AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten my hands on a Dish 5000 with HDTV modulator, and want to get set up to receive HD-HBO. I do not care about any other Dish content. All I want is HD-HBO. What is the minimal setup?

- which dish do I need

- what sat to I point to (I am in west coast)

- can I get away with only pointing to one sat?

- what is the min monthly fee to Dish for HBO-HD?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS:
You need to have just a dish pointed at 61.5 for HBO-HD only
But you might as well get another dish for the 110&119 sats because you will be paying for 8 other SDTV HBO channels that you might as well receive.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bob,

The dish satellite at 148 is mirroring the HBO and SHO HDTV channels on 61.5, so you can pick whichever satellite is easiest to point to. From the bay area, the position of the 61.5 sat is just about due east, at an elevation of 14 degrees, while the 148 satellite is high in the south-west direction.

One dish for HDTV only works fine for me. You can use any single or dual feed LNB (if you will have only one receiver), Dish or DirectTV. I am using an RCA DirectTV dish/LNB.

Enjoy.

------------------

Carl

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carl, Dagman, and Frank,

Thanks for the assistance. Am I right in that I have to sign up for ALL HBO channels in order to get the HDTV portion? If so, then I probably will go ahead with 2 dishes. My family would probably like to get some of the other HBO movie channels. With my dish pointed only at the 61.5 or 148 bird, I am guessing I will not be able to get any other programs other than the HD stuff (Dagman, your point).

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpearse:
Am I right in that I have to sign up for ALL HBO channels in order to get the HDTV portion? If so, then I probably will go ahead with 2 dishes. My family would probably like to get some of the other HBO movie channels.
I am pretty sure that is true, but ask the clueless Dish rep that probably won't be able to give you a straight answer anyway . . . just to stump them. It is not a challenge to stump them. Ask them about the model 5000 featured on their web site, tell them you want to buy one.

Quote:
With my dish pointed only at the 61.5 or 148 bird, I am guessing I will not be able to get any other programs other than the HD stuff (Dagman, your point).
You can get lots of foreign stuff . . . but no other HBO channels: http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish3.shtml

The SDTV HBO stuff is mostly on 119: http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish119.shtml

But a couple on 110: http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish5.shtml

So, yeah, get 2 dishes. And you might want to consider showtime. They don't have too much HD, but when they get some good HD they do show it in OAR.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have directtv and love it. I got so frikkin ticked by the folkes at Dish who know nothing about HDTV and that 5000 model. One guy did however say and you might want to try this that HBOHD and SHOHD are being broadcast for free if you subscribe to dish and have a sat aimed at 61.5. I have the equipment to try it but I ended up going with Direct Tv and they have said that they plan on adding more stations shortly.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
I have gotten my hands on a Dish 5000 with HDTV modulator, and want to get set up to receive HD-HBO
Oooh, good point . . . Just having a Dish 5000 and the HDTV modulator isn't enough! You need some type of HDTV decoder that can demodulated and decode 8VSB HDTV. Thus you need a DTC-100, HD100, Dish 6000 with 8VSB module,etc. Here is their confusing diagram on how to use the model 5000 for HDTV:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/pr...tv_diagram.gif

From : http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...fo/index.shtml

I think that confusing mess is the reason they bailed on the dish 5000. So, it might not be worth it for you to try to get that 5000 working for HDTV. Just get a model 6000.

*But . . . the model 5000 & its HDTV modulator wanted by people that want to record HDTV. I'll buy it off you if you don't want it. . . .

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 05-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
305 Posts
After looking at that diagram, I'm encouraged by something. You show OTA HDTV plugged into the HD modulator. I've tried that, but it doesn't work. I have to plug the antenna directly into my HDTV tuner, then switch back when I want Dish HD.

What am I doing wrong, do I need to setup something in the Menu's on the 5000?

Jeremy

------------------

D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Hmmm. I'm paying $26.99 for one dish pointed at 61.5 for HBO HD, Showtime HD, and PPV HD. (I can't "see" the other Dish Network satellites, regrettably, as I'm on the east coast and they're low in the sky and I have large buildings in my vicinity.)

Can it be done for less than $26.99?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.