AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting into vinyl and wanted to know what would do I consider for under $200 for one, used or new?

What are the important factors for upgrading/improving one if I got a used one?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
This is just my opinion, but if you have to ask this question, you probably shouldn't be buying a used turntable. And you can't buy anything decent new for that price.

kabusa.com sells refurbed Technics SL20BD tables for $200 that have been thoroughly gone over and fixed up by a true turntable maven. In your price range, that's the only thing I can recommend.

·
Registered
3 Posts

If you can buy a Technics SL20BD refurbed for $200, grab it.  Strong, durable, decent sounding turn table.

Been running mine since about 1975.  Refurbed once.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
One thing I recall is a low mass tonearm is best.
What you are recalling is an old audiophile myth. The truth is more complex than this. These days, truly low-mass tonearms are pretty rare outside the high-end stratosphere.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
If you can buy a Technics SL20BD refurbed for $200, grab it. Strong, durable, decent sounding turn table.

Been running mine since about 1975.
Check the model number. I don't believe Technics was making that particular model 40 years ago. What you have may be similar, or it may be very different but with a similar name.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I can only speak for the quality of the SL20BD. The other one appears to have been part of a one-brand system, which tended not to be high quality.

If you buy a used table, you should almost certainly get a new cartridge right away (and maybe a new belt), so you have to figure that into the cost.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus  /t/1525154/what-do-i-look-for-in-purchasing-a-turntable-used-or-new#post_24592050

I can only speak for the quality of the SL20BD.

On the ebay link for the SL20BD it says: Requires an adapter for playing 45 rpm records Not Included. Cartridge cover not included

Is a adapter expensive and where would one be found? Is a cartridge cover important to have?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Is a adapter expensive and where would one be found?
Heaven only knows. It should be a 10-cent plastic part.
Quote:
Is a cartridge cover important to have?
No.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus  /t/1525154/what-do-i-look-for-in-purchasing-a-turntable-used-or-new#post_24594073

No.

Are you saying the adapter could be hard to find?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Nah. You should be able to pick up a plastic 45-rpm adapter for $5 on eBay, or a nicer metal adapter for $10 or so. Assuming of course that a family member or friend doesn't have one lying around that they'd give you.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus  /t/1525154/what-do-i-look-for-in-purchasing-a-turntable-used-or-new#post_24594073

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal  /t/1525154/what-do-i-look-for-in-purchasing-a-turntable-used-or-new#post_24594569

Nah. You should be able to pick up a plastic 45-rpm adapter for $5 on eBay, or a nicer metal adapter for $10 or so. Assuming of course that a family member or friend doesn't have one lying around that they'd give you.

Thanks guys for your help and input. I haven't fully committed to getting a turntable I just wished all of the audio nirvana wouldn't be so costly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts