AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just trying to do some early brain picking regarding whether or not I should upgrade my sub and get a bit more of understanding regarding what I would get if I do so.
My current setup: Q Acoustings 3050x2, 3020x2, 3090C, running along with a single Dayton Audio Sub 1500. Receiver is Denon AVR-X3400H
Room Size: 20 x 15 x 8.5. Room is above the Garage, wooden floor.
Listening distance: 12 to 15 ft.
Listening preferences: Movies/TV - 50%, Music 50%, including 5.1 Surround music/SACDs.
Volumes: TV/Movies are generally at -40 to -50 volume levels. Music is usually -20 to -10 volume levels.

I'm quite happy with the system, but I'm 'loosely' considering a subwoofer upgrade. Loosely because - I'm in Canada - and nothing is really available here in budget. Ideally I would get something for 500 CAD, but I dont see anything that would be an upgrade unless I do 500 USD. I'll be slow to pull the trigger because even if I got with 500 USD - Id be looking at another 200 USD minimum for shipping and customs. Given the circumstances, I had a couple of questions:
1. What is your suggestion, and what would I gain over my current sub to make it worth the investment
2. If i do get a new sub, whichever size and make it might end up being - should I consider replacing the sub1500 or augment it?

Ive looked at RSL speedwoofer 10s, HSU etc - dont have any preference really. mostly will come down to budget, but i dont want to spend for something that may not make a difference if I replace the Sub-1500.

Thanks!! Looking forward to a hotly debated thread :)

-Vin

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I’d wait until you can afford a substantial upgrade, and that means a bigger budget than $500 USD. While subs like the RSL Speedwoofer, Monoprice Monolith 10, and the SVS PB1000 are better than your Dayton 1500, I think they’re more of an incremental upgrade.

I’d shoot for something in the $1,000-$1,200 USD range for that big wow factor jump.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I’d wait until you can afford a substantial upgrade, and that means a bigger budget than $500 USD. While subs like the RSL Speedwoofer, Monoprice Monolith 10, and the SVS PB1000 are better than your Dayton 1500, I think they’re more of an incremental upgrade.

I’d shoot for something in the $1,000-$1,200 USD range for that big wow factor jump.

not to hijak this thread, but i am in a similar situation as the OP. only i have an energy xl-s10. was thinking of going svs pb1000 x2 though.

would that be aubstantial or should i spend the $1000 on just one sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
not to hijak this thread, but i am in a similar situation as the OP. only i have an energy xl-s10. was thinking of going svs pb1000 x2 though.

would that be aubstantial or should i spend the $1000 on just one sub?

Spend the $1000 on one sub then later on when your budget permits, get a 2nd.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Hey all,

Just trying to do some early brain picking regarding whether or not I should upgrade my sub and get a bit more of understanding regarding what I would get if I do so.
My current setup: Q Acoustings 3050x2, 3020x2, 3090C, running along with a single Dayton Audio Sub 1500. Receiver is Denon AVR-X3400H
Room Size: 20 x 15 x 8.5. Room is above the Garage, wooden floor.
Listening distance: 12 to 15 ft.
Listening preferences: Movies/TV - 50%, Music 50%, including 5.1 Surround music/SACDs.
Volumes: TV/Movies are generally at -40 to -50 volume levels. Music is usually -20 to -10 volume levels.

I'm quite happy with the system, but I'm 'loosely' considering a subwoofer upgrade. Loosely because - I'm in Canada - and nothing is really available here in budget. Ideally I would get something for 500 CAD, but I dont see anything that would be an upgrade unless I do 500 USD. I'll be slow to pull the trigger because even if I got with 500 USD - Id be looking at another 200 USD minimum for shipping and customs. Given the circumstances, I had a couple of questions:
1. What is your suggestion, and what would I gain over my current sub to make it worth the investment
2. If i do get a new sub, whichever size and make it might end up being - should I consider replacing the sub1500 or augment it?

Ive looked at RSL speedwoofer 10s, HSU etc - dont have any preference really. mostly will come down to budget, but i dont want to spend for something that may not make a difference if I replace the Sub-1500.

Thanks!! Looking forward to a hotly debated thread :)

-Vin
As a Canadian, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, $500 CAD doesn't get you a lot of sub compared to the US. I would save up a bit (or bite the proverbial bullet) to invest in either a sub from HSU, PSA or Rythmik. If you ask for a quote from either of them, they give you the all-in price (sub + taxes + duty + shipping) so you know what you're going to be paying without any surprises. The HSU I got is way more than I have ever spent on any single speaker, but I know I'll never need to upgrade apart from maybe adding a second one down the road.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Monoprice Monolith 10" or SVS PB-1000 would be a noticeable upgrade over your current sub. If you've got some woodworking skills, DIY will give you the most bang-for-buck upgrade.
Thanks guys - appreciate the recommendations. Perhaps I should just hold off.

@eljaycanuck - Can you elaborate on noticeable? Also, if I get a sub in the 500 range, Id probably be able to run it along with the DAyton. Would it be better to have 1 $1K sub or or 2 subs, one being say the Monolith/SVS and the other being the Dayton?

Im not sure DIY is a good option. The only place that seems to sell DIY goods in Canada seems to be solen.ca. But I dont even know what drivers to buy, what enclosures etc. Also, it would have to be more of an assembly job that an actual building job for me.

@Ryan Statz. @sk373 - you said "I would save up a bit (or bite the proverbial bullet) to invest in either a sub from HSU, PSA or Rythmik" - Can you specify which ones? in this $1K range...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

@eljaycanuck - Can you elaborate on noticeable? Also, if I get a sub in the 500 range, Id probably be able to run it along with the DAyton. Would it be better to have 1 $1K sub or or 2 subs, one being say the Monolith/SVS and the other being the Dayton?

Im not sure DIY is a good option. The only place that seems to sell DIY goods in Canada seems to be solen.ca. But I dont even know what drivers to buy, what enclosures etc. Also, it would have to be more of an assembly job that an actual building job for me.

@Ryan Statz . @sk373 - you said "I would save up a bit (or bite the proverbial bullet) to invest in either a sub from HSU, PSA or Rythmik" - Can you specify which ones? in this $1K range...
https://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-subwoofers-c-1/nsd-series-c-1_9/?zenid=96junsr0n7aifsjvdq3osiv5c2
These are the est subs to get in Canada for anywhere close to your budget. Oddly enough, the Polk HTS-12 is actually a pretty capable sub, and can usually be found on sale below $500CAD at Best Buy. Check out 2001 Audio Video and Visions; both sell Polk and you should be able to find a decent discount.

https://shop.gsgad.com/ sells flat-packs and subwoofer drivers for assembly. All you would really need is some wood glue and clamps for the assembly, and some wire, bolts, and a terminal cup for the electronics. You would also need to buy an amp - specifically one with DSP (Digital Signal Processing) such as the NX3000DSP to power a single sub. Any kit from GSG Audio will blow the doors off of any consumer-grade sub.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would just save a bit more and go with GSG Audio enclosure, Ultimax driver, Behringer NX amp.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

@Ryan Statz . @sk373 - you said "I would save up a bit (or bite the proverbial bullet) to invest in either a sub from HSU, PSA or Rythmik" - Can you specify which ones? in this $1K range...
https://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-subwoofers-c-1/nsd-series-c-1_9/?zenid=96junsr0n7aifsjvdq3osiv5c2
These are the est subs to get in Canada for anywhere close to your budget. Oddly enough, the Polk HTS-12 is actually a pretty capable sub, and can usually be found on sale below $500CAD at Best Buy. Check out 2001 Audio Video and Visions; both sell Polk and you should be able to find a decent discount.

https://shop.gsgad.com/ sells flat-packs and subwoofer drivers for assembly. All you would really need is some wood glue and clamps for the assembly, and some wire, bolts, and a terminal cup for the electronics. You would also need to buy an amp - specifically one with DSP (Digital Signal Processing) such as the NX3000DSP to power a single sub. Any kit from GSG Audio will blow the doors off of any consumer-grade sub.
Hah, just saw this after I posted my comment, couldn't agree more! 🙂

Reactions: n1ghtcrawl3r

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
@Ryan Statz. @sk373 - you said "I would save up a bit (or bite the proverbial bullet) to invest in either a sub from HSU, PSA or Rythmik" - Can you specify which ones? in this $1K range...
Depends on your usage, and whether that $1k is USD of CAD. Have a look at subs from HSU, Power Sound Audio, and Rythmik. If it's $1k CAD, then it'll likely be the HSU VTF2 MK5 or the Rythmik L12. All-in cost on either of those should be just slightly above $1k CAD. If it were me, I would hold off until you can go for one of those brands' larger subs (which will likely run you anywhere from $1500 - $2000 CAD) like the HSU VTF-15H MK2, PSA V1512 or Rythmik FVX15 for ported options or the HSU ULS-15 MK2, PSA S1512 or Rythmik F15HP for sealed options.

I think the HSU in either case is the least expensive, but that doesn't mean it's a worse sub - IMO, I think you're getting more sub per dollar spent with the HSU. That is also not to say that the Rythmik or PSA aren't good value for the money - all three of the companies I've cited come very highly-regarded, and you honestly can not go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

1) I wouldn’t run any of the popular $500 subs alongside the Dayton. They will have different tuning points from the Dayton, and will be difficult to blend. It’s likely you would get cancellations at certain frequencies.

2) HSU, PSA, and Rythmik are all strong options in the $1,000-$1,200 range. My bias is toward PSA (I am a PSA owner), but you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
2) HSU, PSA, and Rythmik are all strong options in the $1,000-$1,200 range. My bias is toward PSA (I am a PSA owner), but you really can’t go wrong with any of them.
I'm a HSU owner, and yeah there's truly no bad choice in either of those 3 brands.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@sigpig @blake18 You got me interested in considering building one myself. I can get a behringer nx3000D for CAD 469 and the Dayton UM18-22 for CAD 427 - both sourced locally with free shipping. However the enclosure is turning out to be super expensive. USD 288 for the enclosure but USD 400 for shipping. How big/heavy are these boxes? :p

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
@sigpig @blake18 You got me interested in considering building one myself. I can get a behringer nx3000D for CAD 469 and the Dayton UM18-22 for CAD 427 - both sourced locally with free shipping. However the enclosure is turning out to be super expensive. USD 288 for the enclosure but USD 400 for shipping. How big/heavy are these boxes? :p
You might as well get a 15" HSU, PSA or Rythmik at that point if you're considering spending nearly $1600 on a DIY, and not have to worry about assembling it yourself.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
GSG Audio will likely work out a deal that should knock off some of that shipping cost. I'd email them on their contact page.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
Is that a typo?? If not, have you run Audyssey on your Denon yet?

-40MV on my system is extremely low, and -50MV is like a whisper..... :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Alan P - not a typo. I did run Audyssey and gave +5db to the center channel. Most evenings I find -55 sufficient, but i would say movies and tv I average -49. For 5.1 channel music -25 is very loud, however for stereo I could higher that -10db. Ive locked it at -10 because I dont want my kid turning up knobs and blowing everyones ears :). I had guests over last week for a movie too - same levels..was ok for everyone

Also - I think I have pretty average hearing. My wife calls me deaf though but that works in my favor :p

·
Registered
582 Posts
@Alan P - not a typo. I did run Audyssey and gave +5db to the center channel. Most evenings I find -55 sufficient, but i would say movies and tv I average -49. For 5.1 channel music -25 is very loud, however for stereo I could higher that -10db. Ive locked it at -10 because I dont want my kid turning up knobs and blowing everyones ears :). I had guests over last week for a movie too - same levels..was ok for everyone

Also - I think I have pretty average hearing. My wife calls me deaf though but that works in my favor :p

+5 on a center is really high. i have a different receiver (pioneer elitte lx503) but my DT CS9040 is still is at -2 i think with my BP9060 are at -3.5.

i get that every system is different, but could your audyssey be wrong? i am only asking for my own learning. +5 seems really high for a center channel.

i have run denon receivers in the past, and i wouldnt even be able to hear anything at -55 volume level.

·
Registered
582 Posts
@Alan P Also - I think I have pretty average hearing. My wife calls me deaf though but that works in my favor :p

every wife should think we are deaf. it’s called “selective hearing”. it is something every good husband develops as the marriage moves forward

1 - 20 of 68 Posts