Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Well been looking into building new home theater in our house that we just purchased. We have a basement and after looking around at the local Ultimate electronics store i think we want to go the DLP projector route. Was thinking about just getting one of the newer DLP big screen TV's but after seeing the HD DLP projector on 100+ inch screen we really want to go that route (wife wants to :) ). We saw the sharp 12000 model and that looked really impressive, they are asking like 11,000 for that at the store but i see it can be had for around 7k online. Ive seen reviews of the BENQ one using the hd2+ chip as well and would like to see that somewhere. So my questions are what is the DLP projector to get , like to keep it around 7-8k at the max. and if anyone knows anyplace in/around the Gilbert Arizona area you can go check any of these projectors out. Also if anyone can recommend any home theater people (installers etc) in Arizona, i would appreciate it. Thanks for any info

-Vinman

·
Registered
87 Posts
The new generation may have the latest Ti chip in them and some other upgrades/fixes. The main thing I see the new models doing is decreasing the prices of the stock left out there of the HD2+ models that retailers have. I personally was able to work with a local retailer to give me a good deal on a Marantz VP12S3 since the S4 is supposed to arrive in Jan/Feb. I decided that the PQ was more than acceptable from the S3 and took the lower price to use the savings on seating and equipment.. As far as which HD2+ PJ to get, well that really depends on your HT room and ability to control light. How big is the screen going to be? How much light control will you have?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Room is going to be my basement so i can control the light pretty well, there isnt any direct light, we have blinds on all the window wells so i can make it pretty dark even in the day. The screen i want to be pretty big the wall it will be on is like 12.5 feet long and i figure i can have the projector around 16 feet or so away. Deciding on seating right now, probably go with berkline 90s, leather match with power. Let me know if there are any recommendations

thx

Vinman

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well I would take a good look at the optoma H77.

I have had it for 2 months now and I have 160+hrs on it and I absolutely love it.

It has a crisp clear picture, great black, vivid colors and watching HDTV on a 119" screen is priceless :) and you can get one(the H77) for about $5900 give or take.

Steve

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I suggest skipping the DWIN TV3. I have one and have had problems with it. Their support has to be the worst. They argued that nothing was wrong with my projector before they ever looked at it. They would only answer every third e-mail. When I sent it in, they wouldn't fix it cause they claimed nothing was wrong with it even though I described all the problems in a long letter. So I sent it in several times to get fixed and they adjusted some stuff in it. A couple of times the problems got worse. They offered to replace it or buy it back (at 30% lower than what I paid) and then said they never made the offer to replace it. The last time it was sent in, they told my dealer that they replaced everything inside the projector. But that was an obvious lie since the projector came back with the same problems and still had the same dead pixel.

The Sharp is a nice unit and the Marantz is a really nice unit. But the Marantz is a short throw projector with an optional expensive lens replacement.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I can say my experiece with DWIN is 180 degrees different. I h love the fact that I can talk directly to the engineers at DWIN. They replaced my DEMO I got from AVS because of the fan noise.

Given the choice I will always buy DWIN because of their product and service.

In fact I am building my next savings for the 3 chip DWIN next year or in 06.

Greg

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Dont rule out LCD or LCOS. They are three chip projectors for similar pricing(not just 1 chip). YOu really should see the latest and greatest from all three technologies

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
Dont rule out LCD or LCOS. They are three chip projectors for similar pricing(not just 1 chip). YOu really should see the latest and greatest from all three technologies
Tryg i agree and am in that boat now. Do you have any sense of how projectors like the H77 compare to the new round LCDs? Particularly brightness and contrast level. I kinda feel like i might be 'overpaying' at this point for a $6k DLP....

I have a light controlled room with a studiotek 130, 110" diag. I will like ot use ambient light during some viewing like sports when its a more 'social' situation.

John

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
go see an AE-700. That's my choice at $1800 until Canon delivers their XEED SX50 for $4k

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Quote:
go see an AE-700. That's my choice at $1800 until Canon delivers their XEED SX50 for $4k
Thanks for the advice, how would you characterize the differences between the ae-700 and something like an optoma h77? Contrast, brightness/ambient light performance, color 'vibrancy'?

Even though the H77 is about $3500 morei wonder is the ae-700 image is as good, based on the reviews ive been reading...

Thanks again for your impressions theyre really helpful!

John

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I dont look at 1 chip DLP. The image looks to digital and fake to me. Plus I cant stand the rainbows.

It's best if you evaluatewith your own eyes

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:
The image looks to digital and fake to me.
Nothing is more fake than bouncing light off mirrors... :rolleyes:

Can you see your reflection in the mirror Tryg?

;)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Quote:
I dont look at 1 chip DLP. The image looks to digital and fake to me. Plus I cant stand the rainbows.

It's best if you evaluatewith your own eyes
Interesting, you dont find the same 'digital and fake' characteristics with the LCD projectors? Or is it that the cost is so low you dont mind it? :)

Agreed on the 'my own eyes' thing, im trying ot make that happen...

John

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
LCD definately has its own issues.

I just feel the smooth and stable image from 3 chip units are a notch above 1 chip designs.

1 chip designs are great for static images (powerpoint presentations)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i see a vote for the Optoma h77, Anyone know anyplace in arizona you can see one of those? how about the benq model 8700 with the hd2+? That sharp 12000 model at Ultimate looked really good ,i just cant see paying 11grand for it, and isnt sharp coming out with a new model next month that uses the hd2+ chip for like 4k ? If anyone knows of any Arizona places you can see some other these other projectors i would really like to see them in person. The place i will probably have do my home theater already told me i should prob get the projector online since they cant beat the online prices for some of these projectors (like the sharp 12000 being 11k at the store and like 7k online) So im probably going to go the online route but would like to see them first. Also can anyone recommend good online place with good pricing and service (i.e not some fly by night, gone tomorrow place)

thx for the info

-Vinman

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.