AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my current LCD with Faroudja NRS to the Canon Realis SX50 front projector. This is an LCOS projector with native resolution of 1400 x 1050 which can produce superb results ONLY when fed at it's native rate over DVI-D input, bypassing very poor internal scaler and deinterlacer. I haven't really found a dedicated video processor that will work well with my sources and the idiosyncrasies of this projector. So now I'm looking at HTPC.

The projector does NOT support HDCP.

My equipment is located in a separate room from my projector and screen, I use an infra-red repeater system to communicate with the equipment from the viewing area. The HTPC would need to be able to do this as well.

I have three sources: HDTV over the air using the LG LST4200A tuner than can output either over component or DVI at 720P (no HDCP). HD cable box, outputs at 720P over component only. My current DVD sources is a Denon 3910, outputs 480P over component, can upscale via the DVI/HDCP output. I am wondering if any of the internal drives/processors for DVD can really output the superb image of this Denon with its DCDi processing. If not, I'll need to be able to input it to the HTPC and have it, along with all the other sources, upscaled to 1400 x 1050 and output to the projector over a single DVI cable.

The HTPC needs to be able to support variable timings as apparently the projector is a bit quirky in this regard and needs to be "tweaked" from standard timings a bit. It also needs to support the use of an anamorphic lens.

Once set up, simplicity of operation is critical. I need to be able to switch simply and quickly between the three sources and control all normal operations via remote.

I'd appreciate any comments you all can offer as to whether HTPC is a viable solution and where I go to get one built. I'm reasonable conversant with computers but most certainly am not qualified to spec and build this unit.

Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dan:

I've been following you on the Canon thread in Digital Projectors. I'm glad someone is finally going to bite the bullet on this projector. I for one believe it's a good deal. I would have bought it last time I was home in Texas, but for the dust blob issue. It's great that this sound like it may have been corrected.

Anyway, back to your question.

You can buy HTPC from a number of sources, but for your needs (requirements) you would have to add additional software (most of it free). I don't know how much you frequent this forum but an HTPC is just a computer with generally, the following comonents; a DVD drive, a good video card, TV tuner / capture card, sound out to SPIF, plus anything else you may want. I have also a DVB satellite card, remote control with and LCD display in mine. Most this stuff already comes in a bog standard computer. The real key is the software. Everything you want to do, you can do with an HTPC.

From the looks of your components, it appears that the only thing you will be using the HTPC for is to upscale DVDs. Everything else would just go through your A/V system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To make things simple to begin with, just buy (online) TheaterTek DVD player and download (free) FFDshow. You can return to this board for setup later and ripping DVDs to your hard drives. Oh, also buy the big hard drives, a 500 gig drive can hold about 100 movies uncompressed (once you delete all the extras and crap).

If you want to upscale your HD inputs through your HDPC to 1400 x 1050, we may have a problem. There is no capture solution (cheap) for DVI or Component into an HDPC. If this is what your looking to do Dan, I would suggest a scaler as talked about in the Canon thread. Sorry.

Anyway, that's about it in a nutshell.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.