AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a Samsung 6767w 1080p tv from Costso.

Currently I only have the analog basic cable from Comcast (no cable box). The cable goes from the wall into my Vista HTPC and we use the guide and recording there.

So what do I need to get HD going? I see on the Comcast site that you can add HD for $5 a month. I'm pretty sure this is if you already have digital cable with a box from them. What's the minimum package I need? Basically I'd just like to have all the normal basic cable stuff you can get in HD (local channels and DiscoveryHD and those sort of things).

And the next tricky part...how do I continue to use my HTPC with this setup?

At a minimum I'd like to keep getting the SD stuff. Ideally I'd like to record HD as well. I know there are some 1394 hacks or something, but don't know all the details yet. Do I need an HD tuner in the HTPC, or will it come over 1394 and the cable box gets switched by the IR blaster thing?

thanks!

· Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcEWoLF /forum/post/0

an HDTV receiver leased from Comcast...

If i was you..id get Dish Network..im thru cable...they suck + the 10$ increase for all movie tiers = rip off.

I've had Dish for nearly 6 years now, but just yesterday I switched back to Comcast, because I wanted HD + DVR. If I had stuck with Dish for the same level of services, my monthy fee would have been 10 more and my up front cost would have been nearly 300 bucks. The picture quality on the standard def digital channels on Comcast is FAR superior to Dish and the cost is much less. I would have liked to have stayed with Dish, since I have been satisfied with them since day one, but I don't regret my decision in the least.

· Registered
80 Posts
I have the same..HD package+ all channels + High Speed Internet..the price is reasonable..for HS i would stay with cable but for tv..well id rather go with Dish in my area...my buds have dish network hd and it looks far superior than my charter cable hd..

My probs with charter = poor customer support (30 mins + on hold on the phone each time i call them)

Bad SD channels quality analog/digital both look horrific on my new HD receiver

HD channels are grainy + picture looks washed up + UHD freezes frequently, and macroblocking (pixelations) on most of my HD channels..i had 3 techs coming to check out my prob..none of them were able to fix my issue..

For me switching to Dish is not an option anymore...or DTV

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Comparing your local cable performance to the OP's is like comparing apples to oranges.

As for Comcast, if you'd like the premium HD channels you'd need an STB and the HD package. For recording options, check the HTPC forum here, there aren't many easy ways to record premium HD channels with a PC, firewire would possibly be one option.

· Registered
5,943 Posts
It's worth a shot to just go down to the comcast customer service center and pick up an HD box. Don't worry about adding the "HD" tier, just see if it works. Chances are that you'll get HD locals & the basic HD channels.

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,779 Posts
Unfortunately, it appears the 6767 does not include a QAM tuner, which would let you get local HD in the clear that Comcast offers.

Other than getting a STB from Comcast, I'd try an antenna and see what the Digital TV tuner that is in the 6767 will get.

Want to learn more?

- The local topic for your area, found in the HDTV Locals Forum

- www.antennaweb.org

- www.titantv.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.