AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubishi WD-57831 DLP, and while I'm not looking for a professional calibration (yet...), I would like to do some user tweaking with the PerfectColor and PerfectTint controls.


However, I'm not sure what Cyan and Magenta are supposed to look like when calibrated! Is there a place where I can find a correct SMPTE color bar pattern? Or where I can download 1920x1080 calibration images for use on PS3 and 360?


Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG /forum/post/0


Viewing colour bars on your computer monitor isn't going to help unless your computer monitor is calibrated.

I have a 6500k setting on my monitor and am using the sRGB color profile...I figure that's pretty close (have also used the Media Center patterns).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0


Yeah... but now we know what cyan and magneta look like.

No we most certainly do not.


You can use those colorbar patterns to set color properly, but you certainly cannot use them as a reference to know what they're supposed to look like obviously.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin /forum/post/0


I have a 6500k setting on my monitor and am using the sRGB color profile...I figure that's pretty close (have also used the Media Center patterns).

That is a terrible assumption. The 6500K setting on your monitor is extremely unlikely to be accurate at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0


That is a terrible assumption. The 6500K setting on your monitor is extremely unlikely to be accurate at all.

Any suggestions then, other than getting an ISF calibration? I'm just looking for some basic, do-it-yourself tips and am overwhelmed with the options on the TV.


I have DVE, GetGray, and the THX patterns and glasses, but nothing else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0


No we most certainly do not.


You can use those colorbar patterns to set color properly, but you certainly cannot use them as a reference to know what they're supposed to look like obviously.

What is your problem?

Did you not pay attention to the "wink" or do you just like to continually to take jabs at me? Ease off a little... thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin /forum/post/0


Any suggestions then, other than getting an ISF calibration? I'm just looking for some basic, do-it-yourself tips and am overwhelmed with the options on the TV.


I have DVE, GetGray, and the THX patterns and glasses, but nothing else.

Well, without colorimetry equipment, you're basically stuck using your eyes and guessing, which can be fine. You can still use colorbars correctly to set colors fine, but greyscale is different, and the secondaries will depend on that as well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/0


What is your problem?

Did you not pay attention to the "wink" or do you just like to continually to take jabs at me? Ease off a little... thanks.

I'm sorry, but it wasn't clear to me that you were being sarcastic. My mistake. In any case, we're on the same page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,723 Posts
Greetings


Made me laugh there. I once had a client in LA that made me come back because the calibrated image on his RPTV did not look like his 6500K setting on his computer monitor ... which he somehow took to be correct because it said so.



Cyan is between blue and green. Now you have to determine if you want blue cyans or green cyans.


Magenta is between red and blue. Now you have to determine if you want blue magentas or red magentas.


Without test gear ... it just comes down to your "taste."


Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
The logician in me says:


The primary colors are

red

green

blue
The secondary colors are

"not red" = green + blue = cyan

"not green" = red + blue = magenta

"not blue" = red + green = yellow
I'd assumed that the secondaries are equal parts of the two primaries that make them up. Is that not the case?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi /forum/post/0


The logician in me says:


The primary colors are

red

green

blue
The secondary colors are

"not red" = green + blue = cyan

"not green" = red + blue = magenta

"not blue" = red + green = yellow
I'd assumed that the secondaries are equal parts of the two primaries that make them up. Is that not the case?


Well, sure. But again, how do you establish equal parts of the two primaries? You have to measure that, which is what we're all getting at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi /forum/post/0


The logician in me says:


The primary colors are

red

green

blue
The secondary colors are

"not red" = green + blue = cyan

"not green" = red + blue = magenta

"not blue" = red + green = yellow
I'd assumed that the secondaries are equal parts of the two primaries that make them up. Is that not the case?

Not if you think of it as


cyan = not red = white - red.


Which is what it is in reality on a gamut diagram - the primaries align with the secondaries thru the white point - secondaries are NOT the mid point of the edge. If Red+Blue+Green is balanced for a 10000K white - then Red+Blue would be more Purple than Magenta. This assumes color/tint are correct - what color/tint does is rotate colors around or push away (towards) the white point - or it may just make colors brighter. You really need gear if you want to fine tune these individually beyond what you can do with AVIA filter checks.


While it will not help with individual color controls which would require calibration gear that you know works well out at the primaries - when using color bars visually I would look at yellow first - much easier to tell if it is lime or orange - or even lemon more than banana yellow. I have heard some criticism of calibrated PJs having a mustard yellow - that is what it is supposed to be - people get used to the limy yellows which is very wrong!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik /forum/post/0


Not if you think of it as


cyan = not red = white - red.


What do you mean "not if I think of it as"? That's exactly how I think of it. So I'm confused what you mean by "not".


If my set were perfectly calibrated, I'd have white = 100% red + 100% green + 100% blue. Then cyan would be 0%red + 100% green + 100% blue, right?


So what is it that I'm not "not" thinking of it as?


Roy
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top