AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a ton of talk about people building HTPC and have been thinking about this idea. I have a NEC XG-110 PC that I will need to feed with a new HTPC. I really have no idea on how or what I need to make a good Home theater pc. Can anyone give me some ideas and cost involved?

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Rick!

How the heck are ya?? I can tell you that one of the single best images I have seen on a screen came from an excellently tweaked HTPC with a MP-1 Mod.

So I had Mysphyt (Chris Collins) here on the forum build one for me. Cost is $1400 or so, depending on what you want. It came fully loaded and scoped to perection.

I'd certainly recommend Chris, but regardless of who you go with it's an excellent base of operations!

Ted

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ted,

I have a friend whom does build computers and I was talking to him and he said that before he could tell me if he could build one, he needed to know what they are made up of. Like to know what makes up a HTPC and what advantages they have over a progressive dvd straight into the back of a PJ?

Rick

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Rick,

I'm no computer guy, so I have to pass on the specific components, however there are a lot of proprietary settings needed to make it sing. Many of these settings have probably been discussed on this forum, so someone else may be able to chime in.

I was going to have a PC friendly guy at work put mine together, but the various settings and software were unknown to me so I gladly handed the total turn-key project over to Chris. I'm very glad I did.

As far as advantages, the primary feature is the scaling. The DVD player can't do this. I forget what PJ you're using, but you'll want a larger image scaled.

Ted

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ted,

I am using a XG-110 for my PJ. I would love to get a PC but I think I am going to hold off a little due to the cost. I do think this is the right way to go but after just dumping a ton on money into my room I think I need to take a break from it or else I might end up not being married any more if you know what I mean. I think for right now I might have to just go with a progressive DVD player and weight a year unless I can find a way to build one cheaper then this.

Rick

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Rick,

When I tell you I understand... believe me, I understand.

Ted

·
Registered
326 Posts
What do you want from the HTPC, dvd palyback , Dscaling of standard video, HDTV, Time shifting...

If all you want is great DVD playback this can be done for a low cost, if you do it right..

Add ons like a TV capture card for dscaling, and time shifting of video cost around $40+ so that may be somthing you may want to do due to the low cost..

HD gets spendy quick, as any cutting edge tech usualy does . but as the HTPC goes you can always add it later when prices drop a bit.

I do DVD and Dscaling and ripping dvd to divx (180 gigs of drive) and my box cost me around $500, and it does a great job.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem I am having is that I no nothing about HTPC so it makes it very hard to figure out what I needed. What I am doing is looking at upgrading my DVD palyer to a progressive and feed it to my XG-110 PJ but then I was told to look at HTPC. I want the best pic quality I can get but have no idea on how to achieve this with a HTPC.

Rick

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would start with the FAQ at the top of this area. After reading that, you will have a better idea and can narrow down your questions a bit. The quick answer is a cheap Radeon 7200 in a cheap 800Mhz or more PC with a cheap s/pdif sound card and a cheap DVD drive. You can work your way up from that into better quality components.

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi

first you got to know what your pj can handle as far as resolution and refresh rate. WHICH I BELIEVE YOUR PJ HANDLE MORE THAN AVERAGE..:D

second.

where you going to place your htpc, thats will determine if you wanna go big case or small case to fit into a cabinet.

third is hardware+ software.

more likely you gonna have to read about all threads for htpc component,and software.

poewer supply with 400watts

pioneer dvd player

ati video card new version

motherboard p4.1.8ghz.256ram.

i think 850 chipset is new now

you need board with usb ver2.0 and firewire 1394 , if you can.it worth it,

sound card you got all colors andflavors. you need one that give you optical port connection, in case you have amp with optical .

to avoid hassle with spdif wiering.

GOOD VENTILATION INTO CASE.

basically thats dvd htpc far More than dvd player

even if it progressive.

more that your lucky cause my 2month old htpc now is consider old machine.

so you gonna end up with high end machine if you going to do it now

GOOD LUCK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.