1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since DSOTM has arrived on SACD, I'm planning to get SACD. However,

my reciever doesn't have 5.1 input(I think), only coax and toslink. I don't

know why harman7kardon didn't include it, maybe I didn't spend enough

money on it. So, bottom-line. Do I need a new reciever AND a SACD player,

and then run 6 cables from player to reciever?

Gee, I wish there was another way.

Nicholas

· Registered
3,510 Posts
Your receiver probably does have it, take a really close look. The inputs may even be shared with some other input. Another easy way to check is if you have an input selection called "5.1" or similar.

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EDIT: It doesn't support 5.1 input. Then I'll need a new reciver and

SACD player....:(

Could someone please explain to me if this will work with a SACD player?

I'm a little confused.

Thanks,

Nicholas

· Registered
252 Posts
SACD can't be sent via TosLink or digital COAX.

(Mostly due to rules set by the music industry to prevent copying).

So, you need 6 coax lines to connect the SACD player to a receiver that has 6 coax in.

(Well, Firewire with 5C copy protection is allowed by the rules, but I don't know of any player/receiver combos that support this).

· Registered
49 Posts
you only would need a new receiver if you want to do multichannel (SACD goes via analog inputs). most SACD's are stereo-only and all must include stereo tracks (under the SACD standard) so with a player you could listen to stereo SACD's with your existing receiver. Whether you can hear the difference between stereo-only SACD and a good CD (XRCD) is questionable.

sathyan

· Registered
4,907 Posts
Damn, I think Dark Side of the Moon is going to sell a lot of hardware. It's got to be the best single thing that's ever happened to SACD as of yet. I've even been thinking of upgrading from my $1400 2 channel SACD player.

· Registered
8,011 Posts
Nich, go ahead and get an SACD player and start doing stereo SACD which is a big improvement over CD, me thinks. My first player, Sony 9000ES, was stereo only. Since then all players have a dedicated 2-channel output and a 6-channel outputs. The best players available are the stand-alone SACD/CD players, sans DVD. You might want a combi-player that includes DVD but the Sony ES and Marantz stand-alones look to be the best. Best wishes!:)

· Registered
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
Damn, I think Dark Side of the Moon is going to sell a lot of hardware.
I bought Dark Side before I owned a SACD player. Although it was only a matter of 6 hours or so, Dark Side is the reason I purchased a SACD player.

· Registered
545 Posts
DSOTM purchase last week has definitely got me thinking about upgrading my old CDP. Is this the best value? marantz SA-8260

Mark H

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Nich, go ahead and get an SACD player and start doing stereo SACD which is a big improvement over CD, me thinks. My first player, Sony 9000ES, was stereo only. Since then all players have a dedicated 2-channel output and a 6-channel outputs. The best players available are the stand-alone SACD/CD players, sans DVD. You might want a combi-player that includes DVD but the Sony ES and Marantz stand-alones look to be the best. Best wishes!"

Rachael, I'm a little lost here. Can I set it up to run stereo at SACD's

high performance, or is just the normal CD-track it will play then?

Thanks,

Nicholas

· Registered
609 Posts
Most SACD's are NOT multichannel, so if you just use the stereo outputs of a SACD player you will still get high-resolution SACD sound. You will simply be unable to play back all channels of multichannel SACD's. SACD's are available as stereo, multichannel, and hybrid discs.

Hybrid SACD's are playable in a standard CD player - they actually have a separate standard redbook layer for playback in an old-school CD player. This is in addition to the stereo (or multichannel) SACD layer inside the disc. Regular SACD's (as in not hybrid discs) will NOT play in a standard CD player at all.

23,061 Posts
> "(Well, Firewire with 5C copy protection is allowed by the rules, but I

> don't know of any player/receiver combos that support this)."

The Elite 47ai DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD player and Elite 49txi receiver connect

via Firewire. Works great!

larry

· Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpurvis
Hybrid SACD's are playable in a standard CD player - they actually have a separate standard redbook layer for playback in an old-school CD player. This is in addition to the stereo (or multichannel) SACD layer inside the disc. Regular SACD's (as in not hybrid discs) will NOT play in a standard CD player at all.
Can they be played on a HTPC?

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cpurvis, But in the case of Dark Side, I'll lack 4 channels, that won't

be mixed together to the stereo, right? That would sound pretty weird,

I think. I dont care much about the number of channels, but I care about

missing sound.

Nich

· Registered
545 Posts
My understanding of this DSOTM release and most SACDs with both stereo and multichannel mixes is that all mixes contain all musical material. The multichannel mix would simply distribute the same music we are familiar with from the stereo mix into more channels. No missing music.

Mark H

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If that's the case, then I'm more than happy:)

Nicholas

· Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
My understanding of this DSOTM release and most SACDs with both stereo and multichannel mixes is that all mixes contain all musical material. The multichannel mix would simply distribute the same music we are familiar with from the stereo mix into more channels. No missing music.

Mark H
This is correct. According to the specification, all SACDs must include a high resolution 2 channel mix. This allows for playback on basic 2 channel systems.

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NOW i'm happy. Thanks, guys.

:):):)

Nicholas

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What should I spend to get a decent player? The design plays a role too.

My fianceé would like a harman/kardon, if they make one.

Nicholas

· Registered
484 Posts
Nich,

I got a Sony CE775 5 disk SACD player for $99 from Circuit City (they are dumping them to prepare for the new models). It sounds excellent and may be all you need to get started with SACDs. It has both Stereo and Multichannel SACD outputs and will also allow CDs to be output on a digital output. If you look around you can probably still find one. If you feel the need for something better, you could look into a mod from someone like http://sacdmods.com to improve it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.