AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds stupid, but what exactly does a better, more expensive subwoofer do exactly? Does it thump harder? Play lower? Anything else I'm missing?

I'm moving from a HTiaB subwoofer to something more substantial soon and don't exactly know what I'm missing since I've never really heard one. Would something around $400 be a major upgrade or should I wait until I have a lot more to spend? These damn things are expensive!

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
A better-quality, "next level" subwoofer should be able to do all of the following reasonably well: dig deeper, hit harder and play more cleanly.

Depending on which new or gently-used subs you spend your money on, $400 should buy you a noticeable improvement over an HTiB sub. (E.g.: The SVS PB10-NSD is an excellent and very well-rated sub.)

·
Registered
331 Posts
+1 on the Svs and +1 on the Emotiva! I will also throw in the Hsu Stf-2 in that price range! All these are night and day better performance wise to your current HTiB sub.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbuzz /forum/post/20794978

I would add definition and clarity in the lower regions to the mix.

This what I experienced. I went from a cheap Onkyo to a HSU STF-2 subwoofer and the difference is not small, in fact you can feel the difference, literally (depending on your room size). Not only do the bass notes are more clear, everything is more punchy and tight, which makes music listening more pleasurable. Also for movies, I heard many things in the lower frequencies that I did not realize was there, and it wasn't just a low rumbling muddy sound like I heard before, but actual sounds and pitches that really enhanced my movie watching experience.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice! My room is very small...13Wx15Lx8H with a large (probably 8-9 foot) opening in the back where it enters into a hallway.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20805603

Add up the cubic feet that connect to the room. Now it's not so very small.

I've discovered that.
I'm just gonna order one (ED A2-300) and then worry about the giant hole later. I'll either set up heavy curtains or some sort of door/wall. I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to recommend something!

Though, i dont really care if bass is even throughout the whole room or how it feels as long as its ok where i am sitting.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If the sub is near where you're sitting (nearfield), it'll be felt pretty well even in a large room.

You'll need something solid to isolate the room (curtains probably won't cut it) if you want to really maximize it, but nearfield sub placement is the usual solution for large rooms and subs in the $400 or so range (or a bigger sub, but that's only if you want to spend on it.)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent. I ordered the A2-300 subwoofer and i will get to work on that big hole when i get time. Thanks for the information!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts