AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46 inch Samsung LCD and a Sony Bluray player and Coraline in 3d seemed to work nicely on it.


What exactly does getting a new 3d enabled display do that my current display doesn't do?


Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts
Have you been to a 3D Cinema to see a movie like Avatar or Up? If you have, did the images you saw at the theater look the same as those you see when watching Coraline on your HDTV?


The images on the Coraline Bluray look like this - It's called Anaglyph 3D:





These are the glasses you wear to see the 3D effect





When you buy a new 3DTV, you will see true stereoscopic full color images. You will wear glasses like these:




And you will see images like these (this is just an example of two full color HD left and right images)




They will be flashing on your 3DTV in sync with those LCD active shutter glasses above. You will see approx. the same high quality 3D that you see in a 3D Cinema
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18297755





They will be flashing on your 3DTV in sync with those LCD active shutter glasses above. You will see approx. the same high quality 3D that you see in a 3D Cinema

So for a 1080P source/display, is each eye only going to have slightly less than 540 lines? Sounds like a step back to SD to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Nope, it's the same 1080p fullHD, just that both images are overlayed and slightly off centre from each other (is what it looks like without the glasses), then the glasses that you wear (in the above case shutter) have LCD lenses which go black to clear only allowing a specific eye to see one of the images. The reason you need a new display is for the 120hz (as each image is displayed at 60fps still).


I wasn't under the impression that we'd be using shutter glasses for movies at home, more the polarised glasses that simply have one polarised lense on a vertical axis, and the other on a horizontal, to only allow each eye to see the specific image (if you hold polarised sunglasses up to each other, one vertical and one horizontal you'll notice they black each other out so you can't see through them).


The beginners guide to 3D on the frontpage of AVSForums explains all this best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18297941


So for a 1080P source/display, is each eye only going to have slightly less than 540 lines? Sounds like a step back to SD to me.

Have you seen Avatar? Hardly a step backwards! I've watched some current 3D BDs with the cardboard glasses and they're poor at best. The new HDTVs will be a major step forward. Sorry, but you're present equipment just became obsolete, which doesn't mean you can't continue to enjoy it for years to come. It just means you're no longer at the leading edge, which is where most on these forums want to be. Another bitter pill to swallow!
 

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwelks /forum/post/18297636


I have a 46 inch Samsung LCD and a Sony Bluray player and Coraline in 3d seemed to work nicely on it.

Don't call that headache-inducing, color-destroying anaglyph crap "3D"!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18297941


So for a 1080P source/display, is each eye only going to have slightly less than 540 lines? Sounds like a step back to SD to me.

That's just a picture I use to denote full color left and right images. With 3D BD, each image (L & R) is 1920x1080 Full HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,958 Posts
Thanks Lee. I have since read that excellent post by Ron and (maybe it is just me, the technique of frame doubling seems to be the best method. Sorry the correct name is ? I guess my question is - which system will the industry settle on, and are the shutter glasses (I know JK is all for them) really the best option?


No I did not see Avatar in 3D in cinemas, just the 2D film version. However I have seem some awesome full 1080P 3D using HT gear and shutter glasses. At the time (CEDIA 08), the only source was PC based, and the glasses were listed at some $200/pair. I've seen (and quite like) Dolby 3D in cinemas and research suggests that could have worked in the home with front projection, not flat panels, and why I guess there is a need for something else.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18302626


Thanks Lee. I have since read that excellent post by Ron and (maybe it is just me, the technique of frame doubling seems to be the best method. Sorry the correct name is ? I guess my question is - which system will the industry settle on, and are the shutter glasses (I know JK is all for them) really the best option?

The 3D BD standard calls for Full HD per eye in the Frame Sequential AKA Page Flip 3D format. This requires the shutter glasses.


CBL and SAT are using different 3D formats due to their bandwdith restrictions - get the 3D signal to fit in an existing HD signal space/bandwidth. Side by Side and Top/Bottom have been selected. They offer 1/2 HD resolution per eye. They too will use shutter glasses as pretty much all the 3DTVs being sold in the USA will use them.

Quote:
No I did not see Avatar in 3D in cinemas, just the 2D film version. However I have seem some awesome full 1080P 3D using HT gear and shutter glasses. At the time (CEDIA 08), the only source was PC based, and the glasses were listed at some $200/pair. I've seen (and quite like) Dolby 3D in cinemas and research suggests that could have worked in the home with front projection, not flat panels, and why I guess there is a need for something else.

The glasses are going to run from $133/pr to $150/pr though Samsung has two other offerrings for $200 each; rechargable (the others use a "coin" Lithium battery) and a pr made for children.


Front projection has little to offer so far. Only LG (AFAIK) [$10,000 MSRP] has announced a 3D 1080P Full HD per eye PJ which uses twin LCOS chips and works on polarized light so no shutter glasses, but you will need a silver screen which is going to be an issue with 2D viewing due to their tendency to hot spot.


The Dolby 3D system requires a special set of glasses - passive in nature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I dont understand if anaglyph is dead now studios releasing movies like coraline in that format?

Will it look stereoscopic in brand new 3d monitor?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsert /forum/post/18303857


I dont understand if anaglyph is dead now studios releasing movies like coraline in that format?

Will it look stereoscopic in brand new 3d monitor?

You mean the current 3D release of Coraline on BD? No - it is still Anaglyph. That is the way it was encoded. They will have to release a new encode using the S3D AVC-MVC method.


Coraline was one of the last Anaglyph 3D BDs released
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18304847


If it just runs as 2D content on the 3D monitor won't it stll look stereoscopic when using the glases for it.

The glasses (ASGs) work in conjunction with the special software (S3D BD). If there are no alternating L & R frames - there is no 3D.
 

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18304847


If it just runs as 2D content on the 3D monitor won't it stll look stereoscopic when using the glases for it.

Yes, you can still watch anaglyph content on a 3D TV. You run the TV in 2D mode, though, and you use the colored glasses that came with the disc, not the shutter or pol-filter glasses that came with the TV.
 

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
Joined
·
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18304808


Coraline was one of the last Anaglyph 3D BDs released

Oh, I hope and wish this is true. We have no guarantee for that, though.


I just thought of that, the "3D" feature is actually a great argument to buy the Blu-ray over the DVD. People have been saying "upscaled DVDs look good enough on my HDTV", but when they get to compare an anaglyph DVD of e.g. "Avatar" with the full color 3D Blu-ray version, things might be a bit more obvious.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top