be watching the 61.5 sat and the other receiver may be watching the 110 sat?

Here is my response . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Torre:
I need the second dish to get the HDTV programing. I sense a problem, however, I only have two RG6 cables going from my receiver (in basement) to the roof (4 story house). One cable is connected to the OTA antenna and the other is connected to the current dish. If I need a third cable to connect to another dish, I am screwed.
This is not a problem if you only use 1 receiver, with a (modern) Dish 500 and a Dish 300, you only need 1 RG6 from the dishes to the receiver. So, you can continue using the other one for the terrestrial antenna. But if you use both receivers independently, you might need to use a diplexer to have your terrestrial antenna share an RG6 with one of the satellite lines.

But what is this Dish 150? Is that an old dish? Perhaps you should buy a modern Dish 500 and a SW21 switch and then use the Dish 500 to get 110 & 119 and use the Dish 150 to pick up the 61.5 or 148 sat. Ben, does that sound right?

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It sounds like Mark is confused on the model number but from his description, it is a Dish500 with a Twin LNB. Dish never had a model 150.

Ben's advice is correct. I had my system hooked up that way before I moved. The cost for a Dish300 and one SW21 is under $100.

-Robert

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242:
Ben's advice is correct. I had my system hooked up that way before I moved. The cost for a Dish300 and one SW21 is under $100.
But could you watch the 61.5 sat on the model 6000 while simultaneously watching the 119 sat on the other receiver with such a set up? I would think that would require 2 SW21 switches and 2 RG6 runs. (A diplexer could be used have the terrestrial antenna share an RG6.) Where am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242:
It sounds like Mark is confused on the model number but from his description, it is a Dish500 with a Twin LNB. Dish never had a model 150.
I Know its not a 500! I bought it late 1999 and hooked it up myself. I just do not remember the model. It is 1 LNB with two outputs. I think I mislead you. There are two cables from the Dish (1 to the 6000 receiver and 1 to the other receiver on a different floor). I was mearly saying that I only had two RG6 cables connected to the 6000 (in that room). There are indeed three cables to the roof. Only two of them go to that room.

I am using them both already. OTA antenna and "old" dish. I think that I understand that if I get this SW21 switch then I can use 1 cable and have it connected to the two dishes. Is this correct? Heck this should be cheap if that's the case.

Now, the next part of the question, "where is a good place to purchase?"

Thanks for all of your help!!!

------------------

Mark A. Torre

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mark,

What you have (one lnb with two outputs) is called a Dish 300. You are correct that you can use a SW21 and another Dish 300 to add support for the 61.5 or 148 slot. If you have any desire to get 61.5 non HDTV programming on your second receiver (mostly educational and foreign channels), add a second SW21.

As for which vendor, I have been very pleased dealing with Mark at dishdepot.com.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
There are indeed three cables to the roof. Only two of them go to that room.
Oh! Well you are in great shape then . . . no need for any cable pulling.

Quote:
I think that I understand that if I get this SW21 switch then I can use 1 cable and have it connected to the two dishes. Is this correct? Heck this should be cheap if that's the case.
Don't get a Dish 300, get a Dish 500. Although I think the majority of Dish's programming is on one or the other of 110 or 119, you might as well be able to get them both. Get a modern Dish 500 and point it at 110 *and* 119. Then use your old dish and point it at 61.5 *or* 148. This way you'll get 3 satellites total. Use a SW21 to connect the Dish 500 & Dish 300 feeds to the model 6000. For the other receiver, you might just want to hook it up to only the Dish 500 that has most of the normal programming since your Dish 300 will be pointed to 61.5 that gets foreign & HDTV stuff. (As Ben pointed out.) But since you'll be up on the roof anyway and a SW21 isn't that expensive, I'd would get 2 SW21s and hook up both dishes. You never know how E* might shift their programming around in the future. (or if you'll get an HDTV in your other room in the future.)

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the same question as Torre. What is the difference between a twin LNB and two separate LNB's?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Hello all. I am a current subscriber to Dish Network and I have the model 6000 receiver with the 8VSB tuner. I already enjoy OTA HDTV. My problem is that I do not have the second dish to get the Dish Network HDTV.

My question is, What dish do I need and where can I buy one as a stand-alone.
All you need is a SW21 switch and any dish with an LNB. The official dish to get would be a Dish 300 but by what I hear you could use any DSS dish including a direcTV dish. Yeah, get that dish and start enjoying HBO-HD! You are already paying for it and it is the best HD available! (Unless you love CBS TV).

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:
Get a modern Dish 500 and point it at 110 *and* 119. Then use your old dish and point it at 61.5 *or* 148.
Yes. I like that idea a lot.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I Just ordered a Dish 500 with dual LNB and a SW21 switch from Dish Depot. Paid $103 delivered. Excellent deal. I look forward to watching HBO in HD. Too bad I missed the entire Sopranos season due to procrastination!!

------------------

Mark A. Torre

[This message has been edited by Torre (edited 05-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Torre (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Too bad I missed the entire Sopranos season due to procrastination!!
Season finale is Sunday, 9pm *eastern time*. (6pm west coast).

Curt was smart, he posted the link to the exact wiring arrangment I was trying to describe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your Dish 500 is with two dual LNBs not a Twin and you want to connect all three, 110 119 and 61.5 or 148, together, you are going to need a switch 42 or 44 work with SW21 or a SW64 alone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.