AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bluejeans HDMI Series 1 25' cable placed in wall (not in PVC though) and am having a lot of problems with artifacts/pixelization. I was not having this prior to using the new 25' in wall cable (I connected directly with an 8 foot HDMI cable). I'm thinking maybe getting a booster/repeater/extender/amp, but am not sure what I need. As far as I can tell the repeater is not appropriate since it needs to be placed in the half way point (approximately) and I already have the 25' cable. I do not need a splitter, so I presume the amp/splitters are unnecessary which would leave me needing to buy a booster of some kind, all of which are fairly pricey. There is a geffen booster on amazon for $155.

Am I on the right track? Any recommendations on brand/type. I can still pull the wire out of the wall I suppose if you think that is the real issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
the HDMI cable in question. Did it say that it can support 1080p or whatever resolution you are at, at the given length (25ft)? Some people have ran close to double that length with no issues.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
odd... that length shouldn't be an issue with that cable...

what are you trying to connect together?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comcast Motorola Box by short HDMI cable run to Dennon 1908 receiver to Philips 52" TV (25' run here).

Also, the artifacts seem to get worse/better depending on the channel. For some reason, ABC in HD is terrible.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
what happens if you connect the stb directly to the tv via the 25' cable?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Artifacts and pixellation can't come from the HDMI cable; the problem is almost certainly with the source. HDMI carries the video uncompressed, so if, for example, you see macroblocking, that has to be in the source because there's no way for the cable to introduce it. The problems caused by cables are typically in the nature of dropout "sparkles," whole-line dropouts, the picture jumping or flashing, or total loss of picture; if that isn't what you're seeing, I wouldn't expect a booster to do you any good here.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kurt. I do not know exactly how to describe what I am seeing. At times their will be a blur in one particular area on the screen, probably no bigger than a tea cup. They come and go very quickly - it is primarily annoying, but it can affect the sound. Other times it looks like a strip has been taken out of the picture and a white background behind that strip shows (like the strip was peeled off) with some blurring around the edges. Again, this effect is very brief, and hops all around the picture - and comes and goes intermittently.

I will try hooking the cable up to the box directly to see if this helps. This is how I had it hooked up with the short cable - it makes sense to doubt the receiver too since that is also new to the equation.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, that sounds odd. I do think hooking it up directly might be interesting--the receiver could be doing something weird in the course of stripping the audio, which might account for it somehow, but I cannot recall hearing of any effect quite like what you describe. Peculiar, indeed.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
that IS odd...

when he said 'artifacts/pixelation' i assumed he meant sparklies/dropouts/flashing... you'd think i'd have learned by now not to assume...

op, have you tried it straight from the box yet? also, it might be worth checking the denon 1908 threads....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your answers. I am now looking into whether this is a cable issue. I have comcast coming on Wednesday. For some reason, I can see channels fine on TV's without STB's, but the HD DVR STB's are not working too well (HD and non-HD channels).

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobus /forum/post/13000930

I have bluejeans HDMI Series 1 25' cable placed in wall (not in PVC though) and am having a lot of problems with artifacts/pixelization. I was not having this prior to using the new 25' in wall cable (I connected directly with an 8 foot HDMI cable). I'm thinking maybe getting a booster/repeater/extender/amp, but am not sure what I need. As far as I can tell the repeater is not appropriate since it needs to be placed in the half way point (approximately) and I already have the 25' cable. I do not need a splitter, so I presume the amp/splitters are unnecessary which would leave me needing to buy a booster of some kind, all of which are fairly pricey. There is a geffen booster on amazon for $155.

Am I on the right track? Any recommendations on brand/type. I can still pull the wire out of the wall I suppose if you think that is the real issue. Thanks in advance.

Good qaulity 1080p HDMI cables (not expensive) can easliy run up to 45' today without any problems before any extender is needed. Its still cheaper to buy another new cable the correct length you need, than having joins/ boosters/ extenders added to what you now have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts